Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by dreamrock » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:20 am

I've got three received and scheduled so far. Phenomenal reads from Rish and Morg. :D

Knife ... Thursday
Jacked ... Friday
Worrywort ... Saturday

Woot, more Swamp readings and of Poe too. Can't wait to check that out. :o
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
Phenopath
Member
Posts: 1059
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by Phenopath » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:28 pm

I just pinged up 13MB file of Vacation on Praxis. If it falls down somewhere I will have to re-encode at a lower bit rate....
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3613
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:58 am

Rish, are you trying to raise the standards around here? Geesh.

:-)

Great read, was damn funny.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
Rish Outfield
Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:30 am

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by Rish Outfield » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:58 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Rish, are you trying to raise the standards around here? Geesh.
Are you kidding? I've heard dribblecasts done with sound effects, multiple voices, musical score, and one of them even made your teeth whiter as you listened to it. I'm the one who needs to step up my game here.

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3613
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:25 am

Dribbled
Why I Shouldn't Be Allowed to Have Children by Munsi.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

cdugger
Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by cdugger » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:22 am

Dribbled

Knife (didn't know Rish already had)
Siren
Peaceful Moments

And they are already sent.

I did Worrywart, but haven't sent it yet.
Artist's blog: http://cbdugger.livejournal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian podcast: http://therighteousdude.podomatic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
themorg
Member
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:52 am
Location: Portland OR

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by themorg » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:36 am

cdugger wrote:Dribbled

Knife (didn't know Rish already had)
Siren
Peaceful Moments

And they are already sent.

I did Worrywart, but haven't sent it yet.
not having any luck but i know that is going to change.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

User avatar
ejbman
Member
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 4:48 am
Location: Centennial, CO

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by ejbman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:44 am

Rish Outfield wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote:Rish, are you trying to raise the standards around here? Geesh.
Are you kidding? I've heard dribblecasts done with sound effects, multiple voices, musical score, and one of them even made your teeth whiter as you listened to it. I'm the one who needs to step up my game here.
Loved the outro Rish! Why, I could almost hear the wind whistling through the mantle. :)
The Dribblecast: Beepin' Good.

cdugger
Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by cdugger » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:35 am

First: Rish's take on Knife was great! I'm almost afraid to have mine posted. Ah, well, that's life.

Second: I noticed that there is music from YouTube in one of the Dribbles. Is that fine for us?
Artist's blog: http://cbdugger.livejournal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian podcast: http://therighteousdude.podomatic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by dreamrock » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:39 am

There are, shall we say, a number of episodes to be scheduled. After spending most of today doing sound production, I'm kind of exhausted so I'll start scheduling them tomorrow. Of course, if I get a second wind, I might get to a few today. No promises.

What's the smiley for low mana? :lol:
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3613
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:51 am

cdugger wrote:Second: I noticed that there is music from YouTube in one of the Dribbles. Is that fine for us?
The correct thing to do is use music which is either public domain or has granted free use for podcasts. Earlier in this thread there are discussions about good sources for said items.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
themorg
Member
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:52 am
Location: Portland OR

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by themorg » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:10 am

tbaker2500 wrote:The correct thing to do is use music which is either public domain or has granted free use for podcasts.
or make it yourself which can be a lot of fun.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

User avatar
swamp
Member
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:17 pm

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by swamp » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:24 am

I am the worst offender. I am giving attribution, but I should be using podsafe music, or getting permission from the artist.

User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by dreamrock » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:56 am

Incomplete list of audio sources:

http://magnatune.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -Not youtube friendly. Their interpretation of "commercial" is a bit overboard. But that should be fine for Dribblecast matieral. A looot of people get their podsafe music here.
http://incompetech.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -Music made by one guy. Great source for classical music, but you've heard most of his stuff used in every youtube video not abusing copyright for background audio and probably 25% of all podcasts.
http://www.dogmazic.net/index.php?op=ed ... ge=english" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - This site is hard to work with and takes a bit of finagling to make sure you're looking at songs with compatible licenses, but there are tons of great songs on here and I use dogmazic more than any other source for music.
http://www.jamendo.com/en/creativecommons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Not everything on Jamendo is available. Check the license. They do have some really good stuff though. The first track of this album for instance. :lol:

Sound effect resources:
http://www.freesound.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -Attribution with link to original sound's page
http://www.pdsounds.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -Completely public domain
http://www.pacdv.com/sounds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -Completely public domain
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
themorg
Member
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:52 am
Location: Portland OR

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by themorg » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:11 am

dreamrock wrote:I've got three received and scheduled so far. Phenomenal reads from Rish and Morg. :D
thanks and i gotta agree that Rish did a great read.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

User avatar
themorg
Member
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:52 am
Location: Portland OR

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by themorg » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:12 am

dreamrock wrote:Incomplete list of audio sources:

http://magnatune.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -Not youtube friendly. Their interpretation of "commercial" is a bit overboard. But that should be fine for Dribblecast matieral. A looot of people get their podsafe music here.
http://incompetech.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -Music made by one guy. Great source for classical music, but you've heard most of his stuff used in every youtube video not abusing copyright for background audio and probably 25% of all podcasts.
http://www.dogmazic.net/index.php?op=ed ... ge=english" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - This site is hard to work with and takes a bit of finagling to make sure you're looking at songs with compatible licenses, but there are tons of great songs on here and I use dogmazic more than any other source for music.
http://www.jamendo.com/en/creativecommons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Not everything on Jamendo is available. Check the license. They do have some really good stuff though. The first track of this album for instance. :lol:

Sound effect resources:
http://www.freesound.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -Attribution with link to original sound's page
http://www.pdsounds.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -Completely public domain
http://www.pacdv.com/sounds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -Completely public domain
Thanks for the link dump
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

cdugger
Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by cdugger » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:07 pm

These guys have some good quality sounds, and some not so good.

http://www.a1freesoundeffects.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is some good CC music, but it tends to lean toward house/trance more than anything.

http://cantonbecker.com/sound/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My personal favorite source of free music. He's given me permission to use all or part of any song I wish (but contact him personally for your stuff). Just wants links and credit. Music is pretty good, and is quite varied. The singing isn't all that great, though. Luckily, he only has a few songs with vocals. I'm using some of his stuff in my ongoing project for the Dunesteef.

http://www.danosongs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Artist's blog: http://cbdugger.livejournal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian podcast: http://therighteousdude.podomatic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
ejbman
Member
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 4:48 am
Location: Centennial, CO

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by ejbman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:25 pm

cdugger wrote:These guys have some good quality sounds, and some not so good.

http://www.a1freesoundeffects.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is some good CC music, but it tends to lean toward house/trance more than anything.

http://cantonbecker.com/sound/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My personal favorite source of free music. He's given me permission to use all or part of any song I wish (but contact him personally for your stuff). Just wants links and credit. Music is pretty good, and is quite varied. The singing isn't all that great, though. Luckily, he only has a few songs with vocals. I'm using some of his stuff in my ongoing project for the Dunesteef.

http://www.danosongs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks to you and dreamrock for the links.

Whatcha doin' for the Dunesteef? (Forgive me if that would be obvious from listening to current episodes - I'm the kind of compulsive that needs to listen to a podcast sequentially from the beginning and I'm only up to December 2009).
The Dribblecast: Beepin' Good.

User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by dreamrock » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:50 pm

Oh, that reminds me. Sometimes I make my own music using PaulStretch. If you've heard extremely slowed down ethereal Justin Bieber (trust me, if you like spacey and creepy, Bieber is totally tolerable this way and the lyrics are slowed down so much they can't be understood), PaulStretch or a program like it was used to produce the music.

It's almost certain doing that with commercial music and then using that for podcasts is not legal. Instead, I take random recordings I've made (or stuff from one of the public domain places I use), use Audacity's Truncate Silence (set minimum silence length ridiculously low and the ratio to 6:1 or higher), and then use PaulStretch at 8x or higher. If it's a long track, I usually only give Paul the first minute or so because it takes forever and can easily turn a 3 minute song into a 3 hour song.

If I recall correctly, I used audio stretched that way as the background for one of the "scenes" in Early Riser.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
ejbman
Member
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 4:48 am
Location: Centennial, CO

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by ejbman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:21 pm

dreamrock wrote:Oh, that reminds me. Sometimes I make my own music using PaulStretch. If you've heard extremely slowed down ethereal Justin Bieber (trust me, if you like spacey and creepy, Bieber is totally tolerable this way and the lyrics are slowed down so much they can't be understood), PaulStretch or a program like it was used to produce the music.

It's almost certain doing that with commercial music and then using that for podcasts is not legal. Instead, I take random recordings I've made (or stuff from one of the public domain places I use), use Audacity's Truncate Silence (set minimum silence length ridiculously low and the ratio to 6:1 or higher), and then use PaulStretch at 8x or higher. If it's a long track, I usually only give Paul the first minute or so because it takes forever and can easily turn a 3 minute song into a 3 hour song.

If I recall correctly, I used audio stretched that way as the background for one of the "scenes" in Early Riser.
Nice! I'm going to have to try this with "California Girls" and "Poker Face".
The Dribblecast: Beepin' Good.

Post Reply