Drabble Reviews Blog

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: Drabble Reviews Blog

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:25 am

Sam & Max, season 2

A true classic, Sam & Max was recently brought back to life by Telltale games. Season 2 is a real winner. Episode 2 was pretty pointless, but the rest are classic, culminating in Episode 5, "What's new, Beelzebub?"

Highlights include taking the Soul Train (yea, baby!) to hell. Finding hell has a cubicle-laden office. Finding a ornate room with your statues, showcasing all you've done to contribute to hell. The best part was getting Satan fired. He ends up on the streets, holding a sign that reads:

"Will condem for food.
God Bless."

All the Sam & Max's are great, but this one is classic.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:41 am

What platform are you playing on? Price?
Advertise in this space!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:53 pm

They did it on Wii as well as PC, and I believe the season collection discs are at a discount price. I know the episodes are usually 10 a pop.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:12 pm

I'm playing it on PC, but they have it on wii and xbox, i think. PC it's about $20 for the season on sale. telltalegames.com

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:15 pm

I'll play Sam and Max if you play Braid. Deal?
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:06 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:I'll play Sam and Max if you play Braid. Deal?
Now that's bipartisanship in action.

(I'm on the up side of my rapid-cycle... All you guys are good medicine...)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:16 am

I'm just sharing knowledge: I haven't played a point and click adventure game this decade. Figured you'd want that version because it uses the wii mote, which is your secret mistress. I want more value out of any 'if you do this' offers. Like if I play Braid, you play Pokemon Heart Silver.

I'll play Braid when they remake it as something other than a puzzle platformer. Ok, that's a bit harsh. Likely scenario: I'll buy Braid, leave it to collect e-dust on my harddrive, revisiting it in a couple years when I run out of all of the fancy 3d action games that don't make me think, and essentially clear my back log. I still have to beat Killzone 2, the original Bioshock, Silent Hill Homecoming, Uncharted 1 & 2, The Half-Life series, GTA IV, and Batman, plus whatever new games are coming out.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:23 am

More movies - since we temporarily canceled DirectTV Janet and I are working through our DVD collection from A to Z. I think we have about four to six months worth at one DVD per night. Anyhow we just moved from the letter D to E and played a couple more that should go on any list of strange movies. They are Dogma and tonight another favorite, especially because of Danny Elfman's wonderful musice, Edward Scissorhands.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:43 pm

No deal. Nothing is worth playing Pokemon Heart Silver.

You don't dare get Uncharted 2. You fear the shameful pwning I would inflict upon you.
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:15 am

I just looked at the website. That actually looks pretty cool!
'Twill be downloaded!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:57 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:
I just looked at the website. That actually looks pretty cool!
'Twill be downloaded!
OW! OW! My brain!!!!!

So.. um.. Why does it start on Chapter 2?

Beautiful game so far.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:36 am

Chapter 1 is in the attic. :)
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:50 pm

How do I do the next puzzle? ARGH! No, wait, don't tell me...

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:00 pm

There was one puzzle I cheated on. I'll give you a hint, since it isn't quite fair: It isn't something you're likely to naturally discover. The goombas can jump off your head just like you can jump off theirs.

There, that was the hint. Now you just need to discover which puzzle it applies to. :)
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:54 pm

Aye crap, that would've been annoying. Thanks.

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:03 pm

I guess any media is fair game in this thread.

Here's something cool that landed in my in-box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_jyXJTl ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:35 pm

eric_marsh wrote:I guess any media is fair game in this thread.

Here's something cool that landed in my in-box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_jyXJTl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false ... r_embedded
Indeed, that is cool. Maurice Gee wrote 'Under the Mountain', perhaps the most terrify book that I read as a child.
Phenopath's Story Archive

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:42 pm

Recently finished "Uncharted 2: Among Thieves" for the PS3.

Hollywood action movie wish they were this game. The Mummy wishes it was this game. Indiana Jones wishes it was this game. Whatever junk Michael Bay pulls out in 2011 will try to be this game, but fail. Among Thieves is one epic set-piece battle after another, with frequent pauses to climb around on said set pieces, with frequent pauses for funny wise cracks from characters who seem well aware of the absurdity of the world they inhabit. If a helicopter gunship suddenly appeared and started raining lead on you, what would you say? Nathan Drake says "Oh crap, not again!" That's just the sort of thing that happens to him, and, while he doesn't enjoy it, it's not something to get too worked up over either.

The most striking thing about Among Thieves is it's presentation: The graphics are great, the physics are great, the artwork is great, the voice acting is great, and the character animations are very great. This game is trying to compete with Hollywood, and it's got polish to match. From ancient ruins to urban sprawl, from snow and ice to jungle sun, the game looks and sounds simply fantastic. This technology is put to good use, filling the screen with over-the-top awesomeness at pretty much all times. You get a good idea of what the rest of the game will be like when the very first sequence, when the game starts with you sitting in a train car, which is dangling over a cliff. You eventually make it to the top of the cliff, but the train ends up at the bottom. This sets the pace for a game that has you character dramatically defying death approximately once every two minutes, all the while griping about how he didn't ask for this crap and how come he never gets a break. The cast of characters are somewhat cliché, but they are presented very well and seem more like real people than any of the "real" actors you saw in, for instance, Transformers. The story is also pretty disposable, just an excuse to get you from one set piece to the next, but it never pretends to be more, so it's hard to fault it.

On the gameplay front, Among Thieves also shines. Controls are fast, fluid and intuitive enough that you can generally make you character do what you want without really thinking about it. Action moves seamlessly from shooting to fistfights to acrobatics. An easy to grasp cover system makes shooting strategic, as you seek out positions that let you attack without exposing you to reprisal. If you've played Gear of War, you have a rough idea of how Among Thieves plays. Imagine Gears with super-agile characters who can jump, climb and swing, and you've got an idea of how Among Thieves plays.

The single player is not long, but it's fun enough that you'll surely play it through at least twice. The only real flaw is its final battle, which come down as pretty anticlimactic, considering all the explosive awesomeness that preceded it. (It isn't bad, but it feel too small considered in its context.) The game's real lasting value comes from its excellent online multiplayer, in which 2 teams of 5 compete in about a dozen different game types. While the multiplayer isn't unique and will feel very familiar to anyone who's played Gears, it is extremely polished and consistently fun.

Among Thieves is nearly perfect in terms of entertainment. Consistent excitement, stellar production, lasting value, and even some legitimate comedy scattered here and there. An easy recommendation for anyone. If you get any enjoyment from big, dumb summer blockbusters, you'll love this. It's bigger than anything you're likely to see next summer, and less dumb too.

Tweedy Score: 90[/i]
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:52 am

Here's a quick one.

Avatar is the best movie I've ever seen.

10 tentacles up.
"Give us all some Jelly"

TheJebi

Re: Avatar

Post by TheJebi » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:46 am

normsherman wrote:Here's a quick one.

Avatar is the best movie I've ever seen.

10 tentacles up.
Wow, that is quite a statement. Best movie you've ever seen huh?... Wow... I had been trying to not get my hopes up about it, but now it looks like I'll have to break my movie theater boycott.
“I’m not TheJebi because I like the hum of a lightsaber in my hand… and I’m not TheJebi because I like being TheJebi. I’m TheJebi because the Galaxy needs me to be TheJebi.”