Feed update

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
tbaker2500
Site Admin

Feed update

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:02 am

Well, the long move of servers is about to come to a close. While we valiantly held the feed at thedrabblecast.org until the new site had legs, that time is up. I am now in the process of bringing all podcast feeds back to the new drabblecast.org. The MP3 feed should be showing Ep 219 within the next hour, and the M4A feed later tonight.
What does this mean to you? Well, you will get double episodes in your feed again. Sorry, don't have any control over that. At the moment, only 3 episodes are in the feed to keep the traffic manageable. However, I'll be expanding that back out to 10-15 back episodes in the coming days. If you see duplicate episodes in your feed, that's why. The good news, is that's the final move! Yay!

Thanks for your patience while the dust settles! If by Tuesday you do not see 219 in your feed, please goto drabblecast.org and use the subscribe links there to update your podcatcher.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Praxis

Re: Feed update

Post by Praxis » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:21 pm

I can concur (I'm using the Juice podcatcher), since it still had the old feed (feeds.feedburner.com/DrabblecastMp3) it wouldn't pick up anything newer than last week's Orange episode.
I only realised there was a new episode from seeing it on the new, spangly, 2011, updated website.

Juice needs the new, spangly, 2011, updated feed (drabblecast.org/feed/podcast) added.

Alternatively, there is the potential for a break-away Amish-like sect of Drabble listeners who stick with the original feed and refuse to accept the any progress exists beyond Episode 218.......
"What are bones?"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:36 am

Hahaha! Amish drabblecasters, I love it!
Thanks for the info. Now that the new URL is mostly updated, I'll put in the permanent redirects from the old site. It should catch people like you.

cinnamon

Post by cinnamon » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:44 am

I love you, tbaker.

In a totally platonic, "thanks for doing a bunch of cool work for a podcast I like" kind of way, of course.
Mush, Baby!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:21 am

cinnamon wrote:I love you, tbaker.

In a totally platonic, "thanks for doing a bunch of cool work for a podcast I like" kind of way, of course.
Hey, thanks, I'll take it. After a week of hard work + the website, I see an email about the feed and I worry that another person can't get it. But Lo, a Compliment! :D

You should see the load Bo is crawling through right now. Make it a three-way.

cinnamon

Post by cinnamon » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:28 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
You should see the load Bo is crawling through right now. Make it a three-way.
Hey, now, sassy-pants.

Ah, what the heck, make it an all-way. I love you all.
Mush, Baby!

Praxis

Post by Praxis » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:28 pm

I had a thought:

Would it be possible for there to be a 'final' episode put out on the old feed with a short message along the lines of "This is the final episode being Drabbled on this feed, as part of the site upgrade our feed has changed. If you enter [new feed url], you'll get all new episodes from now on...." ?

Like I said, I only knew for sure that there was a new episode from checking the website, and I only realised that there had been a change to the feed address from seeing this thread. I'm guessing that at least some folks don't use the forums and so wouldn't realise the feed has changed.
"What are bones?"

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:05 pm

Praxis wrote:I had a thought:

Would it be possible for there to be a 'final' episode put out on the old feed with a short message along the lines of "This is the final episode being Drabbled on this feed, as part of the site upgrade our feed has changed. If you enter [new feed url], you'll get all new episodes from now on...." ?

Like I said, I only knew for sure that there was a new episode from checking the website, and I only realised that there had been a change to the feed address from seeing this thread. I'm guessing that at least some folks don't use the forums and so wouldn't realise the feed has changed.
We were hoping to make the changeover completely invisible to listeners; you not realizing was the desired result (why as a fan be burdened with hosting / technical stuff?). That said, a person not realizing there was a change, but then never getting the new episodes, is highly undesirable. The 'reminder sode' idea Praxis is forwarding here seems really practical. Tom, is that something we can do?
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:27 pm

So the DRIP and DARP aren't over, we still need volunteers, but they are now scooting backwards from the absolute forefront of Drabble'land. I therefore removed those topics' global status. DARP info is now in DrabbleArt. DRIP info is in Podcasts and Suchforth.

Also in Podcasts and Suchforth is a Drabblecast.org sticky topic. Any thoughts you have on the interface, content, and functionality of the new site, please share them there.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:38 pm

StalinSays wrote:We were hoping to make the changeover completely invisible to listeners; you not realizing was the desired result (why as a fan be burdened with hosting / technical stuff?). That said, a person not realizing there was a change, but then never getting the new episodes, is highly undesirable. The 'reminder sode' idea Praxis is forwarding here seems really practical. Tom, is that something we can do?
That's what I emailed Norm to do, with an announcement in the next episode. Let's see if he reads it!

There is a little confusion regarding this last episode changeover; there was delay between when I published drabblecast.org and when I pushed thedrabblecast.org's and the old MobileMe feed over to the new drabblecast.org, since many people didn't have an updated copy of the new DNS records for drabblecast.org, it would have broken many subscriptions.

Let me put this another way- if you would have waited a few days 219 would have appeared in your feed regardless. :-) The same will be true up until Norm announces the changeover on the show.

j-m

Post by j-m » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:13 pm

You guys do an awesome job here, it is such a great Podcast! It was strange, i never got last weeks episode in the mp3 feed until Saturday night, and then i got both the tri-fecta and the halloween episode at the same time. I even tried to manually update the feed with no luck until a couple days ago. Anyway, all seems to be working now, i just wanted to give a little feedback if you were wanting any. (i use zune software btw).

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:49 pm

j-m wrote:You guys do an awesome job here, it is such a great Podcast! It was strange, i never got last weeks episode in the mp3 feed until Saturday night, and then i got both the tri-fecta and the halloween episode at the same time. I even tried to manually update the feed with no luck until a couple days ago. Anyway, all seems to be working now, i just wanted to give a little feedback if you were wanting any. (i use zune software btw).
Thanks j-m. It appears then that your software doesn't respect the command I was using to update feed URL's. Make sure Zune sees the feed as drabblecast.org, not web.me.com. I updated the old web.me.com feed manually last Saturday with the two new episodes, so that's what you were seeing.

Thanks!

themorg

Post by themorg » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:52 am

tbaker2500 wrote:It appears then that your software doesn't respect the command
This quote completely out of context is a great title i would love to use if i were to write a cyberpunk novel about you

Yttermayn

Post by Yttermayn » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:48 am

So, I'm new to RSS, and using Juice. The new "mp3" feed is showing the latest episodes as M4A, which I can't play. Here's the url I'm entering: "http://www.drabblecast.org/feed/podcast/". This is what I get from the mp3 link on the main page. If I click the link, I get a page full of gobbledygook with this at the top: This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
Please help?

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:14 am

Yttermayn wrote:So, I'm new to RSS, and using Juice. The new "mp3" feed is showing the latest episodes as M4A, which I can't play. Here's the url I'm entering: "http://www.drabblecast.org/feed/podcast/". This is what I get from the mp3 link on the main page. If I click the link, I get a page full of gobbledygook with this at the top: This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
Please help?
Okay, I've experimented in Juice. I was able to replicate the problem. If you ever subscribed to the M4A feed first, subsequent subscription to the MP3 feed will be messed up. Looking over the logs, Juice is assuming the new feed is the old feed, just moved. Which is a horrible thing to do. :-)
I've been trying to clean out the old records in Juice, to allow for a clean new subscription, but no luck yet. Anybody else have experience with this in Juice?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, but it seems like a failure on Juice's part. I know this is not the answer you're looking for, but I'd suggest finding another podcatcher, there are plenty out there, including iTunes.

Thanks!
Tom