Drabble Reviews Blog

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
jannypie

Re: Drabble Reviews Blog

Post by jannypie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:39 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:
As far as the topic of love goes, I think I'm going to avoid jumping into this discussion for now.

It's too soon.
I don't know what your history is, but I wrote that entire thing from a place that is very much hurting right now. The whole time I'm crying because of something someone did to me today, I'm reflecting on my failed marriage, and yet I believe every part of it.
----
Reality is stranger than fiction... except on The Drabblecast.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:27 am

Don't get me wrong, I love being "in love" as much as anyone. I just think it tends to be transitory, so you better have a more solid foundation. And as a life-long member of AlAnon, I grant what you say about codependent 'love'.
jannypie wrote: Those people would not show the proof of love if there were not love to begin.
Sounds like you've gotten circular here, unless you are saying people would not show proofs of love if they didn't feel like it.

But my point is that when you come to the end of your emotions, you still have a decision to make. And even when there are no emotions to start with, as with a stranger, we have the same decision to make. And it is the decision which is the love, whether to the spouse or a stranger. The old paradigm was Spirit over Mind/Will, over Emotions.

But then, I'm also a big fan of absolute truth, the most absolute of which is "Thou Knowest Not What Thou Knowest Not".
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:40 am

jannypie wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:
As far as the topic of love goes, I think I'm going to avoid jumping into this discussion for now.

It's too soon.
I don't know what your history is, but I wrote that entire thing from a place that is very much hurting right now. The whole time I'm crying because of something someone did to me today, I'm reflecting on my failed marriage, and yet I believe every part of it.
I'm looking over the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Joint Petition for Divorce right now, so I've been doing a fair bit of reflection on the topic myself. In my case I'm crying become of many somethings we did to each other over the course of the last seven years, though the other partner in this failed endeavor might see that differently.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

jannypie

Post by jannypie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:19 am

strawman wrote:Sounds like you've gotten circular here, unless you are saying people would not show proofs of love if they didn't feel like it.

But my point is that when you come to the end of your emotions, you still have a decision to make. And even when there are no emotions to start with, as with a stranger, we have the same decision to make. And it is the decision which is the love, whether to the spouse or a stranger. The old paradigm was Spirit over Mind/Will, over Emotions.
Ah, the old "my brain makes decisions that my heart will follow" line. Can't argue with dogmas like that. ;)

ROU- Send me a PM any time if you'd like, I'm a few months ahead of you. I'm a good listener too and don't judge. Venting is good therapy. : )
----

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:12 am

jannypie wrote:
strawman wrote:Sounds like you've gotten circular here, unless you are saying people would not show proofs of love if they didn't feel like it.

Ah, the old "my brain makes decisions that my heart will follow" line. Can't argue with dogmas like that. ;)

ROU- Send me a PM any time if you'd like, I'm a few months ahead of you. I'm a good listener too and don't judge. Venting is good therapy. : )
Thx janny.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:08 pm

ROU, my friend, same here anytime.

So much of life seems to consist of our response to suffering and rejection. That is why I have come to see that the willingness to suffer, without the desire to retaliate, is the heart of agape.

And that suffering can be redeemed.

It's only a dogma until you experience it.

Spoiler:

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:01 am

Nefarious software attacked my computer using Java so I'm typing this from my phone. Any typos you catch are my normal issues, not the phone. Just explaining why this is so abbreviated. I haven't much patience for typing on phones.

The Last Airbender

I really wanted to like this one. I love the show and made sure to watch all of season one before the movie came out so I could enjoy it properly.

Adaptations and I have a bad history. I've only seen one I was completely satisfied with if I knew the original work (though P&P with Clin Firth was pretty good for all its faults). Airbender didn't change this trend.

I'm ok with an adaptation changing details. I understand a two hour movie based on 20+ twenty minute episodes is going to lose something. The problem is when you lose the point of the story in the first place. M. Night turned a lighthearted action adventure into a gloomfest.

I was ok with the episodes they chose to draw the plots from. I wasn't ok with some details that they changed which weakened the story. Having the Earthbender prisoners imprisoned on a camp on ground damaged the emotional credibility of the scene. I was ok with M. making Aang learn pacifism from scratch. I wasn't ok that they changed his playful/serious dichotomy to emo monotony.

The casting was almost universally bad. Prince Zuko was the only one cast adequately. Aasif could have done well if directed properly.

And why the frell did they screw up the frelling pronunciations? Sah-ko, not Soo-ka. Ang not aaaahhhhhnng. I can't even begin to express how they pronounce Iroh. And how do you mispronounce Avatar that badly? Go watch the Blue People movie, M. Avatar didn't need a new pronunciation. Sheesh.

The dialogue was pretty poorly written and the voiceover and exposition were excessively heavyhanded. However, if you haven't seen the show, you may enjoy this quite a bit despite the issues which are apparent even without being a fan of the original.

I'm not going to bother scoring this one. Too lazy to format it correctly.

Last though: the racial complaints on casting are vastly overblown, but the casting was horrid regardless.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

mrsmica

Post by mrsmica » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:05 pm

NOOOO I want to like that movie T_T

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:33 am

Me too. And i pretty much don't understand anything in your review (didn't even know there was a show!) I just wanna see some dudes riding big reptiles fighting with martial arts and elemental powers.
I take it I should watch the show after catching this in theaters?
"Give us all some Jelly"

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:20 pm

normsherman wrote:Me too. And i pretty much don't understand anything in your review (didn't even know there was a show!) I just wanna see some dudes riding big reptiles fighting with martial arts and elemental powers.
I take it I should watch the show after catching this in theaters?
There are a few moments with dudes riding big reptiles and a bit of martial arts and lots of elemental powers. :lol:

But yeah, definitely wait until after you've seen the movie to watch the show.

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:40 pm

normsherman wrote: I just wanna see some dudes riding big reptiles
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1937726" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Same genre

Spoiler:

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:21 pm

The show was good? I always assumed it sucked because it was about a bald kid with a blue arrow on his head. Like, he's got a blue arrow on his head; show sucks. And it was on Nickelodeon. Unfair? It's good?
Advertise in this space!

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:30 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:The show was good? I always assumed it sucked because it was about a bald kid with a blue arrow on his head. Like, he's got a blue arrow on his head; show sucks. And it was on Nickelodeon. Unfair? It's good?
I love it to death, but I am admittedly an oddball.

If you've got Netflix streaming, check out the first three episodes. They're about 20 minutes of content each so you can watch that in about an hour and ten minutes after waiting for the buffering, etc. If you don't like it after that, then chances are pretty strong you won't like the show at all.

If you do like it, I think they have the whole thing up on streaming at the moment.

mrsmica

Post by mrsmica » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:21 pm

It is a kid's show, but it is awesome. All the protagonists are children, and the main character is the youngest of them all. I assumed the same as you because it was a kid's show, but I'm halfway through now and loving it.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:43 pm

Tomorrow is Inception Day. I desire to see the midnight showing, but will not, for I must open at Lowe's in the morning.
Advertise in this space!

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:15 pm

Toy Story 3

First thing ... this is not a movie for young children. I'm not a parent. I can't give you a good estimate of what age range is appropriate, but there are parts of this that are way too scary for the average five year old. If you want to take your kid anyway, the part that may be too intense for them starts in the
Spoiler:
landfill.
The trouble is that the movie is going to be kind of confusing if you try to miss that scene. If you think it would help, you can tell your kids that
Spoiler:
no toys are going to die in the uber serious part of the movie. Not even the villain or the little alien kids from the Claw game in TS2.
Now that I have the parental warnings out of the way ... this movie is amazing. I was under the impression that a third Toy Story movie didn't need to be made so I was going to give this one a pass. A lot of people I trust, though, said this was better than Toy Story 2 so I saw it anyway.

It's the best movie in the trilogy and I think it's enjoyable even if you missed either (or both) 1 and 2. The story has an incredible emotional weight and—admitted sap that I am—I spent much of the movie with tears in my eyes.

Dreamrock's Score: 100/100
Guess for others: 80-90/100

Guess for Others updated to include Strawman's vote in the range.

Tron

Yeah, yeah, I'm a late-comer to this one. I'm catching up on all the old classics. I only saw Beetlejuice, Ghostbusters, The Big Lebowski, and a number of others in the past 6-8 months or so and Tron is just the latest addition to this catchup list. The trouble with some of these is that they're hyped so much by people who saw them when they were young that watching them for the first time now can be a bit of a letdown.

So, that's why I'm bothering to review Tron. If you've loved Tron for years, this review isn't for you though you're welcome to read it of course.

Tron's plot details are largely incomprehensible. The plot arc is fairly understandable, but don't get hung up on the details because it seems to have been written by people who had a list of technical terms but no real understanding of how computers work.

Seeing versions of Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner from 30 years ago was wild.

The acting is pretty good, and the special effects hold up really well. I think the special effects are why this movie became a classic, though. Neither the acting nor the story are strong enough to account for it. Not to say they're bad, they're just not that good.

I didn't feel like I wasted my time watching the movie.

I'll skip giving it a numbered rating for everyone and just say it's 67/100 for me.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:13 am

Toy Story gets an 80 from me. It was very entertaining, but it wasn't a WALL-E or even an Up. I most enjoyed the superb execution: Every detail of the film's world is polished and authentic. But the story seemed a bit too contrived to feel urgent, and the ending seemed like a cop out, what with all the mournful talk about replacement and abandonment that preceded it. Great characters, great action, great worldbuilding, but a pretty unimaginative story. Still totally worth seeing, but not among Pixar's best.

I first saw Tron when I was 6 years old, and I loved it to the point of obsession. I saw it again when I was old enough to know better, but I prefer to remember it as it seemed to me back in 1989, and in 1989 it was 101.
Advertise in this space!

jannypie

Post by jannypie » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:34 pm

Saw Inception last night, and it was fantastic. The plot was very intricate and fast moving from the very beginning. I was absorbed in it from the start. The dream world concept was done very well, they added several different ideas to it that were interesting and surprising. There were a few shoot'em'up action scenes that got a bit long, but it didn't detract from the story at all. I really don't have anything bad to say about the actors, the effects, or anything else. I just really loved this movie and I already want to see it again to catch more of the details, which is a rare feat these days.
----

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:39 am

Saw Inception. It was good, but how good? Were I a bachelor, I would have seen it again without leaving the theatre to settle the question. Alas, it will have to wait for another day.
Advertise in this space!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:26 pm

Saw Inception as well, and it has that District 9 afterglow. I know it's good, that rare bird, an original, intelligent sci-fi movie - I'm struggling with 'how good.' My instinct is to slap on a 9 out of 10; the 'first watch' was rapture. But so many sections are burdened with explanation and establishing rules that I fear it won't be as compelling over multiple viewings. I don't know, do you knock it for that?
Spoiler:
As an aside, for those who have seen the movie, I'd like to go ahead and make a (not all that bold) assertion: Cobb (Leo) is dreaming. The entire events of the movie, as suggested by the top totem shot at the end of the movie, are the main character's dream. I know the top leaned, but it didn't fall. His kids are in the same clothes, the same age, suggesting they are the same kind of phantasm of memory as Cobb's wife. The chase after recruiting Eames (Tom Hardy) in the 'real world' played out exactly like a dream world section, complete with him getting lodged in a tightening alley (happens to me all the time in dreamscapes). I don't want this to grow any Blade Runner, is Decker a replicant(?), kind of legs. It's just sitting right there, no essays necessary.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com