Podcasts I like or don't like

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
User avatar
normsherman
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:58 am

Post by normsherman » Wed May 28, 2008 12:03 am

Just had a listen to DKT's story over at Variant Frequencies- fantastic.
Give it a listen here...

http://www.variantfrequencies.com/2008/ ... pirituals/

Also, private message him and harass him into sending a flash piece our way. :twisted:
"Give us all some Jelly"

User avatar
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

http://zombinc.net/

Post by Kevin Anderson » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:07 pm

Just heard the new audio drama Episode one of THE TAKEOVER.

Its fun, entertaining, and if you like good tongue and cheek horror - with zombies - you will enjoy.

http://zombinc.net/

...and its from Mur Lafferty. Honestly, when does she sleep?
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

User avatar
Chivalrybean
Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Post by Chivalrybean » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:34 pm

steampod.org is a new one, only one story so far, but it was a good story and made mention of furry terrorists. It is a steampunk podcast. It is also read by JC Hutchins. I recommend you check it out.

User avatar
Mr. Tweedy
Member
Posts: 1733
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Illinois (Land of Obama)
Contact:

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:02 pm

That Steampod story was interesting. I really like the idea of "culture terrorists" trying to shake up the stagnancy and decadence of the Laz-Z-Boy future. Goofy, yet plausible. Actually a topic I've thought about a lot. Is a life that presents no challenges and requires no effort really a life? The story wasn't actually steampunk, but...

Bleck! Even after skipping the intro to the most recent Podcastle ("Fourteen Experiments In Postal Delivery"), I hated the story so much I didn't finish it. I found all the characters so repellent that I didn't want to find out what happened to them. Hopefully one of the ridiculous packages contained a killer duck that ate them all.

I'm guessing people already know about the "Classic Tales" podcast, but it's pretty good: I've heard a lot of interesting stories and encountered a couple of old authors for the fist time. My wife really enjoyed "The Aunt and Amabel" and "Leave it to Jeeves." "The Lurking Fear" was a great Lovecraft story. B.J. Harrison is the only reader I've heard who I think is as good as Norm. (Completely different, but as good in a very different way.)
Advertise in this space!

User avatar
Chivalrybean
Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Post by Chivalrybean » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:03 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:That Steampod story was interesting. I really like the idea of "culture terrorists" trying to shake up the stagnancy and decadence of the Laz-Z-Boy future. Goofy, yet plausible. Actually a topic I've thought about a lot. Is a life that presents no challenges and requires no effort really a life? The story wasn't actually steampunk, but...

Bleck! Even after skipping the intro to the most recent Podcastle ("Fourteen Experiments In Postal Delivery"), I hated the story so much I didn't finish it. I found all the characters so repellent that I didn't want to find out what happened to them. Hopefully one of the ridiculous packages contained a killer duck that ate them all.

I'm guessing people already know about the "Classic Tales" podcast, but it's pretty good: I've heard a lot of interesting stories and encountered a couple of old authors for the fist time. My wife really enjoyed "The Aunt and Amabel" and "Leave it to Jeeves." "The Lurking Fear" was a great Lovecraft story. B.J. Harrison is the only reader I've heard who I think is as good as Norm. (Completely different, but as good in a very different way.)
Yes, classic tales is the bees knees.

The Podcastle... yeah... it had moments, the best being a Scotsman on a horse, but other than that, it was needlessly crass, and in the end, I guess I really didn't give a flying frog fart that they got back together. Unless you stopped listening before the Scotsman on a horse, you didn't miss anything.

User avatar
Mr. Tweedy
Member
Posts: 1733
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Illinois (Land of Obama)
Contact:

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:55 pm

And it was obvious from word one that they were going to get back together. The female protagonist saying "I hate you. We will never get back together" is equivalent to a note in the margin that reads "They will get back together on the last page." I knew it was going to be a "happy" ending, but I didn't want to hear those immature, selfish, "pretty", rich-without-real-jobs urbanites get a "happy" ending. It was like the author thought it would be cool to do "Friends" with magic and an NC-17 rating.

Anyway, I think I am going to unsubscribe from Podcastle. I've listened to 11 of it's stories so far, liked 2, hated 5 and forgotten the other 4. A fair trial, I think. Now no one here will have to hear me complain about how I dislike it anymore. :P
Advertise in this space!

cammoblammo
Member
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:54 am
Location: Colac, Victoria
Contact:

Post by cammoblammo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:33 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:And it was obvious from word one that they were going to get back together. The female protagonist saying "I hate you. We will never get back together" is equivalent to a note in the margin that reads "They will get back together on the last page." I knew it was going to be a "happy" ending, but I didn't want to hear those immature, selfish, "pretty", rich-without-real-jobs urbanites get a "happy" ending. It was like the author thought it would be cool to do "Friends" with magic and an NC-17 rating.
I haven't minded PC up until now. That was the first one I didn't like. I was a little miffed the fantasy didn't kick in until way too late, and I was quite annoyed it didn't come with a warning. If that came on with my mother-in-law in the car, I'd end up in a similar situation to the girl's boyfriend, anatomically speaking.

Actually, I think it was probably quite a good story. But given the excellent reading (really, one of the best I remember hearing anywhere, period) it just goes to show that some stories weren't designed for audio.

User avatar
Goldenrat
Member
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:07 am
Location: Minnesota

Post by Goldenrat » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:01 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:And it was obvious from word one that they were going to get back together. The female protagonist saying "I hate you. We will never get back together" is equivalent to a note in the margin that reads "They will get back together on the last page." I knew it was going to be a "happy" ending, but I didn't want to hear those immature, selfish, "pretty", rich-without-real-jobs urbanites get a "happy" ending. It was like the author thought it would be cool to do "Friends" with magic and an NC-17 rating.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head on that one. How cute that the couple got back together after he slept with her sister and others, and then the sister says he slept with her because he wanted the main charachter. He felt that he couldn't live up to her perfectionist standards, so maybe it was her fault he was a horn dog. Give me a break. I hated everyone at the end. I can't believe I stuck with it to the end.

User avatar
Chivalrybean
Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Post by Chivalrybean » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:03 am

Most people seemed to love it on the forums though. If the characters were likable and the crudeness dialed WAY down, I probably would have loved the story.

User avatar
Chivalrybean
Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Post by Chivalrybean » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:39 am

Once again, Pseudopod delivers! The latest story, "The Skull-Faced Boy" features a car accident, a face without skin, and smart zombies. It is almost as good as The Land of Reeds, but Skull-Faced doesn't end with as much closure and if it was about 10 more minutes long, they might have been able to finish up a bit better. Really dang good though, despite.

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3612
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:20 pm

I'll dip my oar in.

I love WNYC's Radio Lab. They do a clever production of in depth science topics.

Hooting Yard on the Air is whacky. I canna say if I recommend it or not, but Frank Key writes some truly gripping prose on truly inane subjects.

And my favorite podcast to go to sleep to is Discovery news: Friday News Feedbag. I takes the strangest news items they can find from science journals, and discuss them in a college dorm room way. :-)
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
Goldenrat
Member
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:07 am
Location: Minnesota

Post by Goldenrat » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:28 pm

tbaker2500 wrote: And my favorite podcast to go to sleep to is Discovery news: Friday News Feedbag. I takes the strangest news items they can find from science journals, and discuss them in a college dorm room way. :-)
That sounds cool. I'm going to check that out.

User avatar
StalinSays
Beast-Master
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:58 am
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

games

Post by StalinSays » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:47 am

For anyone who likes video games, having heard them all, I recommend 'The Giant Bombcast' and '1-Up Yours' as standouts.

'KCRW's Today's Top Tune' is a free song a day (just hit the convert to mp3 button on the podcast and keep it in your library), so that's a top pick. Also have to throw out the' SModcast', for anyone who likes to listen to Kevin Smith ramble at length, mostly talking about Nazis and his feces. Don't ask me why, but I do.

Oh, and there's this thing called the Mega-Beast Super Animal Death-Match something or other. Don't know if I've mentioned that yet. :D

cammoblammo
Member
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:54 am
Location: Colac, Victoria
Contact:

Re: games

Post by cammoblammo » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:43 am

StalinSays wrote: Oh, and there's this thing called the Mega-Beast Super Animal Death-Match something or other. Don't know if I've mentioned that yet. :D
Yeah, somebody mentioned it over at Escape Pod. Looks pretty cool.

User avatar
strawman
Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: South Georgia

Post by strawman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:55 am

This site lives up to its name.
Before the Famous Amos cookie, there was Famous anus:
http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=202#more-202

Image
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

User avatar
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Dunesteef

Post by Kevin Anderson » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:07 pm

The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine is not yet a year old, but I've enjoyed most of their stuff. I just listened to this one this morning, and it is very well written, and has a nice level of creepiness required for this time of year.

http://dunesteef.com/2008/10/15/page-4- ... schlosser/
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

G. E. Lee
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:13 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Dunesteef

Post by G. E. Lee » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:28 pm

Kevin Anderson wrote:The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine is not yet a year old, but I've enjoyed most of their stuff. I just listened to this one this morning, and it is very well written, and has a nice level of creepiness required for this time of year.

http://dunesteef.com/2008/10/15/page-4- ... schlosser/
I've started listening through their back catalogue. I like the banter between the hosts. It's a fun show, and they seem to have a knack for finding very solid fiction. Production is quite good, but the audio for the readers seems to be a bit uneven at times. Still, a very worthy addition to my podcast play list. I wouldn't hestiate to recommend it to anyone who likes DC (I'm assuming everyone here does).
mogera robusta

cammoblammo
Member
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:54 am
Location: Colac, Victoria
Contact:

Re: Dunesteef

Post by cammoblammo » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:09 am

G. E. Lee wrote: Production is quite good, but the audio for the readers seems to be a bit uneven at times. Still, a very worthy addition to my podcast play list. I wouldn't hestiate to recommend it to anyone who likes DC (I'm assuming everyone here does).
That's quite normal for a new podcast---the hosts make a thing about the fact they can't even afford mic stands. Hopefully that'll improve. Remember the early days of the Drabblecast? If I remember correctly, Norm was recording into his laptop's inbuilt mic while sitting in his lounge room.

As for the readers, it can be fairly hard getting readers to volunteer for something like this. There's a fair bit of time and work involved in the reading (probably 2-3 times the length of the reading itself). A new podcast has to take what it can get!

If you're thinking specifically of the latest episode (The Seas of Castle Hill Road) I happen to know both the readers had unexpected technical issues that have since been (hopefully) resolved. So it can only get better... :P
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

clutron
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:55 pm

Post by clutron » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:32 am

I've recently been listening to audio books since Escape Pod has been on Hiatus....

I have been listening to Playing for Keeps and Heaven by Mur Lafferty
7th Son by J.C. Hutchins (currently listening)
Brave Men Run Matthew Wayne Selznick (finished)
Secret World Chronicles (finished???)

I would recommend all of them, but PFK has to be my fav. (Yeah, I said "fav"...I'm not embarrassed)

So....basically every super hero Audio book I can find :)...

I have liked all of these, but after reading the earlier post regarding Brave Men Run, I have to agree...There was a lot of teenage junk mixed in there and kind of made the fight scenes not worth it for me...I'm pretty much all about sweet fight scenes and if it sacrifices the plot, to give me that, I'm not too upset.

Also, what's up with Secret World Chronicles? Anyone know? Are they still putting out new material? Is it over? Will the Metas ever get revenge on the Thule society? These questions must be answered!

User avatar
zZzacha
Member
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:33 pm
Location: Teh Netherlandz
Contact:

Post by zZzacha » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:17 pm

clutron wrote:I've recently been listening to audio books since Escape Pod has been on Hiatus....
EP is back! EP is back!! In case you missed that, that may be because of the change of RSS feed address... I found out yesterday that the RSS feed that I use has become inactive. If you have that same problem, just update the feeds to feedproxy.google.com. The complete addresses are on the websites.

I absolutely agree with your audiobook choices! Great books, I've listened to most of them. I hadn't started the Secret World Chronicles yet, because I don't like to start a book when it isn't finished. I'm always afraid that it won't be finished and I just hate that. It's a waste of my time, time I could have used listenening to books that are finished.
clutron wrote:Also, what's up with Secret World Chronicles? Anyone know? Are they still putting out new material? Is it over? Will the Metas ever get revenge on the Thule society? These questions must be answered!
There you have it! Stuck in the middle of a book without an ending!
So, I checked podiobooks and I shrieked!!!! Look:
"We're sorry, but this book has been taken off the shelf either by the request of the author, or because of an unacceptable time between updates."
I really hate that. Too many great books have stopped halfway.

Here are some podiobooks that have finished and that I really enjoyed:
Hickman - The Immortals (SciFi)
Lenahan - Shadowmagic (Fantasy)
Lafferty - Heaven series (after 4 parts, the series aren't finished, so this may pose a risk)
Jeffrey - Max Quick series (also not yet finished. Risk risk, but fun to listen)
Nemcoff - The Doomsday Club (no superheroes and lots of violence, maybe a bit too rough after listening to Brave Men Run)
Steele - Forever Fifteen (vampire but without the blood and gore)
Zan - The Corridor (my all-time favorite, but it has some cruel violence in it. Flying bodyparts, ripping people open and stuff. Yet still, a great great 22 hour listen!)
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

Post Reply