Podcast advice

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
rob_haines

Podcast advice

Post by rob_haines » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:23 pm

Long time Drabblecast listener & contributor here, looking for a bit of advice. I'm considering podcasting a couple of novellas I wrote a while back (especially as there doesn't really seem to be much of a market for novella-length fiction at the moment), and I've got a couple of questions that I thought I'd throw into the mix.

1) I'm looking for a microphone of sufficient quality to sound professional (or at least as professional as my voice can manage), but as cheap as possible. I'm probably looking at the $50-60 range, maybe up to $80 is necessary. Any suggestions?

2) Where do other podcasters (Norm particularly included) get their sound effects? I've run into a bunch of sites online that offer royalty-free sound effects, but they're either random collections of sound files with dubious copyright or $5 per three second effect wav files.

I'd be very grateful for any advice anyone can offer.

Cheers,

Rob

normsherman
Site Admin

Re: Podcast advice

Post by normsherman » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:03 am

rob_haines wrote:Long time Drabblecast listener & contributor here, looking for a bit of advice. I'm considering podcasting a couple of novellas I wrote a while back (especially as there doesn't really seem to be much of a market for novella-length fiction at the moment), and I've got a couple of questions that I thought I'd throw into the mix.

1) I'm looking for a microphone of sufficient quality to sound professional (or at least as professional as my voice can manage), but as cheap as possible. I'm probably looking at the $50-60 range, maybe up to $80 is necessary. Any suggestions?

2) Where do other podcasters (Norm particularly included) get their sound effects? I've run into a bunch of sites online that offer royalty-free sound effects, but they're either random collections of sound files with dubious copyright or $5 per three second effect wav files.

I'd be very grateful for any advice anyone can offer.

Cheers,

Rob
what are you recording into and editing/mixing with?
It's hard to get a decent mic for 50/60.00- if you can stretch to 100.00 at least you'll have a lot more choices.

I've come to believe that if you want really good sound effects you have to either make them yourself or pay a couple bucks for them. Music is diff- that requires time. If you have time, surf through the web and you can find tons of usable good background music that you can use if you ask(or you can make your own like I do sometimes if you have a keyboard). Sound effects: your usually stuck with getting an assload or random shit you can sometimes use for a bulk rate or paying around 2 bucks per 10 second clip if you don't wanna make your own. My fav for buying sound effects is audiosparx.com aluthough I have 3 or 4 others I can point you too if your really interested.

Good luck!
"Give us all some Jelly"

rob_haines

Post by rob_haines » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:40 pm

Thanks Norm.

I've had a bit of audio editing experience with Audacity, so I was planning on relying on that for both recording & editing. In terms of hardware, I was planning on plugging a microphone & headphones directly into the line in/out ports on my computer's soundcard.

I just had a quick look at audiosparx. Looks pretty good. I guess it all comes down to whether I want to be jumping around with a pair of coconut shells in front of a microphone for half an hour or if I suck it up and shell out a few bucks here and there. I think it might have to be the latter :D

Rob