Star Trek

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
cammoblammo

Postby cammoblammo » Wed May 20, 2009 7:56 pm

I thought 'The Lord of the Rings' was dumbed down to make it popular. I mean, writng entirely new scenes in order to turn it into a love story whilst ripping out others to tone down the political sub-themes wasn't done to increase it's intellectual appeal.
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

Mr. Tweedy

Postby Mr. Tweedy » Wed May 20, 2009 8:05 pm

cammoblammo wrote:I thought 'The Lord of the Rings' was dumbed down to make it popular. I mean, writng entirely new scenes in order to turn it into a love story whilst ripping out others to tone down the political sub-themes wasn't done to increase it's intellectual appeal.

Yes, but they were still smart movies regardless. Dumbing something down 8% to make it fit in the medium isn't the same as completely ripping out the brain and replacing it with a firecracker. They had to play up Arwen's character, otherwise no one would have known who she was when she showed up at the end to marry Aragorn. A movie audience can't flip back a thousand pages to refresh their memory.

Moreover, the movies were only dumbed-down compared to the books. Taken on their own, they wouldn't seem dumbed-down at all.*

*Except for that part where the ents decide not to fight Saruman and then suddenly change their minds when Pippin tricks them into walking by Orthanc and actually looking at the damage done. Like the tree people didn't know that Saruman was killing their forest buddies? That was just dumb.
Advertise in this space!

Talia

Postby Talia » Wed May 20, 2009 10:38 pm

Heh, I'm sorry you loathed it.

I absolutely loved it, more than I've loved any movie in years. Currently contemplating going to see it a second time. It was just pure fun start to finish for me.

(excepting that one romance that made me shudder..).

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Postby Kevin Anderson » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:08 am

Got to see it last night. Loved it. Can't wait to see it again.

"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

DougallStrange

I really liked it!

Postby DougallStrange » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:48 am

I enjoyed the new movie quite alot, I am a long time Star Trek fan, devouring The original series and subsequent Movies. The Next Generation, DS9, Voyager, and enterprise never really resonated with me as much so I'm glad Kirk Spock and MFin Montgomery Scott are back! Plus we got to see Kirk in the Kobayashi Maru Test, which was fun for me. As for Space jumping and other problems I must paraphrase a famous Philosophy

"If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
and other science facts (la la la),
Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a Movie,
I should really just relax"
- MST3K
Unnamable Cthuloid horrors, crumble rock, rusts scissors and inscribes paper with blasphemous secrets that cause your eyeballs to explode while your tongue catches fire from the unholy hymns your crazed mind forces you to scream out.

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Just good clean Trekkie Fun

Postby Kevin Anderson » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:53 pm

Hey if you can't wait for the next Star Trek reboot installment (and I know you can't Mr. Tweedy) check out this, Star Trek - of Gods and Men, a free 3 act online fan film with an amazing collection of Trek faces.

The title is awful, as there are no gods in the movie and the main character (in my opinion) is female, and there are some very cheesy but fun Trekkie moments, but overall this is just good clean Trekkie fun.

http://startrekofgodsandmen.com/main/

"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

Return to “Podcasts and suchforth”