Drabble Reviews Blog

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: Drabble Reviews Blog

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:13 am

Tweedy, well put. I agree wholeheartedly with you.
All TV serieses do this; they build so much suspense into a perceived great big plot. Your mind fills in all the possibilities, better than a writer ever could. But then they have to close the story, and it all comes crashing down.

That being sad, I think this ending crashed harder than many.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:51 am

I suppose what is most disappointing, (even if it is unthinkable) would have been to take the bold approach of having that actually be the fixed point in time where The Doctor meets his end.

In the short run, this doesn't even complicate Matt Smith's tenure as The Doctor, since any "future" appearances could be explained as being part of his past (he's a time traveler after all, if you can't make use of that as a plot device here, you can't use it anywhere.)

It would make it problematic in the sense that MS would be the "Last Doctor" although you could advance the series beyond that by postulating an offspring of River and The Doctor (and the rebirth of the race of Timelords...)

But here I go again, Tom, being a viewer who is clearly smarter than the writing staff... ;-)

Still as Tweedy so eloquently pointed out, we got to see Caeser Churchill. (That whole broken time bit was wonderful and should probably been explored in at least a 2 part episode, if not a major arc in a season, imho...)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:25 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:Still as Tweedy so eloquently pointed out, we got to see Caeser Churchill. (That whole broken time bit was wonderful and should probably been explored in at least a 2 part episode, if not a major arc in a season, imho...)
You know, it was almost better having all that craziness be so quick. I felt like an awesome roller coaster for the brain.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:03 am

I hope in the next series they go with a smaller story.

The Doctor has always saved the Earth twice a week, but lately he's been saving the universe, and that has implications that are hard to shrug off. In both of the Matt Smith series, the universe is destroyed because of the Doctor and the miraculously restored by him, and both of them of them have things-that-never-happened events as a result. (Can you imagine what a mess Amy's head must be, with three distinct pasts in her memory?) And if the obvious interpretation of the end of the current series is correct, the question "Doctor Who?" is of cosmic significance. To me it seems like the character has become too big in his universe, less of an adventurer around whom thing happen and more of a god around whom things orbit.

So, yeah, I hope that in the next series the main story does not involve the recreation of the universe by the Doctor's hand. I think he should go look for a treasure or something. (Series 3 with The Master had a wonderful main story.)
Advertise in this space!

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:35 am

Although I have not watched the show recently, I am inspired by Tweedy to suggest that the best outcome of Amy's problem having to remember 3 distinct universes is an episode in which he runs out of memory, and Existence gets very sluggish. Which the Doctor fixes by creating the zombie apocalypse (more brains = more memory).

And now that I have solved the next season, maybe ya'll will go pick up House of Leaves while you wait for the seasons to change. Think of it as a long commercial interruption.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:45 pm

Strawman = funny point.
Tweedy = good point.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:08 am

Megagreements on Tweedy's reference to The Master episodes. (I thought it was a shame to kill him off so soon after going to all that trouble to bring him back... He should have been allowed to escape, ala Serialized Villain convention, so as to be available to come back another day. (Of course, how many times has The Doctor totally, finally, and completely gotten rid of the Daleks, so I guess that killing him off really isn't that big of an impediment...) Still. Why kill him off and force yourself to overly contrive his re-appearance?
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:32 pm

What do you guys think about this movie? Looks pretty badass...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhlkGBZhNz4
"Give us all some Jelly"

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:01 pm

normsherman wrote:What do you guys think about this movie? Looks pretty badass...
Looks pretty cool. I'm about ready to pull out completely from the faux handycam documentary style, but an exception can be made.

Still more excited about this movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA48UG0gkJI
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:54 am

normsherman wrote:What do you guys think about this movie? Looks pretty badass...
Looks like a making of a supervillian movie. Interesting.

Bo, you're mean. :-)

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:15 pm

StalinSays wrote:
Looks pretty cool. I'm about ready to pull out completely from the faux handycam documentary style, but an exception can be made.

Still more excited about this movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA48UG0gkJI
Yah, I'm over the documentary gimmick too. Nuff's enough.

Sweet lord jesu that Jack and Jill movie looks like it will literally be the worst movie ever made in the world. Can't believe Pacino's dragging his name into that disaster.
"Give us all some Jelly"

themorg

Post by themorg » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:47 am

Just finished THE ENTIRE Dresden files series.
Spoiler:
Detective wizard set in Chicago, large world and other worldly characters, larger story going on the entire time. I am glad i finished it but must say it was rather pulpy. personally wish i had that kind of sales just saying.
My rating: 89/100

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:55 am

What have people been thinking about The River?
I'm horrible undecided. It has an interesting plot, but I'm horribly turned off by the presentation, ala Blair Witch.

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:39 am

tbaker2500 wrote:What have people been thinking about The River?
I'm horrible undecided. It has an interesting plot, but I'm horribly turned off by the presentation, ala Blair Witch.
My interest in The River is waning with each show. Some neat ideas and the premise is cool but the actions of the main characters on the boat seem to be unrealistic, but needed to drive the plot, I guess. My wife and I uttered "come on" a lot during the last episode. I'm not sure if a normal person could keep the cameras rolling during some of the things that have gone on. That being said, I'll keep watching it and there have been some creepy cool moments. We'll see what happens.
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!