Podcasts I like or don't like

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: Podcasts I like or don't like

Postby tbaker2500 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:21 am

Heard about The Witch Hunter Chronicles on Radio Drama Revival. Really been enjoying it, excellent custom music. Sometimes the understanding of the speech suffers due to music volume and effects used on the speech.
http://whchronicles.wordpress.com/
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

groomporter

Postby groomporter » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:12 am

A newish podcast with some minneapolis-based talent that I know that I discovered recently and have been enjoying
http://www.precariousaudiotheater.com/
Soylent Polka Dot is clowns.

groomporter

Postby groomporter » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Just listenend to a newish podcast that may show some promise. "The Burnham Society" A fictional tongue-in-cheek look at the supernatural culture and history of Chicago.

This quote should catch Drabblercastians:

"Remember there's magic within you. If you don't let it out it will crawl through your rib cage and eat your family..."

http://burnhamsociety.madeoffail.net/

strawman

Postby strawman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:51 pm

If you have a long trip...say you're driving regularly from Chicago to Las Vegas... I highly recommend Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:41 am

Yes, Burnham society is quite nice.

eviebae

We're Alive: A Story of Survival

Postby eviebae » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:20 am

The ad that's been running on Drabblecast drove me here to give my favorite podcast some love. It's We're Alive: A Story of Survival at http://www.zombiepodcast.com/ I LOVE this audiodrama. It has beyond excellent sound production and the writing--while very good at the beginning--becomes better and better as time goes by. Same for the acting.

The plot and characters are 3D, multicultural in the way the world is, and not stereotypic. Plus, the military details are spot on because the writer was in Iraq. When a weapon is fired or someone uses a zipline the sound is the sound of the actual thing. The guy knows how the army works etc.

Obviously, it's about "Zombies"--the genetically mutated human kind--that seem to adapt to anything that you throw against them. Supposedly the how and why will be revealed--tho I find guessing to be fun. The writer has said he hated the end of Lost--and so far is a fairly original writer--so I'm crossing my fingers for a worthy ending (I'm looking at you BSG).

It also has a forum and "fan podcast" on iTunes: "We're Not Dead".

groomporter

Postby groomporter » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:29 pm

"Welcome to Night Vale" is my latest podcast discovery.
http://www.commonplacebooks.com/p/blog-page.html

WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE is a twice-monthly podcast in the style of community radio updates for the small desert town of Night Vale, featuring local weather, news, announcements from the Sheriff's Secret Police, mysterious lights in the night sky, dark hooded figures with unknowable powers, and cultural events.

Turn on your radio and hide.

A new dog park has opened in Night Vale. Dogs are not allowed in the dog park. Do not enter the dog park. The gate is locked and the fence is electrified. Do not look at or think about the hooded figures in the dog park...

sandrilde

Postby sandrilde » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:15 pm

The sad thing about going through this list is that some of them seem to be defunct? Like well told tales and variant frequencies... Unless I just fail at finding them - maybe i should look up the old content -

I also really like Cast of Wonders and Tales to Terrify - surprised no one's mentioned them - Going to start listening to Toasted Cake and Dunesteef -

sandrilde

Postby sandrilde » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:28 pm

Thanks for the welcome to nightvale rec, groomporter - enjoying those :) Though I can't listen to them all at once but they're nice chunks in between other things. Also, someone on here got me on the burnham society and that one's pretty fun so far ----

Now back to all the work I'm supposedly doing while listening to these...... Hahahaha.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:22 pm

Yea, it's a shame that the Burnham society trailed off. It was gut.

sandrilde

Postby sandrilde » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:13 pm

sad.... someone should right a horror story about the mysterious abrupt disappearance of so many podcasts.... or even the ones that are solid and human until they fade into nothing, ghosting away from us...... WHO IS KILLING THEM ALL? WHERE DO THEIR SOULS GO?

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:16 pm

sandrilde wrote:WHO IS KILLING THEM ALL?

Norm.

WHERE DO THEIR SOULS GO?

Drabblecast B-Sides.

gunsofchekhovia

Postby gunsofchekhovia » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:00 am

I was just going to suggest Welcome to Night Vale but I see someone else already did. Tales to Terrify is another of my favorites. It is no Pseudopod, but it fills the hole left by the defunct Cast Macabre.

The Truth (thetruthapm.com) has run some very interesting audio drama. It's not "genre" overall, though occasionally they do produce a SF or horror-esque piece.

sandrilde

Postby sandrilde » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:49 pm

Honestly I love Tales to Terrify more for the host than the stories--- I could listen to it even if there were no stories =D

Pseudopod is awesome, so is Nightmare. Realizing that I am much more interested in Weird and Horror than I am in pure sci fi and fantasy. Tho occasionally Podcastle or Beneath Ceaseless Skies or Lightspeed blows me away... Reserving judgment on EscapePod because I'm expecting much better things with the new Editorial Staff =D

gunsofchekhovia

Postby gunsofchekhovia » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:00 pm

I like Larry too, although in my opinion he is not on the same level that Norm, Alasdair Stuart, and Mur Lafferty are/were.

Return to “Podcasts and suchforth”