About the kickstarter...

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
Spindaddy

About the kickstarter...

Post by Spindaddy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:19 pm

So how do the rewards get to where they are going? I'll admit that supporting the drabblecast was the first time I ever supported anything on kickstarter so I'm sort of lost and half afraid to ask.

Anyone have any information on where to look? I went to kickstarter itself, but maybe I'm just blind.
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.
Zombie Catfish.

lamasshu

Re: About the kickstarter...

Post by lamasshu » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:37 am

Sorry Spindaddy, no idea either: first time I've backed a kickstarter out of the UK.
I want tentacle! But I'm wondering, if I'll get hit by the UK's delightful border tax regime: if it's not marked as paid then... sad times.
So I'm looking for a yes/no on whether our UK tax is paid at Norm's end. If not I figure it's better to tentacle up the life of someone in the USA, I don't want my money back, I just don't want to be introduced to tentacle in a pall of saddening tax.

Spindaddy

Post by Spindaddy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:34 am

There was an email that went around, so now I'm just awaiting delivery.
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.
Zombie Catfish.

lamasshu

Post by lamasshu » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:34 pm

So, no reply about this after three emails to the backer kit email for the kickstarter.... I've had a go posting on the kickstarter forums, if no reply there I figure I just respond and accept that the tentacle gets lost in the UK postal system.

ZimmermansWay

Post by ZimmermansWay » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:13 pm

lamasshu wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:34 pm
So, no reply about this after three emails to the backer kit email for the kickstarter.... I've had a go posting on the kickstarter forums, if no reply there I figure I just respond and accept that the tentacle gets lost in the UK postal system.
Hey lamasshu, what's your question? I might be able to answer

lamasshu

Post by lamasshu » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:52 pm

Hello ZimmermansWay, thanks in advance.
I wanted to check how UK friendly the shipping was before putting my address in.
If the package doesn't get marked up with the correct sigils for our borders (gift or tax paid) it get's held at the depot and ransomed!
I want to check whether it can be marked up. I'm happy to up my donation to cover the customs duties, or to go without the pin and let uncle Norm keep the full pledge if it's all too complex.
That's the question.

lady lemonbalm

Post by lady lemonbalm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:03 am

Hiya lammasshu,
We have gotten this question from a few of our UK fans and we are doing a little more research and we have a call out to our Kickstarter expert.
I was hoping we would be able to declare shipments to the UK as gifts, but it seems the EU decided that crowdfunding rewards are considered merchandise and therefore charged VAT.
According to some of the reading I’ve been doing, items valued at 15 pounds and under are exempt. This would certainly include the pin. I also don’t see launguage that suggests that we CAN prepay the VAT. Am I missing something?
In the meantime, if you would care to educate me a little about VAT, I’d be a happy student!
Stay shiny,
Boo

lady lemonbalm

Post by lady lemonbalm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:11 am

Spindaddy wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:34 am
There was an email that went around, so now I'm just awaiting delivery.
Heya spindaddy, you got your address in the survey? If so, you’re golden. We will be realeasing our mind controlled squirrels in the not-too-distant future. You’ll only need to wait patiently till mid January.

If you’re curious about the process— well so far it’s a lot of boring spreadsheets and beautiful math. i am expecting a weekend of highlighting lists, label printing, and paper cuts for yours truly in early January.

Cheers!
Boo

lady lemonbalm

Post by lady lemonbalm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:55 pm

lamasshu wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:52 pm
Hello ZimmermansWay, thanks in advance.
I wanted to check how UK friendly the shipping was before putting my address in.
If the package doesn't get marked up with the correct sigils for our borders (gift or tax paid) it get's held at the depot and ransomed!
I want to check whether it can be marked up. I'm happy to up my donation to cover the customs duties, or to go without the pin and let uncle Norm keep the full pledge if it's all too complex.
That's the question.
Ah, so that is interesting. I missed this in my first read through. They actually hold the package hostage? How strange! And not delightfully so.

lamasshu

Post by lamasshu » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:25 pm

Hello Lady Lemonbalm
Thanks, that's spot on, details now entered.
Hostage is a bit strong I suppose :) But if tax isn't paid you get a note demanding tax and fees, it feels a little ransomy! Maybe a legitimate thing for them to do, but delightful no.

lady lemonbalm

Post by lady lemonbalm » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Delightful, no indeed. It feels so heavy and complicated. I’m sure it’s meant to encourage you to shop local? But so cumbersome. I sent you a dm asking a couple questions. But in the mean time, I’ll keep reading boring legal copy, and pinching myself when I start to nod.

lamasshu

Post by lamasshu » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:28 am

Thanks again. And... Nope, it's nothing to do with shop local: there's a reasonable amount of fuss over here about how our tax regime makes local businesses less competitive. It's about getting things taxed at all in the UK, but it's all a bit impolite and heavy handed in how it's administered.
Anyhow, unless someone's looking for inspiration for a Kafkaesque drabble about perverse incentives in UK tax, I'm reluctant to bore the interwebs any further!