The Drabblecast Information Reclamation Project

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
StalinSays
Beast-Master

The Drabblecast Information Reclamation Project

Postby StalinSays » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:12 am

I figure I'll let the segment Norm read on episode 211 do most of the introduction for me:

"Many of you folks out there might have picked up on all the rejuvenating that's been'a' happening around Drabble'land. It's true, we have a groundswell of new listeners, new editors, and the topper: we're at work on a spiffy new web site - a vessel worthy of communicating our might and glory. Fans are lending a tentacle. As we speak, artistically inclined drabblecast listeners are DARP'ing out new, illustrated covers for more than half the episodes in our back catalog. But it doesn't end there. Starting now, we're kicking off the DARP's sister initiative, the DRIP, AKA the Drabblecast Reclamation of Information Project.

It goes like this - google can't listen to our episodes, and has no idea how awesome we are. So we at the Drabblecast our asking our adept amateur writing core to help present offerings to the deaf mute lord of the internet. We've separated out 12 episodes allotments from our full catalog that will be surmised and categorized by volunteers. Visit bokaier.com/drip to learn the details and download the DRIP doc. Email us, and get involved, we'd really appreciate it."

That request was needful and sincere. Anyone who has a few extra moments in their busy life to lend to the Drabblecast, please do. Visit bokaier.com/drip. If you've never been able to donate, donate your time. Sign up for a chunk!
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

alhilton

Re: The Drabblecast Information Reclamation Project

Postby alhilton » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:36 am

I listened to Norm deliver this speech and said, "Huh?" Now I've read it in text, gone to Bo's site and seen him talk about it, and I still have no idea what you're asking people to do. I suspect I'm not the only one who's confused.

Exactly what task are you delegating here? What are people supposed to do with these old episodes? My best guess is that you want them transposed and posted with the story so that the text is searchable by Google, making it easier for interested parties to find the stories. But that doesn't make sense. You surely have access to the text of these stories already and could find it a lot quicker than some poor listener trying to transpose the episode into text by hand.

So, I give up. What are people actually volunteering to do?

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:34 am

Eye-burstingly long, and exquisitely detailed is the DRIP Doc. If you can't surmise the DRIP's goal from that tome, then I am unable to wield the English language. (which is possible)

To be as succinct as possible, and hopefully more clear than my previous efforts:

It isn't the text from drabblecast stories we're after, or transcripts of the episodes, it is short, clearly written, plain English descriptions.

"Drabblecast episode number this, Norm talks about this. Sings a song or jokes about pig brains or whatever else. The theme of the episode is (blank). The drabble is called this, by this author, and it is about this. The main story is called this, it is written by this author, it's about this. This drabblecast event is mentioned on episode. There is a twabble, it is this."

12 paragraphs of just that nature. Along with labels that you designate. Hopefully mindful of keywords (IE you write 'podcast' and 'story' and 'drabblecast' a lot).

When you e-Mail us, and ask to participate in the DRIP, you agree to write-up a 12 episodes. "Chunks" as I call them.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:42 am

We have full text of all drabblecast stories, make no mistake. We don't want to use that on the site. And neither does google.

The beating heart of the new drabblecast.org is a refined database. Norm kept episode notes, and Tom's archive collected those notes, but we need more. We need write-ups. It seems small, but it would be an invaluable step forward. And if I write up all 228 myself, I will die sitting upright in this chair.

The DRIP doc has 4 sample write-ups. I'll try and augment that by finishing the 12 episode chunk I've signed up for on bokaier.com/drip/. Maybe that Microsoft word file of specific samples will be more helpful to people than the dry, didactic writing of the DRIP doc PDF.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:15 pm

Right now, google has an extremely limited view of the Drabblecast. All it has to work with is opening text Norm posts along the episode. This doesn't help google searches, since that's not what the story is about. Summaries, like the samples Bo has provided, are the best path towards reaching google relevancy.

We know there are lots here folks supremely qualified to help make the Drabblecast the top-ranked sight we want it to be. DRIP is a key part of that. Hop on over to http://bokaier.com/drip/
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

alhilton

Postby alhilton » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:48 pm

StalinSays wrote: it is short, clearly written, plain English descriptions.

This. Now I understand.

You need short descriptions, AKA a synopsis, of each episode. This will be searchable by Google. That wasn't so hard, was it? :D

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:59 pm

alhilton wrote:
StalinSays wrote: it is short, clearly written, plain English descriptions.

This. Now I understand.

You need short descriptions, AKA a synopsis, of each episode. This will be searchable by Google. That wasn't so hard, was it? :D

Ahh, now I get it too. :D
Hey don't look at me, I just work here.
"Give us all some Jelly"

alhilton

Postby alhilton » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:39 am

normsherman wrote:Ahh, now I get it too. :D

heheh. Maybe I was the only one. I don't usually have trouble following things you say on the show, but I remember hearing this and thinking, "I'm pretty sure he's speaking English, but I have no idea what he just said."

Really, though, could just be me. Too much sevoflurane.

Unblinking

Postby Unblinking » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:23 pm

alhilton wrote:
normsherman wrote:Ahh, now I get it too. :D

heheh. Maybe I was the only one. I don't usually have trouble following things you say on the show, but I remember hearing this and thinking, "I'm pretty sure he's speaking English, but I have no idea what he just said."

Really, though, could just be me. Too much sevoflurane.

You weren't the only one. I was a bit confused too. I was guessing story synopses, but I was wrong even in that (sounds like it's the whole episodes that are being summarized including Norm's content between the fiction, etc...)

cdugger

Postby cdugger » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:46 am

Got my chunk!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:38 pm

We now have a brave quartet of DRIP'pers, a tidbit of momentum that I truly appreciate. Still recruiting - c'mon y'all, check out some of these 'new to you' back catalog episodes before they're gone.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:35 pm

Blech. I deleted myself by mistake. Back now. Sorry for the confusion. Some things going on behind the scenes with the forums. Hopefully they'll be 'de-crapified' real soon.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:23 pm

StalinSays wrote:Blech. I deleted myself by mistake. Back now. Sorry for the confusion. Some things going on behind the scenes with the forums. Hopefully they'll be 'de-crapified' real soon.

Oh, that's classic!

Welcome the the forums, StalinSays!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:33 am

Well guys, good news! The new website is coming along well. But while sorting through all the old episodes, it truly exposes the little information we have to go with these old classics.

Which is where the DRIP comes into play! We really need your help bringing the episode entries up to date. Bo has laid out a great PDF showing how to format the information, and what we're looking for. Just go to the website at the top of this topic, and click on the PDF in the upper-right corner.

This is your chance to help us out in a big way, and make the new website the greatest little podcast in all Texas!

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:23 am

Might I humbly suggest that more of us could commit if we could do it for 1 or 2 episodes at a time. (Heaven forbid a wiki :) )

Eight-plus hours of listening with probably 8 to 16 hours of writeup is a daunting first step. Especially since some of us normally listen away from our computers (and also with our hands busy... er, doing.... stuff).

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:51 am

Bo, whaddya think?

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:15 am

It's more ass pain'y for me to keep track of - would rather sort through twenty emails versus one hundred and twenty. That isn't too say I would flatly reject piecemeal emails, if someone has only say a train ride's worth of volunteer time. Go to the site, check what areas remain unclaimed, make with the effort, mail me your DRIP'ings. If someone claims that chunk, I'll inform them it has been nibbled at. No ruffled feathers.

PS: It's not official, but we are mulling over an official Drabblecast knick-knack to reward participants.

Wiki creation is not a part of the rep'Bo'toire. If some other individual wishes to originate a collaborative tool of that order, it will be welcomed openly.

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:02 am

yep. in the long run, all who write will be recognized too on the site, at least in a small way. We'd rather get bigger chunks filled in now, when it comes down to handfulls, splitting up smaller will make more sense.
"Give us all some Jelly"

cdugger

Postby cdugger » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:28 pm

Don't let the "8 hours" thing get to you. One a day for a couple weeks is normal (we all listen to podcasts anyway, right?), and it's 5 minutes of writing for each episode.

I did a chunk ad may do another. And if I can get MY lazy, fata$$ to do it I know people with actual talent can.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:55 pm

Thanks, Clay. Your contribution will really make the new site shine.

Return to “Podcasts and suchforth”