Clowns & Bunnies: Updates and Soforth.

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: Got a voice you want to cast?

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:42 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Wow. Can Norm be a client, too? :-)
Well, all he has to do is ask, of course.

He seems to have a pretty good library though.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:47 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:crap load of SFX from the Warner Bros. library
I'm imagining lots of springs spronging, old car horns, explosions, splats and classical music ya'll know and don't even realize it.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:08 pm

State of the Podcast.

Currently, ROU has a) purchased a microphone so I can do my intro/outros, b) received a wealth of great source material from the volunteer narrators.

I'm currently at work playing with and climbing the learning curve on putting audio together with audacity, as well as searching for sound effects and opensource background music.

I hope to have an episode ready to pass around for advice and critique to those in the know withing a week.

All of the guest narrators will be on the list to give it a listen.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:18 pm

ccmixter.org has some good opensource music.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:37 am

tbaker2500 wrote:ccmixter.org has some good opensource music.
sweet,just the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Also going to check out the opensource resources mentioned on Miss Hilton's delightful Cowry Catchers novelcast. >>> http://www.cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false <<<

New episode of that on my iPod ready to be a'listened to.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:37 am

Dogmazic is a great place to get music too. Just gotta be careful because the license options can be a little confusing since the site only works properly in french. http://www.dogmazic.net/index.php?op=ed ... ge=english" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:18 am

Got my drabble reading from that Norm Sherman dude. (I know, I'll let anyone read for this thing, won't I?)

It came out awesome, even by Norm Sherman standards, imo.

First episode will have drabbles read by Norm , Liz Mierzejbibblbeddeebizkey (took me a bunch of takes to get that right, and hope the final result was close) and Abigail Hilton for some nice pod-super-star punch to kick the show off right.

I'm shooting for the podcast to premiere on April 1st (2010.)

Somehow that day seems, well, just appropriate for some reason.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:30 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:Got my drabble reading from that Norm Sherman dude. (I know, I'll let anyone read for this thing, won't I?)

It came out awesome, even by Norm Sherman standards, imo.

First episode will have drabbles read by Norm , Liz Mierzejbibblbeddeebizkey (took me a bunch of takes to get that right, and hope the final result was close) and Abigail Hilton for some nice pod-super-star punch to kick the show off right.

I'm shooting for the podcast to premiere on April 1st (2010.)

Somehow that day seems, well, just appropriate for some reason.
Cool, I am looking forward to this :)
Phenopath's Story Archive

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:49 am

Phenopath wrote: Cool, I am looking forward to this :)
Me too!
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:41 am

moonowl wrote:
Phenopath wrote: Cool, I am looking forward to this :)
Me too!
Of course you would be, your ears need filling.
Phenopath's Story Archive

F5iver

Post by F5iver » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:25 pm

Other good sites for ambiance:

http://www.freesound.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

http://www.jamendo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Can't wait for 4/01/10

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:41 pm

I might not be configuring it right, but when I try to license something off there, it generally costs me about 96 USD to do so. :lol: The biggest expense is the "unlimited" which takes it from ~34 a track to 96 a track, but I'm not sure what the difference is between a 5 year license and an Unlimited. Does 5 year mean that in five years, you have to pull all your episodes that used the music, or does it mean that in five years, you won't be allowed to use the track in anything new unless you renew the contract?

In my case, for the right track, 96 USD for unlimited use on a podcast doesn't sound at all unreasonable, but I'm zany like that. This one is really great. I'm just not sure what I would use a 7 minute electricjazz track for. :oops:

Wolfshade

Post by Wolfshade » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:40 pm

dreamrock wrote:
I might not be configuring it right, but when I try to license something off there, it generally costs me about 96 USD to do so. :lol: The biggest expense is the "unlimited" which takes it from ~34 a track to 96 a track, but I'm not sure what the difference is between a 5 year license and an Unlimited. Does 5 year mean that in five years, you have to pull all your episodes that used the music, or does it mean that in five years, you won't be allowed to use the track in anything new unless you renew the contract?

In my case, for the right track, 96 USD for unlimited use on a podcast doesn't sound at all unreasonable, but I'm zany like that. This one is really great. I'm just not sure what I would use a 7 minute electricjazz track for. :oops:
You linked something in their "Pro" section, which I think is new. If you look under music/creative commons you'll find a bunch of license categories. Some of them you can play (and adapt) for your own creative commons projects. If you want to sell it, you will probably find better stuff to buy in the "Pro" section (though I haven't looked).
http://twitter.com/wolfshade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.fullcastpodcast.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:16 am

Magnatune is high quality and totally free if you never plan to sell it. If you do plan to sell it, there is a tiered fee system based on your budget for the project (unrelated to how much you will charge or make). This can be reasonable or wildly unreasonable, depending on what you need. If you use music that would be beyond your budget to license, _always_ create a way to strip it out. Save a voice-only track and keep it. You never know when an avenue might be closed to you unless you have the option to charge $.

StackTraxx are good if you can get your hands on them, although some of that music has become too familiar to podcast regulars.

Incompetech is good, no strings attached, and he occasionally comes out with new stuff.
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:35 am

Wolfshade wrote:You linked something in their "Pro" section, which I think is new. If you look under music/creative commons you'll find a bunch of license categories. Some of them you can play (and adapt) for your own creative commons projects. If you want to sell it, you will probably find better stuff to buy in the "Pro" section (though I haven't looked).
:lol: I guess since they've gone pro, they've made it more difficult to find the free bits. If you hadn't mentioned their creative commons projects specifically, I probably never would have found it.

Though "All the music on jamendo is available under one of the six Creative Commons licenses. They authorize free download and enable the artists to promote their music while protecting their rights." would seem to indicate that I'm either extra inattentive ( :oops: ) or they need to update that text on their site.
alhilton wrote:If you use music that would be beyond your budget to license, _always_ create a way to strip it out. Save a voice-only track and keep it. You never know when an avenue might be closed to you unless you have the option to charge $.
Excellent advice even in general. Don't make your final mixdown your only copy of your audio.
alhilton wrote:StackTraxx are good if you can get your hands on them, although some of that music has become too familiar to podcast regulars.
I kind of feel the same way about the good Magnatune stuff.

Plus, their interpretation of "creative commons non-commercial" worries me somewhat. You can't use their music free in a Youtube video because someone--not you, but someone--is making money off it. I prefer the Escape Pod definition (no one is charging money for the content so it's ok) because it's really hard to guarantee that no one is making money off it. Google AdSense on your site? Almost certainly a no-no if you're putting your Magnatune'd audio on your site without paying for a license..
alhilton wrote:Incompetech is good, no strings attached, and he occasionally comes out with new stuff.
Yep. Plus it has a great line of classical bits which would work great in historical romance, steampunk, or whatever else. I've had trouble finding classical music in creative commons that sounded good, and Incompetech sounds great.

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:16 am

dreamrock wrote:Plus, their interpretation of "creative commons non-commercial" worries me somewhat. You can't use their music free in a Youtube video because someone--not you, but someone--is making money off it. I prefer the Escape Pod definition (no one is charging money for the content so it's ok) because it's really hard to guarantee that no one is making money off it. Google AdSense on your site? Almost certainly a no-no if you're putting your Magnatune'd audio on your site without paying for a license..
Hmmm. I doubt that. Here's the verbage:
Non-Commercial Podcasts can use all Magnatune music at no cost with no permission required! Commercial podcasters can obtain a low-cost license online.

A podcast is non-commercial if you do not charge listeners to hear the podcast, there is no advertising, it was not created to promote a business, and you were not paid to create the podcast.
Audio add spots seem to be the intended targets here, but I agree it's ambiguous (as is their tiered license system). Taken to extremes, they could argue that if you sell a print book, your podcast was created to "promote a business," but I'd be shocked if they did that.

Hey, Dreamrock, what is your podcast? I did not realize you were a producer.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:44 am

alhilton wrote:Hmmm. I doubt that. Here's the verbage:
Non-Commercial Podcasts can use all Magnatune music at no cost with no permission required! Commercial podcasters can obtain a low-cost license online.

A podcast is non-commercial if you do not charge listeners to hear the podcast, there is no advertising, it was not created to promote a business, and you were not paid to create the podcast.
Audio add spots seem to be the intended targets here, but I agree it's ambiguous (as is their tiered license system). Taken to extremes, they could argue that if you sell a print book, your podcast was created to "promote a business," but I'd be shocked if they did that.
The confusion for me comes in when you try to license for video. Unless they've changed since the last time I've been there, they specifically disallow using their music for free on video sites such as Youtube. I admit I'm reading between the lines a bit, but I take that in the stricter and more annoying sense of "non-commercial." Might be that they're making exceptions for certain cases. I dunno. Too much thinking involved when I'm looking for simple and straight forward. :lol:

The point where it is definitely easier to just e-mail bands and ask if something is ok is the point where I give up. :oops:

alhilton wrote:Hey, Dreamrock, what is your podcast? I did not realize you were a producer.
I'm not a podcaster yet. I've done the odd episode for Dear Editor (a literary review and discussion podcast done by some friends of mine), and I have collected a ridiculous amount of recording equipment over the years largely in the hopes that it would inspire me to record some music (which I'm pretty out of practice at right now anyway).

I meant to have a podcast up by the end of January (starting the ground work in December), but a bunch of business trips popped up at the last minute and my momentum went phooey. Now it's looking more like June for serious stuff, but possibly an informal short-stories podcast starting up as soon as tomorrow since Ponderous seems to make it pretty easy.

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:54 am

dreamrock wrote:The point where it is definitely easier to just e-mail bands and ask if something is ok is the point where I give up. :oops:
I take the view that it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. I use them as I interpret their license and assume that they're not lying when they say they're not evil. At worst, I'll get a cease and desist letter and have to strip their music out. I bet I don't, though. I do my best to hold up my end by pimping their stuff. I know people have gone looking for music I played on CC.
Now it's looking more like June for serious stuff, but possibly an informal short-stories podcast starting up as soon as tomorrow since Ponderous seems to make it pretty easy.
Well, let us know when it happens. :)

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:01 am

alhilton wrote:I take the view that it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. I use them as I interpret their license and assume that they're not lying when they say they're not evil. At worst, I'll get a cease and desist letter and have to strip their music out. I bet I don't, though. I do my best to hold up my end by pimping their stuff. I know people have gone looking for music I played on CC.
Yeah. I'll definitely be doing major pimping of the music I end up playing. I love introducing people to new awesome music. :D

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:17 am

I've been skimming all this with the casual interest of someone who doesn't podcast. While skimming I remembered that I need to pick out some music for my newest instructional video I'm doing this week. I felt stupid for not connecting the two.

I will now go back and reread this thread, and TAKE NOTES.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...