The Drabblecast Primer (our 10 best episodes)

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: The Drabblecast Primer (our 10 best episodes)

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:02 am

Good.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

j-m

Post by j-m » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:14 am

Okay, i forgot about Ghosts and simulations. To me, this was everything sci-fi does best. It was like a great episode of the twilight zone, and really makes a point about how humanity can do things just because we can, even if we shouldn't.

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:04 pm

Two comments about the list: First, those few weeks from 146 to 150 were very good vintages. Second, what a strange mix! This list will be a great introduction to new listeners. Thanks for the memories. Good times.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:27 pm

The list looks great to me. A brilliant sampler of Drabblecast weirdness.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:03 pm

strawman wrote:Second, what a strange mix!
Does this not go without saying? I mean, coming up with a list and having it be strange around these parts is a foregone conclusion, isn't it?

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:58 pm

Well, indeed. That is what makes DC DC. Just sayin': But then some.

Although I don't dispute Bo's judgement that two clown stories is too many for the top 10, I sure hope new listeners will not miss The Last Great Clown Hunt. It was to Drabblecast what Lonesome Dove was to TV miniseries. The epic sweep of the classic lost innocence of the frontier, Robert Duval played by Buster Keaton. Plus the absolute political incorrectness of it gave it a touch of Springtime for Hitler.

I sure hope Chris Furst's agent is shopping the movie rights.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:26 pm

strawman wrote:Well, indeed. That is what makes DC DC. Just sayin': But then some.

Although I don't dispute Bo's judgement that two clown stories is too many for the top 10, I sure hope new listeners will not miss The Last Great Clown Hunt. It was to Drabblecast what Lonesome Dove was to TV miniseries. The epic sweep of the classic lost innocence of the frontier, Robert Duval played by Buster Keaton. Plus the absolute political incorrectness of it gave it a touch of Springtime for Hitler.

I sure hope Chris Furst's agent is shopping the movie rights.
Don't forget the awesome episode art.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:18 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Don't forget the awesome episode art.
That's like saying "Don't forget Sam Elliot".
One of the nice things about the website is the new staff page.

*Cue the travelogue music*
It's amazing to realize how much things have changed since Episode #1, as DCtown grew from a Population:4 rural crossroads to a county seat with its own Rotary Club, Hysterical Society, and the Cryptozoology Annex at Cafe Weird-a-Burger.

Yes, episode art and the town's trademark tentacle are the face of DC-town, in the same way the Rodent is to Disneyworld, except it costs people $100 just to stand in line there for a day. Way better is our themepark in room 19 at the Motel 6 : a pair of comfortable headphones, Drabblecast, and a tank of N2O.

And how about our little boat ride, with little golem zombies of every race and creed mindlessly singing
It's a town of laughter
A town of tears
It's a town of clowns
And brain-eating Nandi Bears
There's a virus we share
And it's time we're aware
It's a strange town after all.

Yes, "What Happens Here Doesn't Stay Here. Rather, It Infects Your Brain with a Parasitic Symbiote and Spreads as Inexorably as the Zombie Horde".

Catchy, no?

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:25 pm

Sherry's picks (or, no one seems to pick the weird stuff I like):

Angel of the Ordinary
(Nobody else? Really? Now I'mma gonna have a full blown temper tantrum.)
Sing
Pie hunters
Storm Comes A’ Callin’
Jelly Park
The Arc of Hronos
Hunt for the Mongolian Death Worm
Dr. Diablo Goes Through the Motions
Mongoose
Let Us Now Praise Awesome Dinosaurs

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:46 am

Ooh, I forgot about Angel. That was a good one.

themorg

Post by themorg » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:07 am

StalinSays wrote:The big picture idea, the goal with this is to make it simpler/easier to integrate new listeners - to present something immediate for an outsider to chew on. As democratic as it would be to include multiple lists (I liked what Tom did), it defeats the purpose of a primer. This is the first step from which a listener will "explore," not the exploration itself. Ya' feel me?'
So something that i missed when i was new was the MEGABEAST thing. i listened to all the normal episodes before mega beast 2 and after but i missed Megabeast because of working a lot right then.

Then when Megabeast 3 came along i was just starting here on the forums and missed the episodes again.

I only caught MEGABEAST 4 and barely understood it. I know i called many times on the hotline leaving strange messages involving things that had nothing at all to do with Megabeast but i still kind of do not understand it.

A primer on that would be cool.

themorg

Post by themorg » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:17 am

Drabblecast 170 171 – Mongoose : Part I & II

probably my favorite one ever

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:15 pm

themorg wrote:I only caught MEGABEAST 4 and barely understood it. I know i called many times on the hotline leaving strange messages involving things that had nothing at all to do with Megabeast but i still kind of do not understand it.

A primer on that would be cool.
Ha. That would suggest us trying to get people to listen to old episodes of the Beast-Cast, which would be folly. I like to think we start each season from scratch, and bury our word crimes far from view. This will be the case with season V, where the V label is next to the only means of discerning a legacy. Not a strategy for rapid expansion of listener-ship, but then, neither is taking pots shots at Sarah Palin's special needs progeny and spending half the time on air dwelling on dad banging.

Hopefully that arrives at the onset of 2012. The B in B is for Busy busy busy: got Norm's CD and the Tim Pratt episode cover and another Journey Into.. cover.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Djinndustries

Post by Djinndustries » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:05 pm

I'm glad to see that Creature got mentioned here. It didn't get much chatter in the forum. Barring the Tourette's crabs, I think this story was one of the best.

The Last Question is a great choice for an accessible classic story (the list doesn't have any classics).

Rangifer volans is brilliant for both a comedy and a holiday episode.

At the End of the Hall epitomized poignancy. I liked it better than Morris and the Machine because it had more weird. Mmmm...death robots.

Love in the Pneumatic Tube Era was romantic and sweet.

Doubleheader IV: Baker's Dozen and The Wrong Cart can do double duty as a doubleheader example and thoughtful.

The Distant Sound of Hammers ties with Year of the Rabbit for horror and foreboding.

I liked I-81 as a good example of early Drabblecast.

Intelligent Design I found to be more cute, but less weird than Jelly Park.

And...uh...maybe The Haunter of the Dark for Lovecraftian tentacle-y goodness.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:28 pm

yeh. So many good stories. I'm happy with this democratically elected (and not in the Putin sense) list. But the idea of re-opening the primer for an annual vote seems worthwhile. Remind me everyone next November, we'll revive the topic for sure!
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com