Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
dreamrock

Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by dreamrock » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:04 pm

The DC Forumites now have their own podcast—The Dribblecast—with stories selected from amongst those posted on the forum. This thread is where the discussions are happening to make decisions about the podcast.

Subscription Links

RSS
[url=itpc://dribblecast.posterous.com/rss]iTunes[/url]

Reader/narrator Information

We'd be really stoked if you'd record one of the Drabblecast forum stories. You don't need any fancy equipment (though if you've got it, that's awesome too). If you're interested, find a story on the forum. If the author hasn't specifically added themselves to the Willing Victim section below, ask them if it's ok.

Read the story with the following format:
<Story Name> by <Author's Name> read by <Reader's Name>. <Story Content>. <DC Pitch>, <Forum Pitch>.

Example pitches: 1. The Dribblecast is made by fans of The Drabblecast, a weekly flash fiction audio magazine of strange stories written by strange authors for strange listeners such as ourselves. If you're not listening already, you should definitely check it out at drabblecast.org. And please join the Dribblecast on the Drabblecast forums.

2. The Drabblecast is a weekly flash fiction podcast. Find it at drabblecast.org. You are listening to the dribblecast which features stories by listeners of the drabblecast. Find out more and participate in both at the drabblecast forums. (Phenopath's pitch)

3. This has been the Dribblecast, a mutated, coagulating, cephalopod love child of the The Drabblecast. Here, fans of the Drabblecast get a chance to read what other Drabblecast fans have written. Visit Drabblecast.org to join in the fun ... Thank you for listening. (Swamp's pitch)

4. The Dribblecast is a sticky, squishy outgrowth of the Drabblecast. Learn more at Drabblecast.org. (Tbaker2500's pitch)

What to do with the recording once you've made it

The file should be in MP3 format and e-mailed to dribblecast@yahoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; along with a link to the original story on the forum and your forum name. Our mighty mighty Janitorial staff (currently consisting of Strawman, Swamp, ROU Killing Time, and Dreamrock) will listen to the MP3 to make sure everything came out right and then post it up.

Willing Victims

Bell
Cdugger
CLP
Dreamrock
Ejbman
flyawaybefree
Hatching Phoenix
Isfullofcrap
Kevin Anderson
LizPennies
Nevermore_66
Phenopath
Rish Outfield
ROU Killing Time
Scattercat
Swamp
TheMorg

(If you're willing to have any or even potentially all of your forum stories read and posted on the Dribblecast, please say so in the thread and I'll add your name here.)

Debate: (Not especially ongoing, but feel free to comment)
1. How do we get permission from the writers? The suggestions in play are: a) create stickies informing people to put <No Podcast> in the stories they don't want podcasted, b) let people announce here if they're willing for all their stories to be podcasted and then let interested readers pester for permission on individual stories if the writer hasn't said. In order to start moving forward, we've been working with solution B, but this isn't intended as a permanent solution. If you have an idea, please read up on the discussion in progress and let us know what you think.

Current discussion is a refinement of the previous debate topic: 1. Do we do a free-for-all where which stories will be read is determined by whoever is willing to read the stories (Phenopath's idea)? Or do we do some editorial selection (and, if so, how do we select editors)?

If you have other thoughts, concerns, ideas, please ask them and we can hammer them out together. Nothing is set in stone, nothing I've set down in this thread is sacred.

Questions I'd Be Asking If I Was Reading This

Q: Are you trying to lead this?
A: No. I'm just the guy who had some neurons fire when Norm said something in ROU's thread. And the guy who made this thread when it became obvious we were monopolizing too much of ROU's thread. I have ideas about the technical side, but that's it.

Q: What if I don't want my stories on the fan cast?
A: Even if we don't go down Pheno's egalitarian route (and I think we should, tbh), I still think we should keep the "author asks us to" part. So, in my mind, if you didn't ask the fan cast to do your story, your story isn't getting done (of course, someone might ask you if it's ok, and then you'd have to say no or pretend it didn't happen or whatever).

Q: If I get on the fan cast, will that prevent Norm from putting the story on the Drabblecast?
A: Norm said that being on any peripheral fan casts would not prevent Drabblecast from doing the story. We've seen the magic that happens when Norm does a story that some other podcast picked up.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

strawman

Re: Fan Cast

Post by strawman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:30 pm

I cannot imagine a case where a forum author would not be delighted to have a piece done by his fellow forumites, and think it would be awkward to ask the forum to cast it. These posts are all in the forum heading of public domain anyway, which is de facto permission. Does anyone else see a reason for author permission?

Now, if we want to attach author bios, I do think there should be some regulation. Otherwise, if Norma Sherman posted a drabble, we'd want to podcast it just so we could all go to town making up funny stuff to say about her in the bio. In fact, it might be fun to start a Norma Sherman bio thread on the forum. Haven't heard from her in a while. She may have switched her affection to someone more attainable, like editor Luke.

Any rate, bios are something fun to play with.
If this creative content thing takes off, I can see the world beating a path to our door. We could be in the position of Mr. Google's secretary, before he hit it big. No, I don't mean getting paid in stock instead of cash. I mean being in first position to sue his deep-pocket ass for sexual harassment.

Oh, er, sorry about that. The thought of great wealth sometimes has that corrupting effect on me. I know, we're just doing this because it's fun. We will always be pure, and poor.
*sob*
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Well, I for one, hope to make a living wage off my writing at some point, but this podcast would be "for the love" in my case.

Writers are odd folk. Our writers, doubly so. I suspect there may be a vocal few who would rather not be immortalized in fan cast audio. For my case, if you do one of mine without asking, it's not going to hurt my feelings any as I intend to put all my stories in audio form eventually so I'll just slap the presumably creative commons licensed file up where I would have recorded it myself. But I wouldn't want to step on people's toes. If the consensus is that no one is going to mind, all the better. :D

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:52 pm

My humbolt o pinions:

Put a sticky thread in twabbles, drabbles, and short stories which present the rules. State that if you are posting a story here that you do NOT want podcast, place a DCC (Drabblecast Commons) No Podcast clause at the top of your post.

I highly suggest that there be no editorial board. I see that as the quick pathway to community division and frustration. If you want to edit what stories are read, start your own podcast. You can still tap the same pool of readers and stories, but do it how you want to. I think Clowns and Bunnies is a great example of hypothetically this would work. Clowns and Bunnies promises to be a great place for ROU's stories, and others if so chooses. But the idea he sparked has quickly shown that more authors and readers want to be broadcast than either DC or CB could run. Hence this discussion about a community podcast.

I don't see much point of doing blogger for text- that kinda duplicates the function of this board.

Lastly, there should be a simple definition for how stories are read. Something like
Story Name: Author's Name: Reader's Name: Date read on: Story: DC pitch: Forum pitch.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:43 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:I don't see much point of doing blogger for text- that kinda duplicates the function of this board.
I meant for the blogger (or wordpress or whatever) to be the kind of face of the podcast, not to duplicate the story content. I'm not sure how posterous would work as a face for the podcast. Well, I guess this is how it would work, so that's not necessarily that bad. Now, I'm kind of curious now to see whether that does iTunes integration like feedburner does.

I don't use iTunes, so for all I know they're painting flowers turds when they talk about how great their integration is. :lol:

tbaker2500 wrote:Lastly, there should be a simple definition for how stories are read. Something like
Story Name: Author's Name: Reader's Name: Date read on: Story: DC pitch: Forum pitch.
Sounds good to me. We'd probably also want a standardized format (ie 128KB/s mono mp3), and decide if we want to put some sort of creative commons tag on it. I'm not sold on any of those ideas (I prefer the Pirate's Code of Honor—"Change it if you like, share it with yer friends. If you make money on it, arrrrgh, you owe me some loot, me hearties"—for my own audio work), I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.

swamp

Post by swamp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:27 pm

Would this apply to just stories listed in the DC forum or could I point people to stories on my blog for consideration of reading? Either way is fine. I just thought I'd ask the question. If only the DC forums, then I could either simply post my stories on the DC forum that I want considered, or do my own "podcasting" like ROU is doing with CB. Just wondering.

As for names for the cast, here are my suggestions:

The DrabbleFan Podcast - my best choice
The DrabbleFreinds Podcast - half serious about this one (think 70's cartoons)
The Norm Sherman Posers Podcast - get strait to the heart of it :lol:

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:08 pm

It seems that we have writers who want their work to be read, and people who want to play voice actor. Match those up however you want, IMHO.

For the name, my dad suggested DribbleCast- since, these are all kinda runoffs of the central drabblecast. An overburdened Drabblecast leaking little Dribblecasts.

swamp

Post by swamp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:42 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:For the name, my dad suggested DribbleCast- since, these are all kinda runoffs of the central drabblecast. An overburdened Drabblecast leaking little Dribblecasts.
That is pretty cool. It gets my vote.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:10 pm

Yah, boo for more editors. You don't want em, trust me. I hear that they go away with antibiotics but I'm too embarrassed to admit to the doctor that I have 'Luke and Kendalls'.

I like the egalitarian idea too. It seems to sidestep most questions of permission by its "Hey you, can I read this one/will you read this one?" innateness.

I like Tom's DCC idea. However, I wouldn't anticipate there being too many people posting story content in the forums (aka "giving up first publishing rights") that would then object to the story (aka "reprint" at this point) being done in audio as well.

DCC NO PODCAST has kind of a "You Kids Get Off My Intellectual Property!" grumpy geezer vibe to it. Plus it's more letters, and that translates directly to more work, and that contradicts and undermines the very foundations of acronym ideology, calling into question our original justifications for even shortening "Drabblecast Commons" in the first place! I mean C'MON Tom!

"Why am I here?" asked the young Acronym, the reflection of an endless sea of stars in his upturned eyes. The question drifted from his lips, a warm vaporous mist against the chilly midnight air, and hung in the stillness like a delicate ghost.
"IDK," the question replied, as it melted away into Stygian darkness.

Seems to make more sense for authors to use the DCC as a quick way of saying "just lettin ya'll know this'n here's good to go."
Some, or many, would probably forget to do this or simply overlook it. And then ya just ask 'em, cuz they'll surely be flattered and excited. And that trumps being oblivious at least.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:25 pm

I do not think that everything in the forum should be considered 'fair game', since posters may have other motivation for posting here (i.e to get feedback). It has to be an opt-in model. Therefore having a lightweight thread in which posters indicate that they would like participate in the fan cast.

In the egalitarian model there could be a minimal editorial filter between the reader and the feed; if only to prevent Strawman's Lady Gaga impersonation from being broadcast.
Phenopath's Story Archive

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:59 pm

Hey, there! Watch that.

How about doing a periodic poll with nominated pieces, thus giving shy authors an opportunity to quietly decline, and the rest to be done in order of popularity? A moderator would take nominations and post the poll.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:03 am

I'm not really sold on the nomination idea, it's pretty similar to having editors. My point is, the Drabblecast has risen above being able to run many of the stories posted here. That's not a bad thing! But what I kinda feel people pushing for here, is a chance for their story to be run in a podcast. If we only vote the top stories to be read, we've created an expectation of quality, which means only the better voice actors and stories, then scoring and SFX, pretty soon we have drabblecast Mini.

My personal preference (which is worth the paper it's written on) is to just let people have fun, write and read stories.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:06 am

Phenopath wrote:I do not think that everything in the forum should be considered 'fair game', since posters may have other motivation for posting here (i.e to get feedback). It has to be an opt-in model. Therefore having a lightweight thread in which posters indicate that they would like participate in the fan cast.

In the egalitarian model there could be a minimal editorial filter between the reader and the feed; if only to prevent Strawman's Lady Gaga impersonation from being broadcast.
Could we combine this with my earlier post, with a podcast=true flag for stories people are happy to have podcast? Then if somebody didn't have that line, a simple post asking "Hey, I'd like to read this- can I? will take care of stragglers?

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:31 am

normsherman wrote:Yah, boo for more editors. You don't want em, trust me. I hear that they go away with antibiotics but I'm too embarrassed to admit to the doctor that I have 'Luke and Kendalls'.
Probably not a bad idea to have someone with plug-pulling power though, a DCC Czar if you will, just in case someone posts up something that might be considered universally objectionable, a pirated compilation of "The Tellytubbies Greatest Hits" for instance, or "Ginger Lynn: Immortal 1-liners..."

Having the system too open, if I understand the ease that Dreamrock describes this posterous processerous could be a breeding ground for some considerable mischief.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:46 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:Having the system too open, if I understand the ease that Dreamrock describes this posterous processerous could be a breeding ground for some considerable mischief.
It's easy, but it's not something where someone else can post in your feed without your permission.

So, to the extent that we're not going to add every e-mail address of every forumite automatically to the permissions (I think there's a max of 5 or 10 contributers anyway?), we'll still have a "gate." I just generally agree that if it's not something objectionable for severe content reasons, that having a writer and a reader both like the story enough to put it up is something I personally wouldn't mind.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:18 am

dreamrock wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:Having the system too open, if I understand the ease that Dreamrock describes this posterous processerous could be a breeding ground for some considerable mischief.
It's easy, but it's not something where someone else can post in your feed without your permission.

So, to the extent that we're not going to add every e-mail address of every forumite automatically to the permissions (I think there's a max of 5 or 10 contributers anyway?), we'll still have a "gate." I just generally agree that if it's not something objectionable for severe content reasons, that having a writer and a reader both like the story enough to put it up is something I personally wouldn't mind.

Could try things like BoingBoing rating systems and Itunes 5-stars-- certainly peer reviewing would help exceptional content get noticed and perhaps picked up more often, once the forest gets a little denser round here. But my 2 cents would be to keep regulation at a minimum and make inclusiveness an objective. Play out the whole audience as contributor Net 2.0 thing, see where it goes. I'm personally very interested in the model because it explores something outside the supply/demand universe-- we're exploring if norms and values exist in the DC community, and if so, will they govern and shape our cultural content. Speculative fiction for the people by the people.

Folks seem mostly conscientious of what entertains round here, and are generally in tune with our forum culture. That works in our favor. I think this idea is unique, exciting and innovative in that it's a "bottom up" project (experiment, even?) I'd like to see that aspect preserved. But I won't meddle or hissy if not. Devise your own drabbly plans, draft your Bbarticles of Confederation, worship your blasphemous squid-headed gods. Bottom-up. Or "Kendall's Dad" management, as they refer to it in professional business circles.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:03 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
Phenopath wrote:I do not think that everything in the forum should be considered 'fair game', since posters may have other motivation for posting here (i.e to get feedback). It has to be an opt-in model. Therefore having a lightweight thread in which posters indicate that they would like participate in the fan cast.

Could we combine this with my earlier post, with a podcast=true flag for stories people are happy to have podcast? Then if somebody didn't have that line, a simple post asking "Hey, I'd like to read this- can I? will take care of stragglers?
Yup, that could would work too. Although a dedicated thread would prove a focal point. Whatever the solution should in the first instance be lightweight.
Phenopath's Story Archive

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:22 am

So Norm, are you starting to feel a bit like The Sorcerer's Apprentice?

Or maybe Dreamrock and I are playing the role of the SA here.

How do you stop these brooms if they get out of control, that's my only question.

:)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:34 pm

I looked through the posterous website, and it looked pretty slick dreamroque. I couldn't figure out who is allowed to email in- would it have to be a group account, with each email address added who wanted to post?

If so, that acts like a gatekeeper unto itself. Have dreamrock or strawman or somebody be the Official Adder of Email Addresses. If you want to post for the first time, PM the OAEA to get access.

Beyond that point, I don't see that posts really need to be previewed, any more than text posts here are previewed. If somebody steps out of line, strawman brings the hammer down and removes the offending post.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:44 pm

tbaker2500 wrote: Beyond that point, I don't see that posts really need to be previewed, any more than text posts here are previewed. If somebody steps out of line, strawman brings the hammer down and removes the offending post.
Well, that won't do anything to prevent Strawman's Lady Gaga impersonation, but it does handle the Tellytubbies Greatest Hits scenarios quite nicely... ;-)