Drabble Reviews Blog

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: Drabble Reviews Blog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:57 pm

Eccleston wasn't bad, but he earns a Palin award from me for taking a big job and then quitting half way through. Seriously, you should be willing to do more than a single season if you want to get us invested in you as a serious portrayer of The Doctor.

Thought Tennant was brilliant.

Think Matt Smith is brillianter-(er?) Is that a word?
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:10 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:Think Matt Smith is brillianter-(er?) Is that a word?
I believe the proper prose would read:

Matt Smith is straight brilly dawg! Mo brilly than Tennant, who brilly too tho, I ain't lie.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

More Dr.Who speculationering

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:57 am

Who is River Song?
Huge
Spoiler:
The question asked is the question answered, now that we have it out in the open that she is the daughter of Amelia Pond and Rory Whatshisname.

However the big giveaway was the subtle reveal that the entire set of clues pointing to a romance between River Song and The Doctor was a gigantic red herring.

You did catch the bit about how she said she was trying to tell him who she was, while looking down meaningfully at the crib with Gallifrean script on the side, and The Doctor making the "nomnomnom" nursey face (after the previous comment not to call Amy "big milk thingey".)

I think delving into The Doctor's origins in this manner is a good thing, (and probably will lead into a long range "return of the Time Lords" story arc, which should be fun to watch...)

They need to bring back The Doctor having to deal with the Gallifrean bureaucracy aspect of the series.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:10 am

Oi! Supremely cool episode!
Spoiler:
You think the romance was a red herring? I took from all the Doctor's giggling that indeed they did, and he was laughing and pointing at the "parents" of the child he was kissing.

He also never answered the question of if he ever had any children.
Smile on my face most of that episode!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:54 pm

I recall the Eccleston Doctor stating "I was a dad once," and my Wikipedia reading informs me that the first Doctor traveled with his "granddaughter." So I think he is supposed to have had a child, but some sort of Doctor Who-ian weirdness either irrevocably removed the kid from him, or it wasn't really his kid, or it's in a different dimension, etc. Whatever the details, the answer is not "No." He is not not a father, and the subject is painful to him.

I think it's implied that the person in the space suit is
Spoiler:
River Song, and that the girl in 1969 is also River. We learned in Season 5 that River is imprisoned for "killing a man" who was "a hero to many." It would seem likely that the man in question would be the Doctor. And then the Doctor is killed by a person in a space suit, which is worn by the girl who is evidently River. So the girl is River who is the person in the space suit who kills the Doctor for reasons yet unknown.

And the Silence are involved. There were Silent there when the Doctor was killed, and it was the Silence who ended up with young River. They'll be back for the finale or I'm... uh... wrong.
And River totally loves The Doctor. Either that or she's put on a very deliberate charade.
Spoiler:
But poor Amy and Rory. If River is their daughter, then it seems quite unlikely that they will ever get their baby back! :cry:
Advertise in this space!

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:17 pm

Spoiler:
Aside: If all it takes to get a baby time lord is to have two humans get it on in the TARDIS, then repopulating the universe with time lords should be logistically very simple. :0
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:19 am

Spoiler:
Every mother totally loves their child. Of course she loves the doctor

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:35 am

:D
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:09 am

Heee hee..

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:15 pm

Tweed seems to like, or is at least interested in this new-ish Doctor. Drop by and talk Who now and again, bub.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:39 am

http://www.hulu.com/the-booth-at-the-end" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watch this. It is great.

Premise: In a nondescript booth in a nondescript restaurant there sits a man who can give you what you want. Whatever it is. Guaranteed. There is a catch, of course: You must perform the task he asks of you. Do the task, get your wish.

To say more would risk spoiling. Great concept well executed. I hope to see more from these people
Advertise in this space!

themorg

Post by themorg » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:06 am

Cowboys VS. Aliens

Firstly i was hesitant to go see this movie because i was worried it was just going to be a hollywood FX pooped out summer movie.(like a drunk guy getting onstage at a strip club...) Secondly i did not want to see Harrison Ford show off just how much drinking he had done ever after that brief winning streak against the Empire in the 1980's. Thirdly I could not see myself wasting 9.50 for an evening showing.

Oh peer pressure...

It was a fantastic jump into a world that was well known (the old west) and Honorific Aliens.
Spoiler:
I do not plan on spoiling this but i have a hard time seeing a problem with spoiling this movie. It is kind of like Titanic you know the boat is going to sink or Return of the Jedi where you know there gonna be fuzzy muppets. In many ways the trailer told me more about the plot than i will in any description of the movie i will give.

They did a good job keeping the old west town very era 1890ish without getting into local details. With a keen eye you know it is somewhere dry with hills and arroyos. (west Texas to Arizona ish) costuming was good but not truly era. Daniel Craig i noticed when he was riding alone totally was riding in a European (Proper equestrian) way rather than the Western saddle way. He captured the character but when he did that i kept thinking about him on an English estate rather than a proper outlaw. He faked it much better with others around but it was a subtle thing like that that can make or break a movie.

They kept up with common ideas of the bartender, the sheriff, the outlaw etc. The aliens were a mystery most of the first third of the movie. The thing i was most glad of was that there is no chance of sequel without it just being a horrible farce of the original. So many movies want to be the next crazy long sequel after sequel that makes millions. Harrison Ford was good in the role they put him in.
Uncommly good mix of CG and real life human battles and plenty of cliché dialog kept me intrested the entire time.

TheMorg's score: 89

Unless you have a Monster of TV and awesome sound system this movie might be kind of whatever.

Home rental score: 45

Reason to go see it: A quick shot into a world well known with the alien twist. It is for the action junkie that is not picky weather they Jackie Chan action or Alien vs. Preditor.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:51 am

Just saw Cowboys and Aliens. I gotta say, that was pretty fun!
It somehow manages to not be a crazy mashup of genres, but instead a solid action flick. Thinking about it for a moment, Alien invasion movies are based upon the aliens having much more advanced tech than us. Well, how is that different between a modern day setting and a old west setting? It's not, the exact same dynamics apply.

Fun movie, I'd give it a 80/100.

themorg

Post by themorg » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:21 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:It somehow manages to not be a crazy mashup of genres, but instead a solid action flick. .
It was a good mashup vs a horrible one.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:10 am

Dr. Who season Finale.

Wow, what an episode! Quite a ride.
However,
Spoiler:
Ending. Cop out, or reasonable?
I mean, TIME isn't going to mistake an imitation for the real thing. On the other hand, the second body is kinda the real thing, and it had the doctor in it.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:03 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Just saw Cowboys and Aliens. I gotta say, that was pretty fun!
It somehow manages to not be a crazy mashup of genres, but instead a solid action flick. Thinking about it for a moment, Alien invasion movies are based upon the aliens having much more advanced tech than us. Well, how is that different between a modern day setting and a old west setting? It's not, the exact same dynamics apply.

Fun movie, I'd give it a 80/100.
Kevin's next book: The Good, the Bad, and the Tentacled, the first spaghetti syfi?
Guess it's been done already: http://flightofthebmovie.blogspot.com/2 ... -1977.html
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:51 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Dr. Who season Finale.

Wow, what an episode! Quite a ride.
However,
Spoiler:
Ending. Cop out, or reasonable?
I mean, TIME isn't going to mistake an imitation for the real thing. On the other hand, the second body is kinda the real thing, and it had the doctor in it.
Spoiler:
Well, it goes without saying that while TIME isn't going to be fooled by an imitation, an even greater rule governing the space/time continuum of the BBS is that "Thall shall not kill off your franchise."
That being said, I think a much better route for them to have taken to tie this conundrum up would have been to leave the Flesh Doctor-Ganger alive and in the background to bring back to take the fall for The Doctor. (Then it really WOULD have been him dying... and surviving...) surprised that missed, what to me, seems an obvious plot resolution mechanism. Still, as Tom said. Quite a ride.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:11 pm

Spoiler:
Hmm.. Yes that could be. But is that is so "last season". :-)

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:23 pm

A fun ride? Yes. Satisfying? Not really.

All of the pathos cultivated throughout the series was squandered: The Doctor was facing mortality; fate had caught up with him; he was truly desperate, and truly alone. And then, BAM, duex ex machina time, and he's waving his cowboy hat and grinning at the big joke he's played on everybody. Geronimo! The story was promising to mean something, and then it suddenly didn't.

And... Does it need to be pointed out that nothing in the finale actually made any sense? I mean any. If you stop and think about it, what difference did it make whether or not River drained the suit's power, since the Doctor was only pretending anyway? Time is disintegrating because she refuses to kill him... but he doesn't really die anyway, so what's time got its knickers in a twist over? And his death is a "fixed point," and yet the number of people who know he didn't die is quite high. Forget about fooling time: Amy, Rory and River all know, the blue head guy knows, the whole crew of the morphing robot knows, anyone he meets in the coming series will know. (We can be quite certain the Daleks will find out shortly.) His non-death is a very open secret, which, again, defeats the pathos and the urgency that was built up throughtout the series. These events were sold as being extremely significant, but, in the end... nothing really happened, did it? The net effect of the finale was merely to negate the premier.

And yet is was a lot of fun to see Area 52, and to see Caesar Churchill, and to see Amy mowing down Silence with a big black machine gun, and so I don't feel nearly as disapointed as my brain tells me I ought to.
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:55 pm

Tweedy sums up my feelings nicely, particularly in his final line. I think they missed a logical out by killing The Doctor-ganger too soon.