Bsides 03 - Celestial Duck, Breaststroke to Freedom

Discuss episodes from Drabblecast’s alternative feed.
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Bsides 03 - Celestial Duck, Breaststroke to Freedom

Postby Kevin Anderson » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:56 am

B sides 3

Celestial Duck, Breaststroke to Freedom
by Orlo Yeahblip

In America at the time, stuffed full as it was with young men looking for a draft dodge and housewives listless for the next wave of feminism, people needed an escape route. There seemed nothing better than to join the flotilla of balloons, private planes and transcendental meditators who made the journey through the stratosphere...

Art by Josh Hugo
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:00 am

Forgot to mention, Tweedy made the art for us this week!
sorry :oops:
"Give us all some Jelly"

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Postby Kevin Anderson » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:03 am

normsherman wrote:Forgot to mention, Tweedy made the art for us this week!

Out of this World - Groovy
Far out Tweedy. I want that on a T-Shirt.
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:35 am

Anyone having problems getting this through the feed?
"Give us all some Jelly"

Mr. Tweedy

Postby Mr. Tweedy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:29 am

Kevin Anderson wrote:
normsherman wrote:Forgot to mention, Tweedy made the art for us this week!

Out of this World - Groovy
Far out Tweedy. I want that on a T-Shirt.

I did that in a program called Art Rage* that I got at Target for $20. Pretty decent paint simulator. I recommend.

*Finished in PhotoShop.
Advertise in this space!

strawman

Postby strawman » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:43 pm

If he follows Swedish custom, Orlo's son's name will be Yeahblipsen. Boy, will THAT be a funny name!

Still, he is forced to moonlight with the Drabblecast to put Swedish meatballs on his plate. Good thing his extensive market research correctly predicted that a story including male lactation was a surefire hook for one Norman Sherman, whalecheesemeister extraordinaire.

Watch out for the taxman, Orlo. Remember that 40.5 kr of your 45 kr earnings on this gig go to Uncle Sven.

Note to Tweedy: The hybrid Chinese take-out carton/nappy hamper is a stroke of genius. Use one, and an hour later you've got to poop again...Do DC licensing rules mean we can't bring that puppy to market?
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:23 pm

Cool art, no problems with the feed.

Re: Story- What?? Huh? I wonder if I need to go back a listen again, fully awake this time.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

potatohamster

Postby potatohamster » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:58 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Re: Story- What?? Huh? I wonder if I need to go back a listen again, fully awake this time.

I must agree. Exception being that I was FULLY awake while listening. The lactation thing caught my attention, but I still couldn't follow it.

From what I did catch, it kind of reminded me of the male that recently had a very public gestation period and birth.
Life is like that block of bleu cheese hidden in the back of the fridge: stinky and getting moldier.

Richmazzer

Postby Richmazzer » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:44 pm

It was really weird, but made sense to me at least.
The detective is trying to figure out where/what happened to Edward Stone by interviewing people. Suddenly, the drunken ramblings of a guy passed out at the bar make perfect sense to him and he is able to put the pieces together (that's the joke, no way could a story this bizarre and detailed just "come to him", but that's also what happens in Law and Order CI every week.)
The story from there is just weird and hilarious. I especially loved the section describing the people trying to eat Chinese food in space.

Poppydragon

Postby Poppydragon » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:13 pm

I loved this for all its wierdness. The idea that the grown up baby had hired him to find out who he (the baby) was, was good in itself, then the splendidly bizarre circumstances of his birth and subsequent escape from captivity just added to it. A fantastic new twist on the traditional Private Eye story. Wonderful.

cammoblammo

Postby cammoblammo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:04 am

This story made my own world a little bizarre.

I listened to it in the car with my wife yesterday. Mrs Blammo doesn't usually enjoy the Drabblecast---"It's too weird," she'll say. "Can't we listen to 'The Law Report' or 'The Science Show'?"

Yet she loved this one. The idea of a lactating male made her giggle, and she was hooked.

The moral of the story is that gender bending makes car trips legitimately weirder. I don't know what that means, but I'm happy to find out.
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

Norma Sherman

what???

Postby Norma Sherman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:22 am

I really had a hard time following... did all the answers just "come" to the detective guy? Didnt he pass out in a phone booth, intoxicated by some sort of hallucigenic drug? That would explain this whole B Sides Episode... :shock:
So this whole "story" that he reported to the now-grown "baby"- was it just to feed his appetite for the answer about his past, or did the detective dude actually figure out that this shit all went down? Did I miss something? A few things? Everything?

Have to listen to that one again...

Hi Norm!

:wink:
i <3 norm.

clutron

Postby clutron » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:28 am

I might be way off, but the way I understood it was that the detective knew most of that story, but just wanted to figure out who the dad was...It was super weird, but I just reconciled all of that with the good ol standby alternate universe theory...

I loved the part about "shipping the packages" to the astronauts, and the packages were Chinese food and not missiles.
Take off you hoser

Unblinking

Re: B Sides 3 - Celestial Duck, Breaststroke to Freedom

Postby Unblinking » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:08 pm

This was the one Bsides episode so far that I just didn't get. I mean, I think I understood basically what was going on, in that I could sketch out an outline of events, but I didn't really "get" it beyond that. It seemed to be trying to be humorous but didn't really trigger my LOL reflex. Eh, humor's subjective, I guess this one just wasn't my style.

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Re: Bsides 03 - Celestial Duck, Breaststroke to Freedom

Postby Varda » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:21 pm

So last night, I was trying to explain to my husband how DC B-Sides is even weirder than the regular feed. I wasn't getting through to him, so I just played him this episode and watched him go from mildly entertained to WTF in five minutes flat.

Incidentally, I really love this story. First heard it a few months ago while on a run, where I had a similar "did I miss something?" reaction, which meant I listened to it a couple more times before having to acknowledge that it was a Weirder Being than I, and that it was better just to kowtow and hope it doesn't eat me. Something about a vast NASA conspiracy to keep the world from realizing that space is oxygenated just kicks ass, though.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

Return to “Story Discussion - B Sides”