Story suggestions?

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
F5iver

Story suggestions?

Post by F5iver » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:12 am

Okay, folks, this is where your better memories can help me...

Every morning at my school the students have Sustained Silent Reading for 20 minutes. My homeroom asked if I would read to the one day a week.
Methinks: I think I would rather have someone else do the reading, but it's a great idea.

So, I need story suggestions to play for them.
Criteria:
-Must be G-rated
-Must be no longer than 25 minutes, at the outside
-Must be awesome
-Can be suggested from DC, Dunesteef, EP, PC (obviously NOT Pseudopod).

I thought "Apologies All Around" would be a good start. Any suggestions?

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: Story suggestions?

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:21 am

Jelly Park. FTW
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:43 am

Gee, If you can get the hard copy, I'd think Circes is great and would lead to good discussion, along with Sing. The Story Teller, Tiger Fortune Princess. And most awesome possiblity B&W Animals... you could serialize it, then get them all to vote for Velasquez.
Seriously, get them collecting Mega Beast trading cards. Kids so love that stuff, you'd be made Principal by acclamation.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:27 am

Double check to make sure, but I think these might qualify as G. They're fairly advanced in terms of concepts, but if they're appropriate in content, I don't think they'd be entirely too much for kids around the age of 10-12.

The really good kid stuff I know of is way too long to meet the 25 minute deadline. I think these are inside the limit though. That said, if your kids are younger than the 10-12 age range but you don't mind doing a chapter a day, My Father's Dragon ( http://librivox.org/my-fathers-dragon-b ... s-gannett/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false ) may be a great choice. Plus, it's read by a youngin'.

http://www.variantfrequencies.com/2009/ ... -pressure/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://escapepod.org/2009/06/01/escape- ... ringement/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

F5iver

Post by F5iver » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:15 pm

strawman wrote: Seriously, get them collecting Mega Beast trading cards. Kids so love that stuff
Oh, now that's brilliant!
If I was made of time, I would SO do that! I did that with my dinosaur class and they loved it.

The kids in my hr are 13/14, but the school has kids down to age 11. I just don't want any phone calls from parents about "Did you actually read that story about the !#$%(#$(&!# to my kid?"

These suggestions are great. More, please! I want to make a CD fo the reading consultant. I will share them all I like, just not change them or sell them.