Future History Lesson

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
m_a_kelly

Future History Lesson

Post by m_a_kelly » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:21 am

“Science teaches us that life on Earth emerged from the seas millions of years ago,” Mr. Finny began. “Our ancestors crawled out of the waters, entering a world brightly lit by a star during the day, and by a moon and more distant stars at night.

They discovered remnants of an ancient, barbaric civilization. Dwellings taller than the world loomed over them. They wondered what sort of creatures populated the planet before.

Then, they found the pictures.”

Mr. Finny held one up for the class to see.

The children squealed in mock terror, covering their eyes with their foremost tentacles.

http://identifiedflyinglenticulars.blogspot.com/

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Future History Lesson

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:49 am

Classic.

"They also left strange notes. They said, 'Beware of crop circles and run like Hell if someone mentions "probe"'."

m_a_kelly

Post by m_a_kelly » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:45 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:Classic.

"They also left strange notes. They said, 'Beware of crop circles and run like Hell if someone mentions "probe"'."
I re-read it and realized "monoliths" was not the imagery I was going for. Edited accordingly.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, shit! She's awake!"

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:06 am

Cute! I can just see a classroom of little Octopodidae waving their tentacles.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:03 pm

I can see it now... Raised under a strict regimen of anthropogenic global warming shame, a new young hero arises to lead his generation to obliterate the scourge of humanity, and give creation back to the little brothers and sisters of the sea from which they arose eons ago. Which is why these young octopi begin each day with a period of devotion to their Lord, The Great Sherman.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Insomniacagnostic

Post by Insomniacagnostic » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:53 am

Kids are so freakin squeemish is all I have to say. I didn't bat an eye when our science teacher showed us The Alien Autopsy Video in class and went into all the hypothetical organs compared to ours. And then inducted us into a UFO cult. And then was forcibly removed by police officers following a five hour standoff.

Ah youth.

Uhhh anyway good drabble!
I'm not dyslexic.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:06 am

Insomniacagnostic wrote:Kids are so freakin squeemish is all I have to say. I didn't bat an eye when our science teacher showed us The Alien Autopsy Video in class and went into all the hypothetical organs compared to ours. And then inducted us into a UFO cult. And then was forcibly removed by police officers following a five hour standoff.

Ah youth.

Wow, that reply makes me think your childhood may have been more disturbing that Strawman's grammar school experiences.

I concur, good drabble. Pandering to Norm's penchant for tentacle love. Good move.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

m_a_kelly

Post by m_a_kelly » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:33 pm

eric_marsh wrote:Cute! I can just see a classroom of little Octopodidae waving their tentacles.
Thanks. This was a fun one. :)
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, shit! She's awake!"

m_a_kelly

Post by m_a_kelly » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:39 pm

strawman wrote:I can see it now... Raised under a strict regimen of anthropogenic global warming shame, a new young hero arises to lead his generation to obliterate the scourge of humanity, and give creation back to the little brothers and sisters of the sea from which they arose eons ago. Which is why these young octopi begin each day with a period of devotion to their Lord, The Great Sherman.
:lol: I was going to have the teacher named Mr. Sherman but I liked the deep ocean sound of "finny". I like that idea, though. I can visualize a whole series of stories about the new people defending their beliefs in Sherman.

m_a_kelly

Post by m_a_kelly » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:44 pm

Insomniacagnostic wrote:Kids are so freakin squeemish is all I have to say. I didn't bat an eye when our science teacher showed us The Alien Autopsy Video in class and went into all the hypothetical organs compared to ours. And then inducted us into a UFO cult. And then was forcibly removed by police officers following a five hour standoff.

Ah youth.

Thanks. Glad you liked it. It was fun. Wow, you had an interesting science class for sure. I'm sure there's a drabble in there somewhere.

m_a_kelly

Post by m_a_kelly » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:50 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:I concur, good drabble. Pandering to Norm's penchant for tentacle love. Good move.
Pandering? Yes. Shamelessly. Glad you liked it. I'm an amphibian lover, so branching out into cephalopod admiration is not too much of a stretch.