Bsides 42 – Chrysalis

Discuss episodes from Drabblecast’s alternative feed.
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Bsides 42 – Chrysalis

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:53 am

Feature: Chrysalis by Mary Robinette Kowal
Genres: Sci-Fi

Sunday, April 6th, 2014
Dear Grandma,
Your letters beat me to Husa and I’ve told the computer to dole them out at the intervals that you sent them. I got no idea why I’m telling you that, since there’s zero chance you’ll read this. Helps me focus, I guess.

Cover art photography: David Reeves and Marina del Castell
Episode Art: Bo Kaier

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Bsides 42 – Chrysalis

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:20 am

This is one of those "meddlesome chick" fics (with at least 2 offending characters) that promote the fallacy of happy endings based on "white lies".

Despite that, I enjoyed listening to it, in my drowsy state. It's only now that I think about it that the story really infuriates me.

1) There's a very real chance that the narrator has wrecked the hero's life by
Spoiler:
helping to trick him into a marriage with someone who has repeatedly telegraphed her unsuitability.

We can hope that the ending works out, but few things built on lies do.

2) The hero has supposedly made a breakthrough of epic importance. One that makes all the talk of his possible death silly, as he would be renowned for millennia if it panned out. Yet the hero's wishes are
Spoiler:
ignored and the galaxy-shattering implications of his discovery are literally buried in the trash.

Unless the hero was delusional about his work, this is totally unbelievable for any society which has humans about. If the narrator was too stupid to pounce on the opportunity and ramifications, then plenty of other people (and/or aliens) would. The hero's work was hardly secret.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Sat May 03, 2014 2:53 am

I'm torn. I like what the author was trying to accomplish, but there is a lot of discomfort I felt, which was alluded to by ASID. If the wife really loved him as much as is alluded to, she wouldn't ruin such obviously important work. Yes, they are supposed to be different levels of maturity and interest, but even a kid can recognize important work, not just discount it whole heartedly. I she really did love him, and truly did think this was the best for him, this is a dysfunctional relationship.
I suspect the author wanted to point out how dysfunctional relationships can be, universally. She succeeded in that!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

bounceswoosh

Postby bounceswoosh » Sat May 03, 2014 3:10 pm

I think the idea is that somehow the alien biology is reversed, so that the young do the heavy lifting, while the adults party. I found out infuriating, but not unbelievable, that the fiancee wanted him to transition. Also, she was concerned for his health.

Return to “Story Discussion - B Sides”