Bsides 28 – TGIF

Discuss episodes from Drabblecast’s alternative feed.
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Bsides 28 – TGIF

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:06 am

Feature: TGIF by Norm Sherman
Genres: Comedy

Wednesday, September 25th, 2013
TGIF, a covers medley by The Drabblecast’s Norm Sherman

Episode Art: Bo Kaier

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Bsides 28 – TGIF

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:19 am

With this music video, Norm proves that he is evil, after all. It's a tribute to 1990's sitcoms, people! :shock: :)

Alas, the tune kinda grows on you. It's not quite an earworm (yet), but it has an upbeat vibe with a nice blues-y aftertaste.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:07 am

I didn't know most of these theme songs. Who does, really? Surely, Norm, you had to look them up? Please tell me you had to look them up.

Wonderful to have a new song!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

strawman

Postby strawman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:36 pm

Yes, wonderful to have a new song, and nice pickin', although 90's sitcoms are a rather weird topic by DC standards. Reminder for the hearing impaired :oops: to post the lyrics on the Bbardle thread.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Postby Varda » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:12 am

Mullet count: 4 (although there were a couple of borderline cases). That's more than 1 Mullets-Per-Minute (MPM). I think that's illegal in some states.

Thrilled to have a new Bbardle kicking around. Nice and bluesy, and weirdly nostalgic, as I remember watching all these shows growing up in the 90's. Oddly, I associate Fresh Prince with Italy. O_o
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:39 am

Varda wrote:I remember watching all these shows growing up in the 90's.

I'm so sorry. Given that you seem to be functional now, I can only imagine that you'd be a Nobel laureate if your parents had managed to shield you from that menace.

Mind you, I'm still recovering from a mental strafing attack by Grape Ape episodes, so I feel your pain.

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Postby Varda » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:48 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:
Varda wrote:I remember watching all these shows growing up in the 90's.

I'm so sorry. Given that you seem to be functional now, I can only imagine that you'd be a Nobel laureate if your parents had managed to shield you from that menace.

Mind you, I'm still recovering from a mental strafing attack by Grape Ape episodes, so I feel your pain.

It's true. It's a scientific fact that every time a child is exposed to Bob Saget going aww over the Olsen Twins, that child's lifetime wage-earning potential drops by another $1,000.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:08 am

I got inspiration for this at Worldcon this year when I was at a table right next to George R.R. Martin and 5 or 6 of his fangirls late one night at a hotel bar. For whatever reason the tipsy 20-somethings all became distracted and started systematically singing the theme songs to every 90's sitcom they could remember, while George looked on in bewilderment. You could see him retreat deep into contemplation about even more convoluted bloodline complexity for his characters or intricate novelette-sized mental imagery for his banquet hall settings.

I couldn't hate on the drunk chicks though. As someone close to that demographic I remember often trying to recall the lyrics to Perfect Strangers at a bar or confusing Full House and Family Matters theme songs now and then with friends. It's a weird thing. We love our TGIF in a creepy, unexplainable way, the way gambling addicts love shoving quarters into slot machines or Nam vets love strangling their spouses while deep in REM sleep. So I went back to my room and wrote a cover of all the lyrics I could remember, like a salmon goes upstream.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Return to “Story Discussion - B Sides”