Bsides 17 - Exploring

Discuss episodes from Drabblecast’s alternative feed.
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Bsides 17 - Exploring

Postby StalinSays » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:44 am

Feature: Exploring by Bryce Albertson

Friday, June 1st, 2012
Recorded Live at Balticon 2012

The two began their journey again, stopping at the edge of the graveyard. “It sure looks scary in there,” the little brown-haired girl said.

What’s scary is that if you don’t get your ass moving, it’s gonna be Wednesday before I get my freak on.

“Yeah,” said Socks, tugging open the wrought iron gate. “But nothing’s gonna stop us, cause we’re brave explorers!”

Art by Bo Kaier
Read by Veronica Gigure, Hugh O'Donnel, Lauren "Scribe" Harris
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

strawman

Re: Bsides 17 - Exploring

Postby strawman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:31 pm

Now I know what it's like to be invited to visit the mansion my long-lost relative left me, and arrive to find that it is only a set of plans that has not been built yet.

:cry:
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Mr.Shadowbxre

Postby Mr.Shadowbxre » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:52 pm

As soon as I saw Boots lighting up a crack pipe I burst out laughing. Great illustration. My only problem with this one is that it's only 9 1/2 minutes long. Great for some laughs for sure.
The alien horde had finally halted. Our sonic weapons had worked. Their battle cry was no more. "Yep yep yep yep, uh huh!"
---------------------------

strawman

Postby strawman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:40 pm

Weird way to do a laugh track :?: :|
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

BryceNine

Postby BryceNine » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:31 am

Hey Stalin Says,

I wrote this piece, not Will Ludwigsen. Also, my website is https://sites.google.com/site/brycenine. Thanks!

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:11 am

Welcome aboard, Bryce. Norm fixed the attribution for you. I think Bo was unworried about proper credit because of how you were described on the cast -- I almost thought it was "meta". :wink:

This was a great story, and the author intro and group read was very nicely done. I haven't chuckled as much in months, listening to a Drabblecast. Even got a coworker interested by sharing this episode.

BryceNine

Postby BryceNine » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Glad you liked it! There's plenty more where that came from.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:05 pm

Hee hee. That was fun.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:45 pm

BryceNine wrote:Hey Stalin Says,

I wrote this piece, not Will Ludwigsen. Also, my website is https://sites.google.com/site/brycenine. Thanks!

Sorry, copy-and-pasting the lead post template, I missed that piece. I had it right on .org, so you weren't deprived of Google love.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Beth Peters

Postby Beth Peters » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:03 pm

Run bitch, run!!! :lol:

That was a lot of fun. Great story and great live readings! I love the moment after "the little brown-haired girl blinked for the third time that day" line when everyone just laughs. Not counting Choadsworth adventures, this is my favorite Bsides episode since The Elves Hate You.
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!

peteyfrogboy

Postby peteyfrogboy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who writes Dora stories. :)

Beth Peters

Postby Beth Peters » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:08 pm

peteyfrogboy wrote:I'm just glad I'm not the only one who writes Dora stories. :)

That was great! Very different take on the "Dora Universe"... with a hint of Stephen King? :wink:
In fact, not to derail this thread from Bryce's hilarious story, but a full on Dora/Dark Tower mash-up would be pretty interesting I think!
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!

themorg

Postby themorg » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:16 am

Best B side yet. Is it odd that i got a chub from hearing veronica pretend to be Dora the explorer?
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/

Rhio2k

Postby Rhio2k » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:13 pm

This was pretty funny...but (here it comes) it would have been PERFECT if you guys sat down and watched 12 minutes of Dora on Nickjr (seriously, who hasn't seen at least 5 episodes accidentally by now, childless or not?), or taken 6 or less minutes to youtube the songs so your performers would be able to sing with the correct melody rather than improve a tune on the spot (and to figure out that the map doesn't sing anything except for it's own intro song)...or were they specifically told to NOT sing the songs wrong? And "abra" ("open" in spanish) is pronounced "ah-brah", not "ah-bray"...and I don't even SPEAK spanish. I just know that it doesn't have hard vowels...like 99.9% of all languages that aren't english. Still, it WAS funny. If the readers knew of what the story was parodying, they'd have been cracking up the whole time rather than the adult-rated moments.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:45 pm

The verb is abrir and the correct tense is abre (pronounced, "Ah-bray").

But even if it *was* supposed to be "Ah bra", it's always more fun to mispronounce your Messican lingo. (Hell, half the cholos and campesinos around here do worse.)

Rhio2k

Postby Rhio2k » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:54 pm

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:The verb is abrir and the correct tense is abre (pronounced, "Ah-bray").

But even if it *was* supposed to be "Ah bra", it's always more fun to mispronounce your Messican lingo. (Hell, half the cholos and campesinos around here do worse.)

Oh good, a spanish speaker. I've been wondering for over a decade now. Buenos dias...why do people whose native language is spanish pronounce it "Bueno-dia", with no "s" sounds, and as if it's one word? Are schools mis-educating kids when they teach them to pronounce the "s" sounds in that phrase? And if so, what else are they mis-teaching about spanish?

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:28 am

Huh, most Messican speakers would say, "Buenos dias" -- that is, if they were that polite in familiar company (around here, they aren't so much). When was the last time YOU said, "Good day" to someone? :wink:

Are you hanging around a pack of Cubans? They're notorious for dropping or mangling their S-sounds. It's a dialect/accent thing. You know how New Yorkers often incorrectly drop the "Damn" in front of "Damn Yankee(s)". Or how Brits can't speak (or spell) English correctly. :P

Rhio2k

Postby Rhio2k » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:34 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:Huh, most Messican speakers would say, "Buenos dias" -- that is, if they were that polite in familiar company (around here, they aren't so much). When was the last time YOU said, "Good day" to someone? :wink:

Are you hanging around a pack of Cubans? They're notorious for dropping or mangling their S-sounds. It's a dialect/accent thing. You know how New Yorkers often incorrectly drop the "Damn" in front of "Damn Yankee(s)". Or how Brits can't speak (or spell) English correctly. :P

rofl YES, as a matter of fact. ALL my company's mechanics are cubanos, and it would seem they reside in large numbers in my part of florida. I read that first sentence and was like "Oh, crap, he knows!!" I'm gonna guess that these aren't really the guys to pick up linguistic tips from?

Unblinking

Postby Unblinking » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:40 pm

I haven't seen any episodes of Dora the Explorer, sooo for most of the episode I was just trying to figure out what the heck this was mocking. It had some funny moments, but I'd expect it'd be a lot funnier if I had any idea of the source material.

Salixj

Postby Salixj » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:56 am

Normally I don't like debasing kids shows. They are kids shows and belong to the rugrats. But this was by far the funniest, snarkiest, must amusing podcast in a long time. I was feeling low, it was a great picker-upper. BRILLIANT. Just loved it.

Return to “Story Discussion - B Sides”