Clowns & Bunnies: Updates and Soforth.

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
strawman

Re: Got a voice you want to cast?

Post by strawman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:31 pm

Man, how spooky is that myspace page?

I refer, of course, to all the flowers posted in the comments section with the "Just stopped by to say Hi" messages. That is, until you realize that they are repeats, apparently a Spam Service that Norm has subscribed to so people will think he has secret admirers.

Man, how sad is that myspace page?
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Those are a whole lot of glittery flower .GIFs. I think Adobe ImageReady has a crush on you.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:43 pm

strawman wrote:Man, how spooky is that myspace page?

I refer, of course, to all the flowers posted in the comments section with the "Just stopped by to say Hi" messages. That is, until you realize that they are repeats, apparently a Spam Service that Norm has subscribed to so people will think he has secret admirers.

Man, how sad is that myspace page?
I think Norm had a whole bunch of myspace accounts, and those are his posts, making it look like he has friends.

I agree, very sad.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:09 am

normsherman wrote:No, quite the opposite! There's tons of good content on these forums and ROU is responsible for a big chunk of it. If I was able to have Saturn-length days instead of Earth-length, I'd love to start or at least promote a DC fan-cast. This project is something at least in that genus and I'm all for it.
Given how easy posterous makes it, there's a real possibility that the community could do a fan-cast without much trouble. If folks are interested, I wouldn't mind directing some of my audio-creation attention in that direction. I just would rather it be a community thing because otherwise I'd just end up picking whatever set off the crazy neurons in my head and no one would be happy but me. :lol:

The way posterous works, you can allow various contributers, and then those contributers e-mail a certain e-mail address with the content attached, and they upload it automatically. They host like 1000 MB for free, so we'd want to use slightly lower quality files and stick to short stories. Then, we could have a standardized opener and closer that we paste onto the beginning and end of each file (and set up the tags :lol: ) and the rest would pretty much take care of itself.

I know I'm making it sound way easier than it is, but I don't anticipate anyone having the time to spare to do a Norm-Style production on every episode.

Anyway, if folks are interested, I'm totally willing to help out.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:54 am

It sounds interesting!
What is "posterous" And start back a few steps.

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:00 am

yes. start back at pre-posterous.

Spoiler:

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:47 am

It's a magical website a twitter friend (Nobilis Reed, but don't Google him on a work computer, haha) found when he was trying to find the easiest possible way to podcast really short stuff. It takes whatever you e-mail it and formats it awesomely and then posts it up. If you e-mailed it a bunch of pictures, it would make a pretty gallery with the pictures. It does that kind of thing for a lot of different media.

It integrates with a lot of different blog types, plus facebook, twitter, livejournal, and stuff I haven't heard of, but connecting to the social media stuff might be a bit more than we'd use it for. I think we could just have "the site" on posterous, but it might work better to connect it up to a blogger page or something. Their FAQ has some pretty pictures and examples.

You can also use it for mundane stuff. One day, I was at work and needed to post something up without meddling with HTML and what not, so I just sent it an e-mail with all my formatting handled by Gmail and posterous took care of it. You can see what a plain post looks like there. The only difference from my perspective was that it mentioned in the post that it was posted via e-mail using posterous.

It's basically dead simple. I kept thinking "Ok, when is this going to get hard?" and it just never did.

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:13 am

Wow. Even I can almost figure this out.

Spoiler:

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:20 pm

dreamrock wrote:
normsherman wrote:No, quite the opposite! There's tons of good content on these forums and ROU is responsible for a big chunk of it. If I was able to have Saturn-length days instead of Earth-length, I'd love to start or at least promote a DC fan-cast. This project is something at least in that genus and I'm all for it.
Given how easy posterous makes it, there's a real possibility that the community could do a fan-cast without much trouble. If folks are interested, I wouldn't mind directing some of my audio-creation attention in that direction. I just would rather it be a community thing because otherwise I'd just end up picking whatever set off the crazy neurons in my head and no one would be happy but me. :lol:

I could buy into this; if only for shits and giggles, and as a foil to relentless professionalism of Norm et al.

As a concept, how about an egalitarian podcast open to all forumites to participate (as writers or readers)? Put to side considerations of quality (or 'elitism' as the American right would have it), and concentrate on accessibility.

Ignoring technical details an algorithm for success would be:

1) XXX does ??? to setup a podcast feed
2) Start a forum thread as a match-maker for writers and readers. Anyone could submit a story to be read, the only constraint is that the story should by posted elsewhere on the forum (submission would be posting the title and a link). Then anyone who fancies reading it replies to the post and claims the story.
3) The reader records the story
4) ????
5) The recording gets posted on the feed
6) Everybody laughs
Phenopath's Story Archive

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:44 pm

Bad. Ass. I love it.

Step 1 is something I can do in a few minutes having done all of that for myself fairly recently.

There are so many benefits to step 2. The primary being that only people who are passionate about Story X will be doing the reading for that story. My only question is whether you think we should post new episodes as fast as people have an interest in recording or if we should try to limit it to 1-3 (or some other number) a week. Simplest would be to just post them as they come through. Slightly more convenient for our theoretical listeners would be to combine all of a week's episodes into one file before posting.

We'll probably need to come up with some standardized instructions for recording and compiling an episode anyway so that it's easy to do and the results are semi-consistent.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

State of the Podcast

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:46 am

Gosh this thread has gotten lively and fecund with creative ideas and brainstorming. How totally cool.

Back to the Clowns and Bunnies, I've finally made it through the worst of the Audacity learning curve and have the first three pieces turned into a project and the levels all balanced to be in the same range as each other.

Tomorrow I just need to record my Intro/Outro, & CC Blurb and play around with some options for bumper musics.

In the future I will want to play around with more Foley effects and such, but my focus for episode one is having a nice clean episode that makes my self-imposed April Fools Day deadline. I feel pretty confident that I'm going to make that date, at this point.

One other thing that I'd been kicking around in the depths of my soul-cellar was to actually take C&B in a less self-serving and narcissistic direction and open it up to other writers who would have an interest in appearing in my little show. In no way am I putting down Dreamrock's idea for a Posterous-Podcast, in fact that sounds like a real cool and innovative project too, but after getting through the head-banging phase of production, the idea of working on the production side is becoming quite interesting to me, and even though I've got a fair amount of source material I've generated myself logged, I want to make sure that there is a good supply of quality material to present. I'm no Scattercat, after all, and have become very aware that while I have very creative periods, I am also mindful of the fact that I've been in a pretty long dry-spell lately as well, writing wise.

If I go this way, I'd probably want to add a few people to the editorial decision making staff from my usual cronies. Dreamrock's point about not wanting to make something that only reflects his tastes is an issue in my own mind as well.

A couple rules I'd impose on myself in this route would be a) Make sure Norm doesn't mind (although comments he's made in this thread seem to indicate that wouldn't be a problem) b) make sure that I check on any piece I'd consider using to be certain Norm doesn't already have plans to use it himself first and c) do my damnedest to be a good reflection on the podcast that inspired this whole dalliance with interweb publication.

I think the people I have in mind as editorial aide-de-camps already know who they are, but I'll take care of those discussions after I firm up whether this is the direction I want to take the podcast in.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:15 am

Isn't it interesting how this message board has turn from a simple fan base into a truly productive creativity center?

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:38 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Isn't it interesting how this message board has turn from a simple fan base into a truly productive creativity center?
I'm exceedingly proud of this fact. If I wasn't in this for the money, I'd totally be in it for this reason. :wink:

Haha, I like ROU's "Wow, fan-cast, that's awesome guys! K, now back to dis 'ere thread foo's!"

Yah, somebody should make a separate fan-cast thread. I would do it myself, but I'm not really a "fan" per say. I actually don't care for Drabblecast too much.

And just in response to ROU's considerate consideration of my considering, as far as DC corporate is concerned at least, anything that gets posted in this awesome primordial cesspool of creativity is good to go on Clowns and Bunnies and this conceptual fan-cast-- you guys ain't gotta run nothing by Kendall or I. The best stories are the ones worth telling over and over again.
"Give us all some Jelly"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:03 am

normsherman wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote:Isn't it interesting how this message board has turn from a simple fan base into a truly productive creativity center?
I'm exceedingly proud of this fact. If I wasn't in this for the money, I'd totally be in it for this reason. :wink:

Haha, I like ROU's "Wow, fan-cast, that's awesome guys! K, now back to dis 'ere thread foo's!"

Yah, somebody should make a separate fan-cast thread. I would do it myself, but I'm not really a "fan" per say. I actually don't care for Drabblecast too much.

And just in response to ROU's considerate consideration of my considering, as far as DC corporate is concerned at least, anything that gets posted in this awesome primordial cesspool of creativity is good to go on Clowns and Bunnies and this conceptual fan-cast-- you guys ain't gotta run nothing by Kendall or I. The best stories are the ones worth telling over and over again.
Awesome, Norm. You'll always be the strange bit of slime that imparted life into this creative primordial cess-pool that is all of our home away from the realities that we must endure on a day to day basis. While you simultaneously entertain and inspire feelings of creative envy and jealousy, I have no doubt that one day your creative journey will end up getting you a nice check for your efforts. You do kind of hog the talent/good-looks/great voice department, but you will probably end up paying for that sin by having to be in a Meg Ryan movie someday.

Ok, enough back-handed ass-kissing for one post.

Posting up the promo seemed a good way to test out the feed side of things. Wonder how long before it shows up on iTunes? Guess we'll find out.

http://clownsandbunnies.podbean.com/

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:05 am

And... subscribed. NICE picture. Where'd you find that?

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:12 am

tbaker2500 wrote:And... subscribed. NICE picture. Where'd you find that?
I'm not sure you saw the default one (scenic with a bridge) or the new one theme I just changed it to.

Sweet, that would make you C&B subscriber #1, Mr.Baker. Congratulations on being the 1st of 10's if not 100's of listeners... :-)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:14 am

I meant the bridge, but your new theme is even cooler. More Drabbly.

Hey man, nice voice! Nothing to be ashamed of. You'll do fine- looking forward to the first ep!

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:26 pm

Subscribed :)
Phenopath's Story Archive

themorg

Post by themorg » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:52 am

tbaker2500 wrote:I meant the bridge, but your new theme is even cooler. More Drabbly.

Hey man, nice voice! Nothing to be ashamed of. You'll do fine- looking forward to the first ep!
agreed
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:57 am

Ugh, searching for bumper music and ambiance is a time-consuming and soul-crushing task. Norm's so lucky he can perform his own stuff.