BSides 23 – Picobeasts

Discuss episodes from Drabblecast’s alternative feed.
StalinSays
Beast-Master

BSides 23 – Picobeasts

Postby StalinSays » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:38 am

Feature: Picobeasts by Robert Reed

Saturday, June 1st, 2013
Most Helpful Customer Reviews

5.0 Stars

“Technological marvel, and affordable too!!!”After disappointing experiences with related products, I decided to take a chance with the new Picobeast Remote Camera, Model TA-55. What a wonder! The set-up was easy, the instructions clear and concise. I’ve been trying to get my ten year-old son interested in the natural world, and this device has been a godsend. A wooded ravine runs next to our backyard, and while I assumed we had nocturnal neighbors, it was a revelation when just one night’s surveillance yielded images of raccoons and opossums and a red fox happily going about their lives. My son was so enchanted that he insisted on making treats for our wild friends. Within the week, our bait was bringing a parade of animals, including a badger and mink, and what looks for the world to be a wolf-dog hybrid, if not a pure Canis lupus. I don’t know which of my neighbors owns the beast, much less keeps it hidden…

Episode Art: Jonathan Sims
Read by: Mike Boris, Norm Sherman, Naomi Mercer, John Cmar, Renee Chambliss, Mat Weller, Rish Outfield, Big Anklevich, Veronica Giguere, Nathan Lee, Dave Robison and Ray Sizemore
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: BSides 23 – Picobeasts

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Awesome. The Connor Choadsworth tie-in was perfect. So was the Playing Dead song snip. I have to admit that I loved this story, but I have no idea what it was about. Really, it hinted at stuff, but the plot was quite unfinished. That being said, it was an awesome story!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Beth Peters

Postby Beth Peters » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:05 pm

That was such a good time!! I loved the format, like Amazon.com reviews. It really captured that perfectly. And wow what a cast! They really nailed it. Loved the guy who was using picobeasts to see if his wife was cheating on him.

I was going to say that I wish it had developed into more of a story with a unified plot as to what the picobeasts were up to (if anything), but as I think about it now I sort of prefer it the way it is, with only hints at various unreliable narrators all pulling us towards various unreliable possibilities. Who knows if these AI microcameras have some devious time-traveling dimensional distortion scheme or emotion-casting/brain-reading capability? Of course some user reviews will reflect idiots who think so! Others will just be like, "this piece of shit came broke1n, I wan'tt my monys back!" Others will just say it does a good job taking pictures of racoons at night or something weird.

Great production, bravo!
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:07 am

Quirky, merry story. The picobeasts would be a fun way for aliens to do their pre-conquest reconnaissance. (One story even touched on inter-dimensional spying).

The narrators all seemed well-suited to their particular "review". I enjoyed this story a lot, and I'm sure my cameras are also imagining some of the things they show me. ;)

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Postby Varda » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:12 pm

Echoing everyone else, the full cast was great - a flip book of all my favorite narrators across the podosphere, all reading a single story. Sehr gut!

Also, LOL at Connor Choadsworth! We can only imagine what else he's reviewed at Amazon.com.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

El Barto

Postby El Barto » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:05 am

Loved everything about this episode. Great job all around!

Return to “Story Discussion - B Sides”