Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by StalinSays » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Thanks all! You all do such fine work on the podcast, I figure a cover / logo would give it that official spiffy feel it deserves.

As for its use on the dribblecast site - a little big to my mind. Web layout law: never push your main content 'below the fold.' I'll put together a horizontally oriented banner version of the logo so you can have it in that space without it being nearly so tall.

Hey, don't know who has their finger on this particular button, but I assume I can find him/her here. Have some suggested changes that would help with visibility.

When you search the drabblecast on itunes, this is the result (screen grab : http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i272/ ... search.jpg). The dribblecast is right up there, but it has no cover, and no author, lacks that official feel. The cover exists now. I figure 'the Drabblecast community' would do for an author. And genre should probably be switched from arts to literature, like it is with drabblecast B-sides (which ranks really highly in that category).
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:16 pm

I don't have any access either, but I did a little searching. It appears that posterous doesn't support editing the RSS feed tags? So we might push it through feedburner instead? (Which I also have no experience with, but I'm told it allows for feed editing.)
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

swamp

Post by swamp » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Hey Tom, I PMed you the access username and password for the Dribblecast accounts.

swamp

Post by swamp » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:50 pm

I updated the Dribblecast site with the new banner Bo created. We're actually looking official.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:55 pm

Looks amazing!

I'm fiddling around with some options to get a better itunes feed. I'll post when I know more.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:11 pm

Very cool indeed. What other podcast can boast a fan driven spin-off?
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:52 am

Ok people, another time for some community decision making. I've found that posterous doesn't really have any support for iTunes-specific data. That means no feed pictures, no category listings, no author, etc.

I've been fiddling around in Wordpress, and found it quite satisfactory. I'd be happy to set a site up for the Dribblecast, with all the fixins. I can set up accounts for the janitors to do the exact same posting job they do now. The main advantages is it would have full iTunes support, including feed images for the beautiful artwork Bo has done.

I DO NOT want to step on anybodies' toes. Posterous is work fine, and it's no skin off my back to leave things as they are. But I wanted to offer this, if people felt it could help.

I know Dreamrock was the major instigator in getting the posterous site set up. I hope he realizes that this is not some sort of "power grab", just an honest offer.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:57 am

Hostile takeover! I now own 52% of the Dribblecast mind-share! Nice try Tom!

Got more art to lend, hopefully not too distant future, let the spiffing process continue.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

swamp

Post by swamp » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:10 pm

I don't think Dreamrock would mind. I think he implemented the quickest, easiest solution at the time and it has served well. While we certainly don't have to change sites, Word Press might be better so that the site loadup time isn't so long. I didn't realize Word Press had a free option, but I've never looked into it. Go for it. We can leave a forwarding address at the Posterous site.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:36 am

Well, I was offering to host it on my servers for free.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:48 am

Hey Angels! (sorry, couldn't resist)

I've never really thought of the dribblecast as mine per se. I'm always cool with whatever the community wants to do.

Totally agree with Tom that we should move beyond posterous. Whatever we do, I as a (delinquent) dribblecast contributer think we should keep it as easy to update as possible.

I also think I've thought a way for us to make an easy nomination process. This is not a "don't have two people record the same story" idea. It's just for nominations. And it might work for something else, but hush hush on that.

-----

Now for my major apology/explanation for my disappearance. :(

I'm physically fine. No hospital visits, etc.

I've just been dealing with depression in a pretty big way over the past few months. I've always been pretty open about my depression so I doubt that'll be a big surprise to anyone. However, I'm also discovering that anxiety is a big problem for me. For the longest time, I thought it was normal to feel anxious all the time so I didn't realize how bad I was.

Sometimes it's a quiet ache that eats at me. By way of example, it uses up a lot of my emotional energy just knowing I need to get in my car tomorrow and drive out of the neighborhood.

Other times, like last night when I lost one of my earrings, it'll be sharp and hard and it'll take hours to calm down.

I did get a new job about 3 weeks ago so a major factor in the deepness of the depression is over and anxiety triggered by money concerns will be substantially dulled. However, I don't have health insurance with the new job. Might get it in 90 days if the job works out, but, in the mean time, I can't afford to get treatment.

Sorry for being so scarce. :(

Thank you so much to all of the folks who have been reaching out to me via Facebook and Twitter. It means a lot to me to know I've been missed. I'll try to do a better job of being around.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:11 am

Hey JEIM!
Yea, anxiety is a huge kicker that sneaks up on you with depression.
I'm made it no secret that I've deal with depression and for 15 years, and serious anxiety for the last 5. Things are much better now, but it's still damn hard to drive to work some days. The fight or flight feeling the whole way. Can't eat, etc. Things get too far out of whack, and then you're in a panic attack. Not a fun place to be, that's for sure.

Whilst I seriously doubt things I've learned would be applicable to other people, I'd be happy to share some of the things which have helped me. Email me tbaker at gardenstreet dot org

in the meantime, let me get a wordpress page configured to have people look at and see if they're happy with. I'm already halfway there. Wordpress is very expandable, and I can set up anybody who wants to help as an admin to advance things.

If people like it, we can push the feed over there.

swamp

Post by swamp » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:14 am

Dreamrock-- So glad to see you here, dude! You have been missed.

Tom-- Can't wait to see it!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:25 am

Hey dude. Hang in there, bud. Dats wot everyone keeps telling me.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:31 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:Hey dude. Hang in there, bud. Dats wot everyone keeps telling me.
:lol: I do ... it's just some days that means I don't do anything but work, watch movies, and worry about the stuff I don't have energy for. :oops:

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:38 pm

Ok, here's a preliminary site to look at:
http://www.gardenstreet.org/dribblecast

I'm in the process of moving the posts over there. WOW there are a lot of posts.

I've started numbering the episodes.

The site is a blank slate right now. Any and ALL suggestions, shoot them at me and we'll see if it can be made to happen.

With regards to gatekeeping. I'm thinking we use the same janitorial service we have now, who have logins to do the posting. Plus, frequent contributors could get poster-level logins to publish directly, saving the email step. Something like that?

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:04 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:With regards to gatekeeping. I'm thinking we use the same janitorial service we have now, who have logins to do the posting. Plus, frequent contributors could get poster-level logins to publish directly, saving the email step. Something like that?
That sounds great. That was the original plan ... people who contributed a lot/well were supposed to get posting privileges. We just never got around to setting it up.

P.S. If there's something you need from me to get the Twitter working, let me know. I think I'm the only one with the password to that unless someone reset it in my absence (which would be cool and appropriate if it did happen).

bell

Post by bell » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:01 am

Love the logo, love the new site!

Is most of the old content going to migrate to the new site, eventually? That would be so cool!
http://www.apoGrypha.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What would have been written.
Spoiler:
If they hadn't died first.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:30 am

working on in. You know there were 98! stories posted over there?

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:18 am

More episodes moved over. About halfway there.

Are there any features that people want?

Bo, are you interested in making it pretty? The background is eh.. Either with this theme or use others. The login I sent you will work.