Bsides 51 - Francisca Montoya’s Almanac of Things That Can K

Discuss episodes from Drabblecast’s alternative feed.
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Bsides 51 - Francisca Montoya’s Almanac of Things That Can K

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:14 pm

Feature: Francisca Montoya’s Almanac of Things That Can Kill You by Shaenon Garrity
Genres: Fantasy

Wednesday, August 27th, 2014
If you get ill after eating or touching something that didn't make anyone else sick, you may be allergic to it. Especially if there’s a rash. Allergies are caused by your body rejecting substances it doesn't like. There is no treatment but to avoid those substances. Fortunately, only a few types of allergies can kill you. Nut allergies, for instance. Bee stings. But I imagine most people with fatal allergies to common things have died by now.

I am allergic to wool, soy, peanuts, and pollen. Only my peanut allergy can kill me.

Episode Art: Forrest Warner
First published in Lightspeed magazine, April 2014.

bounceswoosh

Re: Bsides 51 - Francisca Montoya’s Almanac of Things That C

Postby bounceswoosh » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:01 am

I read and enjoyed this when it was first published. Norm's reading was great as usual.

strawman

Postby strawman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:50 am

Agree. Although his attitude about pregnancy being stupid is pretty caustic, I suppose under the survivalist circumstances it makes more sense, which is the point. Also I missed that the narrator was a woman until I thought about the vowel ending. I was thinking "You killed my father. Prepare to die." I missed any hint of relationship characterization between the two characters, so viewed it merely as a humanitarian collaboration.

It's a pretty compelling mission, braving death on the calculation that there may be a cure and a place to get the research to. Pretty high-minded and altruistic. I'm a bit skeptical that such a mission would be undertaken by a character who is a "natural pessimist" (at times Francesca reminds me of an insurance actuary). Makes a bit more sense that Garrity works primarily on comics, where such conflicting traits seem to be the commonest method of character development.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:34 am

Pretty good! I liked it.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

pondspider

Postby pondspider » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:12 pm

strawman wrote:... Also I missed that the narrator was a woman until I thought about the vowel ending. I was thinking "You killed my father. Prepare to die." I missed any hint of relationship characterization between the two characters, so viewed it merely as a humanitarian collaboration.

For about the first half of the story I was convinced the narrator was female. After that I had switched her/him to male. Did I miss something?

I loved the story and the details about different ways a person can die, so matter-of-fact.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:32 pm

I listened to this again. Excellent use of the list format. I traditionally don't like the list format, but the author was so subtle in working in the tangents. Just like a conversation, where conversation branches are inevitable.

Also, the narrator said "Growing up in Mexico, as a boy I learned..."
Otherwise I thought the narrator was female.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Return to “Story Discussion - B Sides”