Editing/Audacity Tips and Help

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
swamp

Editing/Audacity Tips and Help

Post by swamp » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:18 am

Since some of us are branching out to provide content for the new Dribblecast (or for our own podcast as in ROU's Clowns and Bunnies), I thought this might be a good spot to collect questions, answers, tips, support for some of the more novice editors like me.

First off, I was looking trying add sound effects to a recording, or more like the same sound effect x 10. Do I need to add all of those in as a separate track and then time shift them against the main track? Or is there a way to merge the multiple uses of the effect into a single track and space them out for the correct times?

Same question goes for if I want to break my narration into different parts and then merge them into a single track. Is this possible, or should I just create multiple tracks and then time shift them appropriately?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, and others may too. Hopefully we can all learn from each other.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: Editing/Audacity Tips and Help

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:36 am

ROU likes this thread but shall not presume to give advice just yet, as I am but an egg. ROU shall be watching this closely. ROU also promises to stop speaking about ROU in the 3rd person in future threads.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:14 am

ROU is a cracked egg. :)
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:43 am

moonowl wrote:ROU is a cracked egg. :)
If you want to make an omelet...

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:47 am

As far as multiple uses of a sound on a single track, I've discovered you can easily highlight and and cut and paste. I've been using Generate Silence to make sure the track is long enough to have room to paste it in, then higlighting the silence and deleting out bits to position, then adding in silence to push it back til it's positioned the way I'm after. For any one segment of my cast I haven't had to use more than 3 tracks. One for the vocal, one for any music or ambience and a third for sound effects.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:12 am

I haven't had to do anything extremely complicated in Audacity in a long time.

That said, please do not be afraid of keeping your stuff in multiple tracks. You'll have a lot more flexibility in moving individual clips around. One thing to note is that there are a few different tools which are available but not necessarily obvious. I think the default tool is the multi-use tool. Where you select on a track determines what the tool does. Instead, I'd switch it to the select or to the move tool depending on what you need to do with it.

So, short answer to your question, put the effects you're talking about doing 10x in their own track. If they're being moved around individually, you'll want to paste them apart so you can move them to fit where they need to go more precisely.

Some points: save regularly and don't bother doing your mix down (what happens when you save a multitrack to mp3, ogg, or wav) until you have the editing done. It's not bad, but it ends up being a waste of time and disk space. Also, give your track one last listen on like an mp3 player or something at high volume and normal speed so you can see if there are any things you didn't notice before uploading it anywhere.

Lots of people try to remove breath sounds. Don't. Normal people breathe. If it seems too loud, consider a pop filter.

Something I do which may be a bad idea is I take pauses between my lines. Then I cut the extra silence out until it has the right natural cadence to it. I do this because otherwise I'll read too fast. Summary on that: when playing around with pauses, make sure they sound natural.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:29 am

A background in the theater can help with the pauses thing. (Or even just playing the Script Game, where you get a play and you and some friends do a dry-read around the table after dinner.)

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:07 am

I have not yet found the correct context for this (Meta-Brain needed cheesey salesman not robotic overlord)...

http://supportpcs.co.uk/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=69" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:22 am

Phenopath wrote:I have not yet found the correct context for this (Meta-Brain needed cheesey salesman not robotic overlord)...

http://supportpcs.co.uk/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=69" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've thought of a new contest. Who can do the best cheezy salesman voice version of Meta-Brain...

Wolfshade

Post by Wolfshade » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:29 pm

swamp wrote:
Same question goes for if I want to break my narration into different parts and then merge them into a single track. Is this possible, or should I just create multiple tracks and then time shift them appropriately?
It is very advisable to break your story down into pieces that you line up in the end. Some crashes can happen from having too many sound files open, especially if harddrive space is low. You will learn all too painfully how often you save things. I find that somewhere around 10 minute chunks work well (using natural break points, not strict time points). The important thing is that the pieces go together seamlessly, so make sure each one gets modified in a consistent way (aim for a certain dB level for sound effects if you use them, make sure the narrator's volume is ending up in the same place). Save each chunk as a wav. Line up the wav files when you're doing the final mix, add your music here at the end, and then save that to an mp3 (if that is your sought format).

That's my advice, anyway.
http://twitter.com/wolfshade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.fullcastpodcast.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:40 am

How does one minimize that background hum? No matter what I do to the gain, it's still there. Everyone else's sound so quiet...

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:59 am

Scattercat wrote:How does one minimize that background hum? No matter what I do to the gain, it's still there. Everyone else's sound so quiet...
The noise reduction effect in Audacity is quite effective.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Oh, here is a good one.

Audacity won't start for no apparent reason (although the process is running in Task Manager). This may be due to the recording source having gone awol, try farting about in the Sound bit of the Windows control panel disabling recording devices and suchforth and you may sort it out... eventually.

Do I sound bitter?

swamp

Post by swamp » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:32 am

OK Here's a couple of things I have learned about Audacity lately:

1) I had problems with Audacity crashing when I tried to import an .flac or .aif file, but I found that using the Import Raw Data function allows it to be imported

2) If you are not promted to provide the ID tag information when Exporting as mp3, the file will take on the ID's of a previously exported file. Such as with my latest Dribble. I had previously made the "yeehaw" sfx as a separate mp3, and then later imported it into the main "Birthday" project. When I exported "Birthday" as an mp3, it didn't prompt me for the ID tags. I see now that it is up on the feed and in iTunes as "yeehaw" instead of "Birthday". Does anybody know how to prevent this?

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:57 am

Maybe try upgrading, I hadn't had audacity too long when my old computer went t's up, and when I got the new one it was up to version 1.3.12 (beta)

I'm much happier with the new version, buttons are place more logically, and it seems to work much better. also, I always get the prompts when exporting to MP3, when previously I had noted the problem you just outlined.

So, maybe upgrading your version might help?

swamp

Post by swamp » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:02 pm

Does anybody know how to strip the auido out of a Youtube video (or any video for that matter)? I am assuming it takes extra software.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:10 pm

swamp wrote:Does anybody know how to strip the auido out of a Youtube video (or any video for that matter)? I am assuming it takes extra software.
This is possibly not the best way, however, what I would do is use a website which will allow you to download the file and then use VLC to stream the audio from that file to a plain Wave file. I haven't done exactly that myself yet, so I can't offer any good advice there. If need be, I can try my hand at it and see what steps would be needed. Beware, though, we'd probably have to be using the exact same version of VLC on the exact same platform for the steps to match up. VLC changes its interface too frequently.

A simpler way would be to set the inputs for audacity to the lineout in software. The trouble with this method is that there's some sort of conspiracy* going on between the copyright consortiums and the makers of closed source operating systems. Even though it's still technically possible to do that, they've made it difficult for the average user to figure out how to do. Since that doesn't make for great quality audio, I haven't done it myself in a long time and couldn't really tell you the best way to go about it.

The best possible solution would be to get the original audio, though.

*Cite sources.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:13 pm

I do it quite easily with a free basic version of WavePad Sound Editor, available online from NCH Software. This also converts wav to mp3 files. Gives you a wide choice of bitrate recording levels for quality vs discspace.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Wolfshade

Post by Wolfshade » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:59 pm

swamp wrote:
2) If you are not promted to provide the ID tag information when Exporting as mp3, the file will take on the ID's of a previously exported file. Such as with my latest Dribble. I had previously made the "yeehaw" sfx as a separate mp3, and then later imported it into the main "Birthday" project. When I exported "Birthday" as an mp3, it didn't prompt me for the ID tags. I see now that it is up on the feed and in iTunes as "yeehaw" instead of "Birthday". Does anybody know how to prevent this?
My experience has been that if you start making your sound file in audacity by opening a file that is already tagged with Audacity, it assumes the tags are meant to carry through. You can avoid this (I think) by starting from a fresh, empty project and importing the sound files you will incorporate one at a time. To be safe, you might even make sure the 1st thing you do in the project is record a few seconds of silence before importing your 1st file..I'd have to do a test to see if the tags from the 1st import are 'kept' or not. It's been a while since I used Audacity!

Wolfshade

Post by Wolfshade » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:02 pm

swamp wrote:Does anybody know how to strip the auido out of a Youtube video (or any video for that matter)? I am assuming it takes extra software.
There are youtube videos that show in detail how to do this. You might check out a few of them, as each one is geared toward a particular website.