Parsec Award... again...

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
tbaker2500
Site Admin

Parsec Award... again...

Postby tbaker2500 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:28 am

This seems to be getting boring around here, but it seems the Drabblecast has gotten another Parsec award.

Best Speculative Fiction Magazine or Anthology Podcast
Podcasts that regularly present short stories from different authors containing elements of science fiction, fantasy or horror

Drabblecast

Finalists:
Dark Fiction Magazine [subscribe]
The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine [subscribe]
Escape Pod [subscribe]
Flash Pulp [subscribe]

http://www.parsecawards.com/2011-parsec-awards/2011-parsec-awards-winners-finalists/

I guess congratulations are in order.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

scottjpigg

Re: Parsec Award... again...

Postby scottjpigg » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:37 am

Balls! I wanted Dunesteef to win! But if they had to be beaten by anyone else I would have it be the Drabblecast. Congratulations!!! Of all the anthologies I listen to, Drabblecast and The Dunesteef are my two favorites.

On a side personal note I was able to accept the award for HG World! I am the SFX/foley producer on that show. We won Best Audio Drama long form. Of course I immediately tried to trade the award for a beer at the bar. The bartender just laughed at me and then broke the award. I see lots of glue in my near future.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:34 pm

Told y'all. Dynasty!
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

shagin

Postby shagin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:14 am

Not boring at all! Congratulations are definitely in order! And another order of squiggly things all around.

Sandra M. Odell

Mikes

Postby Mikes » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:37 am

Congratulations guys. Well deserved.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

alhilton

Postby alhilton » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:28 am

Yep, Norm has a set of matching book-ends (or he will when I hand it over...if I hand it over. 8) .

Of course, he needed a set! One book-end? Lame.

jannypie

Postby jannypie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:41 pm

Ho hum.

Just kidding. Super happy for the Dc crew again this year!
----
Reality is stranger than fiction... except on The Drabblecast.

jannypie

Postby jannypie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:00 pm

I took a picture of Mama Ninfas in honor of past Drabblecast meetups

----
Reality is stranger than fiction... except on The Drabblecast.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:02 pm

alhilton wrote:Yep, Norm has a set of matching book-ends (or he will when I hand it over...if I hand it over. 8) .

Of course, he needed a set! One book-end? Lame.

Hmm... I thinking of things you'd make him do before you hand it over.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

munsi

Postby munsi » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:21 pm

wild congratulations, what a great 'cast to win it :D

Farseeker

Postby Farseeker » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Well deserved. Overall, Drabblecast is the most consistently good speculative fiction podcast that I've found, at least since Steve Eley left Escape Pod.

Norm, we love ya. Just speak, and we comply. (Credit to JC Hutchins)
I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:42 am

Thanks all for the Congrats! (or 'Drats!' in the case of scottjpigg)

It really is a crapload of work to keep something like this podcast going, and I think it's great that there is an award out there to recognize something like a "Podcast Fiction Magazine"... it really adds fuel-to-the-fire and legitimacy to all of the nominees, finalists and winners alike.

If one feels inclined, one of the best things you can do (if you appreciate new media) is to donate to the Parsecs to help them keep making this award a bigger deal. Think about it, the Parsec Awards might very well be the Hugo Awards of 2025 if the lanes change that way in the future. Here's how you can put wind in the sails of this wonderful award:

....Ok, I couldn't find a way to donate. wow. There used to be one on their website. Anyways, if anyone finds it, let me know and I'll edit it into this post. Sucks for them.

So, I'm not the only one who made sacrifices this past year. Although, it did cost me at least one girlfriend. But pods before bods, as they say...

Matthew Bey deserves a big shout out for helping make this possible. He snagged us many stories we otherwise wouldn't have had, worked with authors on revisions, and played a crucial role in negotiating the Last Question for episode 200, amongst many other things. I love this guy. Matthew Bey is a frikkin genius and I'll carry that statement to the grave.

Speaking of geniuses... Bo Kaier.... easily #2 when it comes to overall thanks. Totally revamped our whole art scene this past year... This guy has talent and a work ethic that we all could and should be envious of. If you're reading this right now and you're saying to yourself, well damn, my company is looking to hire a solid graphic artist for 100K a year, this Bo douchebag sounds like our kinda guy! He is you're kinda guy, and F%#* you for taking him from us! Bo's a pro. He's just a sheep-pig, so he hasn't been taken into the fold quite yet.

Thirdly, our Slush Spankerz this past year. There are reasons beyond my laziness that I won't go through to give you stories that we featured on the cast that started with their discernment in the slush pile, (just take my lazy word for it.) A major reason we won this award and brought you exceptional fiction each week to week in 2010/2011 is completely because of:

Phenopath/ Graeme
strawman/ Dave Carvin
AynSavaoy/Ayn Sauer
dreamrock/JE McNeil
Jajesticvantrashelloflob/Jake Webb
ROUKillingtime/Steve Lidster

There are definitely many many stories that we produced-- that you would never had heard-- had it not been for them.

That covers it for the day-to-day, although, let me say, there are a few heavy-hitting DONORS that kept this thing going when things were bleak. Let me tell you, it's one thing to spend absorbent amounts of time on something that you aren't getting paid for... it's another thing to have to pay a lot to do so!
There are a few folks that have made several big key donations-- effectively saving the podcast-- that will be recognize in Bbardle form in the the future. You know who you are, probably...

Sincerely, Thank you.

Alright, that about covers it! Big changes coming to you soon as far as website, we're going to have a lot coming at you from a social networking perspective. But the awesome stories produced awesomely will stay the same.

Thanks everyone for being such an awesome community of Weirdness (yes, I capitalized that junk!)
Norm
"Give us all some Jelly"

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:51 am

Thanks Norm. I bleed Drabble green. Which is a terrible sign, as far as my health is concerned.

Hire me, yes folks, h h i i r r e e m m e e. Shelter me from the next unemployment assistance email template and dog spa teaser site! Let me art it up full-time! I'll be ever so good, I will..

While we're thanks-slinging - can't forget Tom Baker, he has been extra saintly as of late! Oh, and all of our artists, including our yet unheralded DARP'ers - thanks guys and gals for pushing our production quality over the top with your might visual accomplishments!
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

bell

Postby bell » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:05 pm

Big ups, you guys!

Ultimately, a podcast may involve a whole bunch of people in key capacities, who all deserve a big hand, but all the really successful ones have a personality that is basically a construct of one single person - and the Drabblecast is Norm's alter ego. Even when I fastforward past the Nandi-Bear to get to the good stuff, I have to ease off the FF every once in a while to chuckle at a sentence or two. I can see where the people would wait for the Nandi-Bear especially. Weird people. Which really is the point, isn't it?

Keep on!
http://www.apoGrypha.blogspot.com

What would have been written.

Spoiler:
If they hadn't died first.

Return to “Podcasts and suchforth”