Drabble Reviews Blog

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
themorg

Re: Drabble Reviews Blog

Post by themorg » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:33 pm

Phenopath wrote:Ham in Coca-cola

Delicious 5/5

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/ch ... e_p_1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
when i had a smoker i would cut a whole for the ham to stick an entire coke inside it opened. i would get just enough sweet from the center and enough smoked goodness from the outside. i could not have a smoker anymore because i do not live in a rural area.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:44 am

The Troll Hunters

Yes, yes the film hasn't been released yet, this is a review of the trailer. And if you haven't seen it Youtube Troll Hunter English and you will thank me.

To be short, I'm weak at the knees. I know trailers are designed to pull you in, but they don't usually work with me. About the only time it has was Cloverfield, but this film looks.....just....amazing. The only issue is if I can learn Norwegian before its release.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:50 am

dreamrock wrote:Thirst (2009 Korean film)

This is one of the oddest vampire movies I've ever seen.

Dreamrock's Score: 90
Boy you can say that again.
I was digging through this thread looking for a good movie to watch tonight and settled on this one. Good one!
4 out of 5 clown eggs
"Give us all some Jelly"

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:25 am

EDIT: Oh, hey. For everyone who was waiting for Dr. Parnassus, it's now on Netflix streaming. I suspect it's also on Amazon VOD, iTunes, or whatever else. I'm too busy with NaNoWriMo to be watching new stuff at the moment so let me know how it goes. :lol:

normsherman wrote:
dreamrock wrote:Thirst (2009 Korean film)

This is one of the oddest vampire movies I've ever seen.

Dreamrock's Score: 90
Boy you can say that again.
I was digging through this thread looking for a good movie to watch tonight and settled on this one. Good one!
4 out of 5 clown eggs
:D Sweet. Glad you and Bo enjoyed it.

All of us who troll Netflix streaming for odd movies need to remember to review 'em here.

Full Metal Jacket

Unfortunately, the movie falls a little flat when you've heard literally every clever line in it quoted elsewhere. It's also a little slow moving.

Doing a full review of a classic seems a little silly so I'll spare everyone and say if you haven't seen it, you probably should. Just prepare for slight disappointment if everyone told you it was the greatest thing ever.

Janeane Garofalo: Live in Seattle

Stand up. I like Janeane and I found this pretty boring. If you dislike her, you're definitely not going to enjoy this. If you like her, you're probably not going to find it that funny.

Dreamrock's Score: 20/100

Eureka Season 1

An innocuous, science-themed, but utterly unscientific show about a normal U.S. Marshall who becomes a sheriff in a town of geniuses and ends up solving Big Mysteries because none of the geniuses have any common sense at all.

It's pretty enjoyable if you're able to shut off the sciencey part of your mind effectively. If you don't like it by the end of the pilot, don't bother. It's pretty consistent all the way through.

Dreamrock's Score: 60/100

Walking with Cavemen (two part documentary)

An exploration of humanity's recent ancestors and close cousins with some speculation on how they led to us.

It was interesting, but I found it a little light on content considering its length. Overall, I suspect a book on the subject would be more valuable if you find the subject interesting. Exactly which book to recommend, I don't know.

Dreamrock's Score: 50/100

Red Dwarf (through season 4 at least)

Two maintenance workers aboard the Red Dwarf find themselves the last living humans on said ship millions of years in the future. Except one of them is a hologram. And the non-hologram human's cat evolved into a human looking being so as to better abuse the ship's ration system. Stupid and hilarious.

Give it two episodes. They're short. If you don't love it by the end of the second, you'll probably hate it all the way through.

Dreamrock's Score: 95/100
Guess for everyone else: 50/100

Devil May Cry (anime)

Very silly guy who is always in debt because everyone takes advantage of him fights demons so he can pay off his debts. Which never works out because the people who hire him are taking advantage of him.

Interesting concept, good animation. The first episode or so gives you the idea that it's going somewhere. It's not.

Dreamrock's Score: 40/100

Starhunter 2300 (first three episodes)

A bounty hunter and his partner join up with other bounty hunters and their partners aboard a newly found ship "captained" by the daughter of someone famous who apparently disappeared in hyperspace or something.

It's not a bad show, but how the crap they got all the money to make a show on such a thin premise and mediocre characters blows my mind. Why won't people give me tons of money to make better things?

Dreamrock's Score: 45/100
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:48 am

dreamrock wrote: Full Metal Jacket

Just prepare for slight disappointment if everyone told you it was the greatest thing ever.
I felt the same with The Godfather.... he says as he prepares for the flaming.
dreamrock wrote: Red Dwarf (through season 4 at least)
Best TV series ever. I still have the VHS cassette (ask your parents, kids) of the first ever series on BBC2 when I was a kid. They even advertise and upcoming football match between England and the USSR (kids, parents).

themorg

Post by themorg » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:55 pm

Mikes wrote:I felt the same with The Godfather.... he says as he prepares for the flaming.
i totally felt the same watching the Godfather. They influenced almost every single mob movie and fiction done after 1973 but i still hated watching it. Wheat influences bread but i am still allowed to hate wheat fields.
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

themorg

Post by themorg » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:29 pm

themorg wrote:
Mikes wrote:I felt the same with The Godfather.... he says as he prepares for the flaming.
i totally felt the same watching the Godfather. They influenced almost every single mob movie and fiction done after 1973 but i still hated watching it. Wheat influences bread but i am still allowed to hate wheat fields.
on another note
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... n-his-home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:51 pm

Nightbringer by Graham McNeill

Nightbringer is a novel set in the Warhammer 40,000 IP universe and the first novel I've read in that ilk. I've been pointed in direction of Dan Abnett's work who's done many a book in WH40k, but right noe Black Library has 4 free ebooks for download from their website so I thought I'd try those, and this was the first one I picked up.

The novel 'gets' he feel of the IP very well, although not perhaps well enough for someone with no idea of the IP to just pick up and enjoy. Just really enough to give a reader the flavour.

The story's good enough, although for my money it sacrificed plot speed for feel, but it was a page turner, and well worth the asking rpice of 'free'.

I'd give it 2/3

Icestation, by Matthew Reiily

I won a load of Reilly's books and really knew nothing about him until I picked this one up.

The first thing that struck me was the quality of writing. It's actually pretty bad. It breaks every 'rule' of prose, the guy knows where his exclamation mark key is and is overly fond of italics for really hammering a point home. And belief has to eb really, really suspended if you're to believe the main character shouldn't really be dead 15 times over as the story really hangs on a series of quite ridiculous coincidences that keep him alive.

And yet.... I couldn't stop turning the page. Reilly sticks with the 'either have someone killed, or nearly killed every two pages and up the ante every paragraph' approach to sory telling. The result is a car crash book where you just can't stop watching.

It was pure popcorn literature. It left me happy, but not satisfied. I'll read the other books of his I won, but I very much doubt I'll re read any of them.

Oh, and someone should really tell him to sack his jacket photographer. The pic makes him look like Chandler Bing.

2/3

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:57 am

Arrested Development (entire 3 seasons)

Arrested Development is a show based on a very dysfunctional family. The title is a reference to the psychological concept. None of the characters have met the characteristics of adults yet. Of course, this includes two teenagers. They have an excuse.

The second-oldest son, Michael Bluth, is trying to keep the family together after the father is arrested for crimes he almost certainly did commit.

The show is silly, hilarious, two jokes deep at every moment, and filled with uncomfortable awkwardness from the characters.

Like I usually say, watch the first two episodes. If you don't like it, don't bother with the rest. It's all on Netflix Streaming at the moment. I mainlined seasons 2 and 3 after watching season 1 on DVD.

I loved the show to pieces. I think it's some of the best television made in the last decade.

Dreamrock's Score: 99/100
Guess for others: 25/100. My test audience had one person who loved it as much as I did, and three people who hated it. Considering you're all weirdos like me and my test audience member who liked it, I might need to boost the guess to 50/100.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:36 am

The Walking Dead - I'm sure y'all have heard. Just in case though - it's bitchen.'
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:48 am

I'm still waiting for the first comic to turn up :( I ordered it a month and half ago but it got lost over the Pacific somewhere and I ahve to wait for Bookdepository to re mail it

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:57 am

Mikes wrote:I'm still waiting for the first comic to turn up :( I ordered it a month and half ago but it got lost over the Pacific somewhere and I ahve to wait for Bookdepository to re mail it
I wouldn't say it is required reading to enjoy the AMC series, if you're holding back. I've read the first 5 volumes, and in a way it is distracting. As they're moving along, I notice lots of plot points and characters distinct to the TV version that I then become hyper-critical of, and it pulls me out. It may be a better experience completely vanilla.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

themorg

Post by themorg » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:29 am

dreamrock wrote:Arrested Development (entire 3 seasons)
for those who want a little of Arrested Development back you can catch up with JOB Bluths new persona in Running Wilde
i give Arrested Development 99/99
i give Running Wilde 96/100

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Wilde" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:16 am

themorg wrote:
dreamrock wrote:Arrested Development (entire 3 seasons)
for those who want a little of Arrested Development back you can catch up with JOB Bluths new persona in Running Wilde
i give Arrested Development 99/99
i give Running Wilde 96/100

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Wilde" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also, Better Off Ted. There's only two seasons of it and it's an awful lot like Arrested Development with scientists working for a big evil company. Also, there's Portia de Rossi in it.

All of it is on Netflix Streaming.

90/100

themorg

Post by themorg » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:20 am

dreamrock wrote:Also, Better Off Ted. There's only two seasons of it and it's an awful lot like Arrested Development with scientists working for a big evil company. Also, there's Portia de Rossi in it.

All of it is on Netflix Streaming.

90/100
without de Rossi the show would really be missing something. i agree with 90/100

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:45 am

Horus Rising by Dan Abnett

Wow.

Simply wow.

Once in a blue moon you pick up a book which blows you sideways, firmly uprooting your standards in what you thought was a good book and replants them further up the hill.

That’s what Horus Rising just did for me.

And one more time: wow.

‘Horus Rising’ is the first book in what looks like a long series detailing Games Workshop’s Warhammer 40,000 IP and the most famous moment in it. I’m a fan of WH40K, and have been for a long time, so I know exactly what’s coming in the story. I think perhaps that actually added to my enjoyment of the story as Abnett weaved a tale with characters which leapt from the page, and did so in such a manner that I could almost forget the tragedy I knew was on the way.

The universe was brought to life in full colour, using just the barest brush strokes, and populated with real people, their fears and their desires. Even though most of the characters live 30,000 years in mankind’s future and are human only in their genetic history Abnett lets us know and understand them without once letting us forget they aren’t human. Not really, and all the emotional ties that both severs and opens to them.

And once again, wow.

The only down point to the book? The series was written by a handful of writers and from the reviews on Amazon the next two books, not Abnett’s, don’t live up to the standard of the first. But even knowing that there’s no way in hell I’m not going to read them.

A resounding 5/5

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:57 am

Puzzlehead

A very odd little movie I found on Netflix streaming thanks to all the other weird stuff I watch.

It's a story about an android. The android was given a scattershot of the memories and personality of his creator. When the android attracts the advances of a young woman and the creator finds out about it, everything goes to s***.

The movie is intentionally slow-moving. It's all about the characters and character development of the protagonist.

A few warnings:
Spoiler:
The movie has a surprising amount of violence. Most of it happens to the android, but the android also commits several acts of violence including slapping the woman. The woman attempts suicide once.

Probably most importantly, the movie includes the prelude to a scene which, if it had been depicted, would have been two types of rape all in one. The woman says no repeatedly which is the more obvious type of rape, but she also thinks he is someone else because the raper mislead her.
Dreamrock's score: 70/100
Guess for others: 50/100

Tron: Legacy

I saw the original Tron for the first time earlier this year. Held up pretty well. Also, it had Bruce Boxleitner in it and after loving four of the seasons of Babylon 5, I have a thing for Bruce. It was kind of weird seeing him and The Dude that young.

Anyway, I went to Legacy with Tron fairly fresh in my memory. I also saw it in IMAX 3D. This is the only movie I will ever say this for so savor what I'm about to say. :lol: Legacy is totally worth IMAX 3D.

Legacy lived up to all my hopes. I was worried pretty early on that it was going to be the sort of cliché Tony Stark is an egomaniac young guy who has to learn to care about other people thing the first few scenes make it look like it'll be. Fortunately, the movie never let preaching get in the way of story.

Most movies that take place in a computer have a hard time making the stakes feel real. The Matrix accomplished this by having people who die in the computer die in real life. Legacy manages to make us care enough about even the programs to feel bad when they die.

It gets a little slow in the beginning of the third act, but it's not a big deal on the whole.

I loved it. My test audience loved it (except R. who didn't come so we don't know how she felt about it).

Dreamrock's score: 95/100
Guess for others: 80/100

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:31 am

Yesterday Was A Lie

Billed as a neo-noir flick. It's interesting seeing a "blond dame" play the Bogart character, but doesn't take the image far enough for it to be interesting. The existential rambling is ultimately vapid, but might be more meaningful to someone familiar with T.S. Eliot's Prufrock. Probably not though.

If you want something pretty to look at in black and white, go for it. It's not really worth the effort otherwise.

Dreamrock's score: 15/100
Guess for others: 20/100

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:51 am

Been taking in a lot of media in the last couple months, a healthy portion of which has been quite good. So I figured I'd pop back on the blog and dump this review load off.

All scores out of 5.

-- --

Tron: Legacy

It has been a decade since I popped in the original - and that meant little to my ultimate enjoyment of this sequel, which works fine as a stand-alone (so go see it neophytes). It is so nice to visit a world unique to itself, that doesn't immediately remind of some other, better known property (EG 'it's like Lawrence of Arabia in space, or a teenage version of the Frankenstein story'). Lots of strong visuals, and a killer score (Daft Punk, I missed you so). Really impressive presentation in general. It is a bit sparse and impersonal, so it isn't for everyone. But you know, sometimes 'not being for everyone' is a movie's saving grace. Did I miss the streetwise, fast-talking sidekick? The reference making slacker teen? The hilariously loony matriarch? Nope.

-- --

Black Swan {Movie}

You got your Cronenberg body horror in my Aronofsky character study. Ok, that was phrasing was unnecessary. Black Swan is a good movie that is tough to watch, AKA a Darren Aronofsky movie. A great performance supplied by Natalie Portman. As an arch-hater of Garden State and the Star Wars prequel trilogy I love slamming her acting ability, but this outting gives me no other option but praise. It is about ballet, and if the prospect of that is scaring you off, you may be best to stay away.

-- --

Splice {Movie}

It took a while to wait out the home release of this Drabble summer favorite, but it was well worth the patience. A lot of interesting questions and tricky scenarios. The science is past silly, but completely forgivable by virtue of the entertainment supplied. A good pace, memorable scenes, and some nice scary bits. It has my stamp of approval.

-- --

Tangled {Movie}

Very much a Disney movie. I know it is trite to say, but that isn't always a bad thing. I was transported to the Alladin, Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast heyday (maybe a bit too closely so in a couple instances, but I won't get in to spoilers). Tangled has more life to it than The Frog Princess (which I found stunted by an oppreseive reverance to its lineage)It is well crafted and quite pretty. Disney Animation still has a ways to go before it will catch Pixar, Dreamworks, and the other studioes that leapfrogged it amidst the technology shift, but this is a way better foot forward in the catch-up race than Bolt, Chicken Little, Tinkerbell's Who Gives a Shit Adventure etc.

-- --

Faster {Movie}

I like the Rock, I want to see him make it as an action star, but he has yet to secure a top shelf genre picture. Revenge movies are easy to over-think, Faster wisely holds to relative simplicity, yet fails to impress in any category. No great action sequences, zero originality, poor dialog, and a tendency to straddle the line make for a whole lot of 'meh.' Maybe next time Dwayne (just have to wait through 2 more sports movies, 3 family friendly movies, 4 animated features, another 'unexpected' comedic turn, and whatever the crap else for, oh say 4 years... wait, why do I like this guy?).

-- --

Drive Angry {Movie}

Full disclosure: I enjoy Nic Cage. With caveats of course. I enjoy him as an over the top human spectacle, not in serious roles (anymore), and never in a movie I actually want to be good. I will theater prices for the sake of witnessing another truly atrocious, laughable effort from the Cage man. Hence my willingness to participate in an advanced screening of Drive Angry 3D. Here though, I didn't pay: I was given a free movie ticket just for sitting through it.

As a pulpy, low brow, stupid, trashy, crude, infantile (I can keep going) movie, Drive Angry works. It understands its purpose, never gets serious, and never respects itself (Nic escapes hell in a muscle car). I always appreciate that take especially in a world where Resident Evil 3 and Paranormal Activity go reel to reel with no winks, nods, or self deprecation of any sort. It's dirty fun. Visualize The Prophecy crossed with Crank 2. I can grock that sort of vibe, but it does takes a certain type. So, If you can dig a movie so bad it comes back around again, try it out. If you expect quality and substance... you're dumb for even considering a Cage film.

-- --

Dexter: Season 5 {TV}

Not Dexter's worse season, but one completely lacking the hope restoring bravado of season 4. Features a lot of lazy TV logic, and a general lack of follow through. Additionally, rather than an alien, unnerving anti-hero, Dexter is flatly presented as an empathic, sensitive, hero-hero. Granted, this transition has been lead up to over the last few seasons, but the jump here is jarring, and it's nakedly obvious how 'meant to please' this once antithetical character is portrayed. The season's first third almost lost me completely, but it took on some weight heading in to the finale (which leaves enough pertinent questions that I'm game for season 6). It could have used a strong rival to Dexter, not solely a strong companion, but that might just be the season 4 letdown talking again.

-- --

Boardwalk Empire: Season 1 {TV}

I have a complete love-on for this series, a period crime drama starring Steve Buscemi and larger cast of solid character actors. It has all the appeal of a Scorcese mobster movie, but isn't confined to 2.5 hours, sprawling on and growing more epic for doing so. Season 1 starts a bit slow, and actually peaks in episode 11, rather than its conclusion, but is never a disappointment.

-- --

The Walking Dead: Season 1 {TV}

If there is a shred of love for the zombie trope anywhere inside of you, you will love the Walking Dead. Hell, there is a good chance you may love it without one. A well realized version of a well wrought comic. Season 1, at 6 episodes, was way too short (the network's blunder, not the creators'). I will be there with bells on for season 2. Here's hoping that the pilot (the clear high point of season 1) typifies the production quality of every episode next season.

-- --

Parks and Recreation: Season 1 {TV}

Crap. Boring crap. A whole bunch of Amy Poehler as Lesley Knope being quirky, but not in the endearing way. Almost turned me off the series completely, but luckily it was a scant 6 episodes, and then..

Parks and Recreation: Season 2 {TV}

Season 2 came and blew the doors off. A series that once struck me as a poor man's The Office I now regard as The Office if it were still funny (ok that's overly catty - The Office if it was still as funny as it used to be). Chris Pratt, Nick Offerman, and Aziz Ansari are all sitcom blue-chippers. Amy Poehler continues as the abrasively precocious protagonist, but you could strike a tuning fork to the pitch perfect supporting cast, and the whole thing swims along. The promise of Adam Scott in season 3 is the cherry on top of the pile of other cherries.

-- --

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World {comics}

I really enjoyed the movie, and the comic series, comprised of 6 graphic novel volumes, was that in an extended form. Side characters are expanded upon, compressed sub-plots blossom, and numerous story beats suddenly make far more sense ("he has a way of getting in my head"). The bittersweet depictions of complex yet immature relationships made me feel young again. Not that I'm old. Shut up, you're old!

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game {Game}

Good, tight soundtrack, lots of easter eggs and fan touches, and the 16 bit take on the comic's aesthetic is perfect, all considered. Despite this the overall result is lacking. It's a brawler, it's repetitive and is over quickly. Sure, you level, and can upgrade your character, unlock some tid-bits, but there is no dire need to do so. It saddens me that this is likely the only game this property will ever spawn, because a bit more oomph thrown in to the mix and this could have been something truly special.

-- --

Super Meat Boy {Game}

The devil made this game. He made it to taunt living gamers and extract their tears. You want to put it down, but once you get on a roll, it is almost impossible to do so. Features a likable, warped sense of humor, unique level designs, and all the distilled cruelty of 8 bit era learning curves.

-- --

Freakanomics {Book}

I know, I actually read a book for once! As someone who listens to several short stories each week, and clicks through a million web sites, it's embarrassing how seldom I turn a page. So here, I finished a best seller and am only a half decade behind. Twas perfect for a day of cross-country air travel, I was done almost to the minute I landed on the east coast. A fine assemblage of random factoids and examinations of concepts that strike the reader as forbidden knowledge, yet have been hiding in plain sight for all this time. I pray the looming paperback version of the sequel is ready for my return trip in January.

-- --

Jukebox the Ghost - Everything Under the Sun {Album}

And to make sure I hit every concievable form of media in this reviews list, a fantastic rock album that no one has heard. Jukebox the Ghost's sophomore release has a sound comparable to Harvey Danger, Ben Folds Five, CAKE, or any of the college rock / alternative greats of the 90's. Sadly, it is orphaned by (and seemingly overlooked because of) a decade of chronological separation. Happy music that makes me unabashedly happy (even when it is about masturbation, depression and or schizophrenia - keep your ears on those lyrics). Great for those who like Tally Hall. And if you don't know them either, uh, check out Tally Hall.

themorg

Post by themorg » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:58 am

my new job...

City liquidators in Portland, OR. 160,000 square feet of a Walmart, K-mart and a Dollorstore with merchandice from the 70's 80's and now mutant hybrid mated with a dirty going out of business (now homeless) furniture store that crammed to much into the showroom floor situated by 2 different roaving homeless camps of no less than 20 homeless in either camp. That is what it is like other than (with all joking aside) stroke victims get so mixed up shopping they feel normal for a little while. no kidding i have worked there 2 weeks and no fewer than 3 stroke victims literally walk around the store until their loved ones come in and pick them up and tell me that it gives them some stability just letting them look around for an hour.

I have also 11 different bosses that literally use a CB system to tell me what i am doing wrong from watching me on CCTV cameras. it is 2 days a week of the strangest working environment ever for a person who has had more than 100 part time jobs.

9.6 out of 10

PS i have seriously started writing a book set in this store and that is what i have done with all the meaningful time between shifts. i have almost 6000 words (edited once) about a setting similarly fashioned in Fyodor Dostoevskys "An Honest Thief" "Notes from the underground" and elements of a farcical legal system of "The Trial" by Kafka. really it is writing itself so much that i have missed all drabblecast things i do not know what is going on in the forums or on the podcast. do not worry you will all start getting samples on here in the coming months.