Why you should come to Balticon

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
normsherman
Site Admin

Why you should come to Balticon

Post by normsherman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:56 am

So I think this will be a total blast.
Get to do some readings and a performance Saturday, but check out these kickass panels-- I actually got to write and design these biznatches myself! You can probably tell, hehe. These are the official deals for the program book--
You know you wanna come!

Online Speculative Fiction Markets

New Media, New Markets, New Business Models

A Review of notable genre ezines, the forms they are taking and the business models they are adopting. There was a time when the word "Google" was not ubiquitous. When bored, mopey teenagers didn't have Myspace, and huffy, choleric left and right wingers didn't have blogs. When people would have responded to the utterance of "Youtube," with an angry "What'd you just call me buddy?!" It was in these prehistoric times that young speculative fiction ezines began, with their stumpy leg-like fin-structures, to emerge from fetid, shallow waters and up onto the promising shores of the internet.
After what seems like epochs later, the year is 2010, and most speculative fiction pulp magazines have died out. According to Locus Magazine (“The Magazine Of The Science Fiction & Fantasy Field”), two of the three remaining speculative fiction pulp magazines have circulations lower than 20,000. Analog, which specializes in “hard science fiction,” isn’t doing much better, with a circulation of just over 23,000. Like the readers of most newspapers, fans of the genre are flocking to the net.
There has been an enormous boom of new markets online, many of which pay professional rates to authors and have already established large and dedicated audiences. Even the form of the zine is changing-- with the success of portable audio devices like the ipod, audiofiction is becoming a new favorite of scifi/fantasy/horror fans on the go. But despite all this activity, there seems to be a noticeable lack of profitability. None of these online publications even remotely compare in magnitude to the big print ancestors of the last age. How has the genre ezine structure and business model changed? Are these models and structures working?

Speakers:
Sherman, Norm
Duncan, Allison
Harknell
Reed, Nobilis
Kimball, Eric (Drowemos)

How to Write a Kickass Song About Anything!

Bring your instrument if you have one! If not, "instruments" will be provided. Ever wanted to write a song but thought you didn't have enough musical talent? Well, you probably don't! God, you're probably all kinds of awful! But hey, that's ok! In fact, it may even help. You see, you don't have to be musically talented to write a kickass song. Are you a decent speller? Can you hum? Are you capable of abstract thought while maintaining a functional metabolism and healthy resting heart rate? Then you're good to go! Join professional singer/songwriter Norm Sherman for a fun, insightful workshop on the art of writing entertaining songs. Come with an idea-- leave with a catchy, totally kickass song!

Speakers:
Sherman, Norm
Durham, James
Kim the Comic Book Goddess (B44)

Cryptozoology 101

Survey of Creatures that Probably Don't Exist

From the Goatman to the Mothman, Yeti to Yowie, and Dodo to Ogopogo. From Bloops to Blobs, Giant Owls to Lizard men, Chupacabres to Mongolian Deathworms. From the foul smelling Skunk Ape of the Florida Everglades, to the brain eating Nandi Bears of Kenya, this course is a basic introduction into the study of absurd animals which purportedly exist based on the sightings and information gathered by stammering lunatics, drunken peasants and other researchers in the field.

Speakers:
Sherman, Norm (as Connor Choadsworth)
Bailey, Marc "Grailwolf"
MAinPA
Flynn, Billy

Lovecraft Mythos Cagefight

Who Would Win in a Fight?

Cthulhu vs. Dagon? Yog-Sothoth vs. Shub-Niggurath? Would the match be a TKO or won on points?

Speakers:
Sherman, Norm
Fischer, Paul
Van Verth, Jim
Gideon, Thomas "cmdln"
Gamblin, Brand

Art, Music, and Literature in an Age of Technological Reproducibility

A discussion of the benefits and dangers surrounding cultural production on a globalized, digital platform. Technology has a long history of shaping our cultural arts. Around 1900, technological reproduction had reached a standard that permitted it to tangibly reproduce all known works of art, profoundly modifying their role and effect in the artistic process. Laws were made to strike a balance between an individual artist's incentive to create, and the virtues of a public domain, where others can experiment and improve upon previous ideas. In today's "Digital Age"-- an era defined by the ability to make copies and share information at the speed of light-- art, music and literature that participate in the online ecosystem are being perceived differently, taking on a new aura. Ironically, the artistic material that is produced and shared online; that which forsakes the Barnes and Nobles and Virgin records shelves to exist only in non-tangible form, is now deemed "Content," rather than art. But "content" implies that it is a thing-- that it can be contained, bought and sold. What consequences might this re-branding of art and creative work hold for future generations? What is the fate of our cultural creative commons?

Speakers:
Sherman, Norm
Tayler, Howard
Rossi, Phil
Gideon, Thomas "cmdln"
Slusher, Dave
Tabor, Dan
"Give us all some Jelly"

strawman

Re: Why you should come to Balticon

Post by strawman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:12 pm

How do I get a Norm Sherman U Athletic Department sweatshirt ?
Go, Squid!
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:07 pm

ZOMG Cryptozoology 101. How far is Balticon from Cape Cod?
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:30 pm

But...when?
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:54 pm

LOL! You're doing Cryptozoology as Conner Choadsworth! That's too awesome.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:33 pm

Please tell us there will be a video podcast of this on B-sides.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:44 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:LOL! You're doing Cryptozoology as Conner Choadsworth! That's too awesome.
He can use the knitted MDW as a prop!
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:50 pm

moonowl wrote:But...when?
Looks like May 28-31. I was seriously disappointed I couldn't go last year thanks to business travel. I'm going to make a concerted effort to attend this year even if it means flying on my own dime. I'm in 'easy' driving distance, but a theoretical five and a half hour drive which includes driving through Washington, DC doesn't sound like any sort of fun. Though on the pro-driving side, my last air flight to Baltimore was about four times as expensive as the gas would be for driving (and that's not counting parking at the airport either). Not sure if you still get excellent discounts for ordering your tickets well in advance so that might be a factor. If I do decide to fly in, I have enough time to figure out Baltimore's public transportation before I get there and order any tickets I need in advance so I'm not stuck taking a cab...

Anyway, enough of that ramble. Balticon's website is here.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:47 pm

dreamrock wrote: If I do decide to fly in, I have enough time to figure out Baltimore's public transportation before I get there and order any tickets I need in advance so I'm not stuck taking a cab...[/size]

Anyway, enough of that ramble. Balticon's website is here.
Seems like you can get to the hotel via light rail or a shuttle. I don't drive really, and usually I can get around Baltimore OK.

Did you look at southwest? I fly from Philly to RDU quite a bit. I have folks that live in Maiden, NC but going into Charlotte is always crazy expensive and usually worth just to drive from RDU.

I could train on down from Philly, but I don't think I'd stay all weekend. I've actually never been to a Con before.
I also don't want to be there with no one to pal about with, I'm sure my hubby won't go to this type of nerdfest. Too bad the Orioles are away that weekend. That would have been double incentive for me. However, I know the paleontologist, Dr. Tom Holtz who seems to be coming there.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:07 pm

moonowl wrote:Seems like you can get to the hotel via light rail or a shuttle. I don't drive really, and usually I can get around Baltimore OK.
Yep, that's definitely an option. Unfortunately, when I looked last year in the June/July timeframe, their information was spotty for pubtrans nubs like me and it generally took 2-3 weeks to have passes mailed to you so since I was going on short notice, it didn't work out well for me.
moonowl wrote:Did you look at southwest? I fly from Philly to RDU quite a bit. I have folks that live in Maiden, NC but going into Charlotte is always crazy expensive and usually worth just to drive from RDU.
I flew SWA last time I went to Baltimore and after the fees and whatnot, the round trip was just about 300 USD. I'm not flying SWA anymore after their Kevin "Too Fat To Fly" Smith incident, so it'll probably be Jet Blue if I go by air. Hopefully ordering the tickets nearly two months in advance will make them extra cheap. I may also check out Amtrak and Greyhound. I have enough vacation time accrued to make those feasible options if they're cheaper than flying.
moonowl wrote:I could train on down from Philly, but I don't think I'd stay all weekend. I've actually never been to a Con before.
Last year's Otakon was the first con I'd ever been to. It's an anime con (I'm ok with anime, but not a huge enough fan to think about going to a con for it) and if it hadn't been for the huge crew of internet folks I knew would be there, it would have been the most depressing thing ever. As it was, I still found it kind of depressing, but I got to meet folks so that was awesome.

For Balticon, I know even if I don't have people to pal around with, I'm going to get to hear some of the best panels ever and see some of my favorite podcast personalities, and that sort of thing.

jannypie

Post by jannypie » Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 am

Ugh. I have been drooling over the attendee list for a month. I seriously considered going. WANT.
----
Reality is stranger than fiction... except on The Drabblecast.

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu May 06, 2010 1:36 am

[It's a shame this isn't going to be a TED program. It would be a kick-ass one.]
It needs to be recorded, if not videotaped. Should start an online store and provide a DVD, or streaming video or mp3 of each session.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Thu May 06, 2010 3:12 am

http://balticon.org/

May 28-31

Added attraction - I'll be there. You can get business cards with pictures on em. Whaaaaaaaaa' ?
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

jannypie

Post by jannypie » Wed May 19, 2010 3:06 pm

I think I've convinced myself to go, need to work out logistics. Who else will be there?? StalinSays and Norm?
----

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Wed May 19, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm trying to pull it off. Probably doing the train, but probably not taking the bus once I get there. Don't know if the hotel is sold out so I might be at a different one. I'm a putz for waiting this long to arrange stuff. Blah.

jannypie

Post by jannypie » Wed May 19, 2010 3:31 pm

I'd possibly be coming from DC also (well, I'd be coming from Ohio, and staying with a friend in DC).
----

bell

Post by bell » Tue May 25, 2010 9:50 pm

I'll be going! With the kids! Unless I don't -- but it will take a disaster for me not to go.

My college reunion is the same weekend, but it's an off year, so I'll skip it.

Can we have like a mini-Drabble-reunion? Like, at one of Norm's panels on Saturday?
http://www.apoGrypha.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What would have been written.
Spoiler:
If they hadn't died first.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Wed May 26, 2010 2:00 am

K, so dreamrock is officially going. Unless crazy shizz happens. In which case, he will be out serious cha-ching and be very very unhappy. :lol:

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Thu May 27, 2010 8:11 pm

So there is two great meet-up / general interest points that come immediately to mind. Norm is doing a live B-Sides episode read at 6pm tomorrow (Friday the 28th). Also, he's playing a show some time later evening Saturday. I'll be tagging around both. My name is Bo, and I look like this:

...except about 4 years older and with shorter hair. At least one of the days I'll be wearing the Drabblecast T-Shirt. And hey, I should have 11x17 prints to sell if you want a semi-official DC take home.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu May 27, 2010 8:44 pm

Lookin forward to seein yall!
Ya, here's where I'll be as far as scheduling goes, for anyone interested:

Friday
6:00, Salon C
Drabblecast Live! Reading/Recording of Growing Humans by Neil Buchanan

Saturday
5:00, Derby Room
Art, Music and Literature in the Age of its Technological Reproducibility

7:00, Derby Room
Online Speculative Fiction Markets: New Media, New Markets, New Business Models

8:00, Garden Room
Concert

Sunday
12:00 Derby Room
Lovecraft Cagefight

6:00, Chesapeake
Cryptozoology 101

7:00, Chesapeake
How to Write a Kick-ass Song about Anything Workshop

Maybe we could all meet up for drinks and snag a group photo Saturday night at some point after 9ish.
"Give us all some Jelly"