Fill my ears

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
moonowl

Fill my ears

Post by moonowl » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:56 pm

I need some new podcasts. Norm and Escape Productions are slackers and can only squeeze one out a week. Abbie is now making some lame excuse about RSI's, yadda yadda yadda. ;)

I'm sure since it took me so long to find this mothership, I'm missing something good someplace else too. I'm too lazy to plunge the archives and stuff pod-fades anyway. Help me out, weirdos.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

Talia

Re: Fill my ears

Post by Talia » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:08 pm

Decoder Ring Theater!! Yay witty '40s-style audio dramas!

and if you're open to podcast novels, and somehow have not yet heard them, Nathan Lowell's 'Share' series, starting with quarter share, are a "must listen" over on podiobooks.com.

Similarly, any of Mur Lafferty's stuff on podiobooks is very good - I particularly liked Playing for Keeps.

And, um, tor.com has a few podcast stories up as well, only 8 or 9 so far though, its a relatively new podcast. Some of which are read by the authors themselves, which is kinda neat (Terry Bisson has a southern drawl, who knew). (go to tor.com, then click the podcasts link).

The other podcast tor runs is interesting as well; a couple weeks ago they had an interview with Steve Eley and talked some about audio fiction.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:14 pm

I wish I could point out a bunch of great ongoing podcasts. Unfortunately, a lot of them do suffer from podfade.

I agree that Decoder Ring Theater is good, though I haven't managed to get into their Red Panda series. The Black Jack Justice stories do it for me. Final Rune Productions seems to be done by a bunch of different people and has some really great stories in a radio drama adjacent style ... but it's fairly variable in the quality of the stories.

Dunesteef is a wee bit more conventional than Drabblecast, but their stuff is top notch. Something Wicked is a little odd, but the episodes I've heard are pretty good.

I've heard Gearheart is good. FETIDUS is great but currently on hiatus; James has an inconsistent posting schedule, but he always comes back and his stuff is top notch so I'm not going to consign him to the category of podfade. The Clarkesworld episodes that I've heard are really great. Mur Lafferty does a podcast (link straight to the RSS, sorry) for Tor.com which is supposed to be awesome.

Speaking of Mur, if you haven't heard The Takeover, it's right up Drabblecast alley and it's only about ten shortish episodes long.

I'll try to get actual links for you at some point tonight and go through my tactical highlighter list to see if there's anything neither you nor I had mentioned.

EDIT: LInks added. I have a bit too much stuff to wade through at the moment to add anything. Check out SFFaudio.com's links to the LibriVox Science Fiction collections though. I don't know how else to find the collections themselves and there's a lot of overlap for whatever reason. If you see a story that has more than one version and one of them is read by Gregg Margarite, listen to his version. He's a phenomenal reader and he picks great stories.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:59 am

Wow thanks for all the stuff to check out dreamrock!
I can vouch for the Clarkesworld cast. It has been good so far. I gave Final Rune a shot. Like Dunesteef, I found it fairly well produced but the stories tend to suck.
I'd say try Variant Frequencies. It doesn't have nearly the diversity of Drabblecast (all dark stuff) but the stories are consistently pretty good and the narrations passable.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:29 am

Previous post updated with links and such.
Richmazzer wrote:Wow thanks for all the stuff to check out dreamrock!
No worries. :D
Richmazzer wrote:I can vouch for the Clarkesworld cast. It has been good so far. I gave Final Rune a shot. Like Dunesteef, I found it fairly well produced but the stories tend to suck.
Final Rune does what I would consider severely conventional in a sense. Those have to be substantially amazing for me to have any interest at all. One of the first stories I heard them do was this one about a paradise of a tropical island you couldn't escape from. Really top notch production and the story, while a bit predictable, was still good enough for me to slog through a bunch of other episodes I found to be a bit lackluster.

For Dunesteef, they tend to be much lower on the production level. The stories are still subjective but I find their ratio of stories I liked vs. ones I didn't to be better than average. If you haven't heard them in awhile, you should give A Princess of Earth by Mike Resnick or His Poisoner by Sean Eads a try. I can't promise you'll like every story they do, but these are two really great stories that are worth a listen.
Richmazzer wrote:I'd say try Variant Frequencies. It doesn't have nearly the diversity of Drabblecast (all dark stuff) but the stories are consistently pretty good and the narrations passable.
What I've heard of Variant Frequencies is really good. Unfortunately, it got screwy in my podcatcher so I haven't heard any in awhile.

StarShipSofa has good stories, but I have a hard time getting past the excessive amounts of editorial they have. If you have the patience to keep score, they do tell you time info for the different segments on the more recent posts. As with any of these, I can't guarantee every episode will be great (except for FETIDUS and Drabblecast), but some of the StarShipSofa stories are worth the effort. Particularly episode 66, Ted Chiang's Exhalation. (If you've been listening to Escape Pod for awhile, you've heard Exhalation already; If I recall correctly, Steve used the audio that had been recorded for StarShipSofa)

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:16 pm

Thanks guys! Definitely some new stuff for me there!
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:16 pm

"Podcasts I Like or Don't Like," an older topic in this category (scroll down, it's mid-page) also has a litany of suggestions. It's a few pages worth but if you comb it I'm sure there is a number of strong suggestions.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:37 pm

Bo, your looking a little leathery in your profile there. I think you should use some moisturizer since you moved up north.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:22 am

I recommend Radio Drama Revival- It's the larger 'cast put on by Frank, the same guy who heads up Final Rune. But he includes many different stories from many different theatre companies. Some of them are quite good!
But I highly, highly recommend Afterlives. http://www.afterlives.net/ If you liked Dr. Who, you'll probably like this. It's darker than Dr. Who, but also much deeper.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:38 am

moonowl wrote:Bo, your looking a little leathery in your profile there. I think you should use some moisturizer since you moved up north.
The skin has taken a beating but my layer of winter fat is coming in nicely.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:43 am

StalinSays wrote:The skin has taken a beating but my layer of winter fat is coming in nicely.
Your avatar moves when I'm not watching it. :shock: Freaky.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:58 pm

I have been filling my ears with Terra Incognita, the Austrailian speculative fiction podcast. Rather good.

http://www.tisf.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:14 pm

Phenopath wrote:I have been filling my ears with Terra Incognita, the Austrailian speculative fiction podcast. Rather good.

http://www.tisf.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Crikey, I must give it a go, mate.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:59 am

dreamrock wrote:Your avatar moves when I'm not watching it. :shock: Freaky.
I wish I could tell you that I put together the animation in Adobe ImageReady from a pair of humorous seal photos, but that'd be a lie. The picture is haunted.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:27 am

StalinSays wrote:I wish I could tell you that I put together the animation in Adobe ImageReady from a pair of humorous seal photos, but that'd be a lie. The picture is haunted.
Haunted by dead seals. That's gotta be the creepiest thing all week. Please? :lol:

themorg

Post by themorg » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:02 am

x minus 1 is a bunch of old Sci-Fi from the 1950's

http://xmone.libsyn.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:57 am

themorg wrote:x minus 1 is a bunch of old Sci-Fi from the 1950's

In addition to some of the more obscure stuff, you find Asimov, Heinlein, and other gems featured here. Entertaining stuff, especially when one finds oneself in a retro-mood.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

themorg

Post by themorg » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:26 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:
themorg wrote:x minus 1 is a bunch of old Sci-Fi from the 1950's

In addition to some of the more obscure stuff, you find Asimov, Heinlein, and other gems featured here. Entertaining stuff, especially when one finds oneself in a retro-mood.
also it varies from being very traditional "lets go to mars" to the very strange "twilight zone".
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:15 am

One of the podcasts I listened to recently did a sequel to Edgar Allen Poe's Cask of Amontillado. I can't remember which one and Google and Google Reader's search are totally not helping. If you know what I'm talking about, please let me know. T_T

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:41 am

dreamrock wrote:One of the podcasts I listened to recently did a sequel to Edgar Allen Poe's Cask of Amontillado. I can't remember which one and Google and Google Reader's search are totally not helping. If you know what I'm talking about, please let me know. T_T
I totally remember listening to that too.

Sorry, that's all I got. :(

I don't remember title or anything but I feel like it was a Pseudopod episode. But maybe not.
"Give us all some Jelly"