Bsides 54 – Sorry About Your Dog

Discuss episodes from Drabblecast’s alternative feed.
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Bsides 54 – Sorry About Your Dog

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:02 am

Feature: Sorry About Your Dog by David Ballard
Genres: Comedy Strange

Sunday, November 9th, 2014
See, I was comin' back from a round-up at Deacon's Bluff - I catch rattlesnakes and milk them for their venom back in my apartment - you'd be surprised how much money there is in that. Anyway, I had a young diamondback tied up in my gunnysack on the front seat of my pickup - really, it's a laundry bag with a drawstring and a catch clip - anyway, I was drivin' by McLaughlin Park on my way home, when damn if that sucker didn't just poke his head right out of the sack to look around! I lost control of the truck tryin' to get him back in, and I swerved across the playground.

Episode Art: Bo Kaier
This story first appeared in Murderous Intent Mystery Magazine, Winter 1998. It was made into the HBO award winning short Rattler in 2000.

pondspider

Re: Bsides 54 – Sorry About Your Dog

Postby pondspider » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:59 pm

Entertaining, but more could have been done with the creepy intrusiveness of the guy in the woman's home. The insurance angle was mildly amusing but a bit predictable. The increasingly out of control nature of things worked quite well... Perhaps could have been taken further, totally wrecking the house. The bit about the file on the computer was far fetched but I let it go :) Overall an OK story but I hope for better next time.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Bsides 54 – Sorry About Your Dog

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:57 am

This story seemed familiar, but maybe that's because it follows in the fine tradition of similar farces from Mark Twain onwards. The twist was telegraphed from a mile away and still delivered.

Maybe it helps that I'm a sucker -- every time -- for the cheerful, "helpful" menace (in stories).

This was a fine production that made me laugh in the face of traffic. Well done.

Return to “Story Discussion - B Sides”