Podcasts I like or don't like

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Re: Podcasts I like or don't like

Post by Kevin Anderson » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Just an FYI for those who give a Ferengi's nut sack, Mysterious Universe is Back. After I guess about a year abscents this podcast dedicated to UFO's, Bigfoot, and the theory of the Metric System has re-entered the podosphere with episode 201.

I haven't heard it yet - so don't tell me how it ends.

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2009/09/e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false ... -universe/

and why with all the changes to the forums, didn't they add a frakin' spell check.
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:07 am

Kevin Anderson wrote:and why with all the changes to the forums, didn't they add a frakin' spell check.
There isn't one in your browser?
Advertise in this space!

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:05 am

nope
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:11 am

Wow... Get a better browser. (You can get Safari on Windoze, you know.)

And, lest we forget, to learn more about Mysterious Universe, see Kevin's post above!
Advertise in this space!

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:47 pm

I'm really digging The Urban Shooter podcast.

It's just the right mix of the light comedy, useful tips, gun-rights advocacy, karaoke and zombie fiction that I crave. There aren't many podcasts that target both the far-right and far-geek demographics simultaneously, so I'm pretty pumped about this.

Listening to the "Zombie Strike" serial on the podcast. Solid, if unremarkable, audio fiction, but it has the very funny quirk of having the host/narrator as a named character in the story. Ken Blanchard is reading it and it is on his show, and he is one of the central characters. I wonder if he'll survive?
Advertise in this space!

DougallStrange

Post by DougallStrange » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:00 pm

I jus stumbled on to the Geek Survival Guide, its full of fun survival tips you will probly never need such as what to do if you get a Mogwai as a gift (get a gift recipt) or how to survive a Star Trek TOS episode (outfit color is Key) I really like it
Unnamable Cthuloid horrors, crumble rock, rusts scissors and inscribes paper with blasphemous secrets that cause your eyeballs to explode while your tongue catches fire from the unholy hymns your crazed mind forces you to scream out.

swamp

Post by swamp » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:14 pm

You guys may want to give PodCastle another go. I have been catching up on episodes after a short hiatus and have been amazed by the quality of the stories. They still do the intros, but their length and spoiler factor vary depending on the host. Rachel Swirsky has been keeping it brief; Ann Leckie goes longer, but I enjoy the information she has to give since it usually does not spoil the story. M.K. Hobson is the most spoilerific. But hey ,Dave Thompson (reader of DC's Monster Talk) has taken over the feedback section at the end and adds some more fun. I haven't caught up on everything, but here are some of my recommendations:

The Dybbuk in the Bottle by Russell William Asplund (Ep 70) - a light-hearted Jewish take on making a deal with a devil.

The Olverung by Stephen Woodworth (Ep 69) - an adventurous heist story with beautiful words about the two sides of love, human nature, and addiction.

One Paper Airplane Graffito Love Note by Will McIntosh (Ep 66) - falling in love with a woman whose life is on display can be heartbreaking yet hopeful

Castor On Troubled Waters by Rhys Hughes (Ep 64) - a jolly romp through suspect yarns of adventure

Daughter of Botu by Eugie Foster (Ep 63) - a masterfully written Chinese fairy tale of love and loss

Captain Fantasy and the Secret Masters by Tim Pratt (Ep 61) - a secret agent gets to fulfil his lifelong dream of working with his favorite superhero to fight Nazis.

The Cambist and Lord Iron by Daniel Abraham (Ep 51) - an intriguing high-stakes accounting of the worth of diverse items

swamp

Post by swamp » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:37 pm

A couple other podcasts that I listen to (besides DC and the EA podcasts) are:

Classic Tales with B.J. Harrison

and

Beaneath Ceaseless Skies .

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:46 pm

Classic Tales FTW! (Unfortunately, he's been doing "Frankenstein" for the last 2 months, and it isn't any more interesting in audio than it was to read, but I think that's done now.)

I've taken to reading Beneath Ceaseless Skies on my iPod during break at work. The other guys mock me for reading instead of talking about football, but their mockery is not as bad as talking about football would be, so it's okay.
Advertise in this space!

DKT

Post by DKT » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:16 pm

Hehehehe. I actually enjoyed Frankenstein when BJ read it, and I hated reading it in HS. Granted, Victor still feels like such a whiny rich brat most of the time (You've worked hard enough to create a life and only when it wakes up do you have second thoughts and bail out? GAH! Then you're wife is murdered by The Monster and you faint instead of making a stand. Dude, Harry Potter's parents would've kicked your ass.) But I was much more keyed into it being some kind of deranged creation myth this time around, and was kind of fascinated by it in that regard. And the ending is sublime. I certainly get why it's a classic.

Although if he keeps doing classic serialized monster novels, I hope he does Dracula next...

Also, yeah, I hope you guys feel free to come by and check out Podcastle again sometime soon. The episodes Swamp highlighted are really quite good. I know I'm biased these days, but I'm really proud to be helping out there and feel like PC's putting out some great stuff. I hope you guys swing by and give it another chance. (Although I feel like I should point out that this week's not yet posted story "I'll Give In," which I introduce, certainly earned the sex content warning I gave it, so if you don't like that kind of thing, you might want to skip it.)

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:06 pm

I have been listening to the The Dunesteef recently, it is a bit like muppet show with stories.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:19 am

Dunesteef is great and Phenopath nailed it. If Amazon was in charge of podcasts they would tell you "Since you like Drabblecast, you might also like Dunesteef."
Primarily because of the production-- they have a similar approach to audio production as I do, but also in attitude I think. Not taking itself seriously, but secretly taking itself seriously enough to try really hard to make the show as good as possible.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:01 am

normsherman wrote:Dunesteef is great and Phenopath nailed it. If Amazon was in charge of podcasts they would tell you "Since you like Drabblecast, you might also like Dunesteef."
Primarily because of the production-- they have a similar approach to audio production as I do, but also in attitude I think. Not taking itself seriously, but secretly taking itself seriously enough to try really hard to make the show as good as possible.
No, it is because Rish sounds like Kermit and Big sounds like Fuzzy Bear ;)
Phenopath's Story Archive

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:36 am

Phenopath wrote:
normsherman wrote:Dunesteef is great and Phenopath nailed it. If Amazon was in charge of podcasts they would tell you "Since you like Drabblecast, you might also like Dunesteef."
That would be Fozzie Bear, I presume. Wokka Wokka Wokka...
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

F5iver

Post by F5iver » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:00 am

Phenopath wrote:

Dear Big n Rish: Please please please do a parody of TMS. I promise to eat all my vegetables.
Yours forever if you do,
F5iver

Big Anklevich

Post by Big Anklevich » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:00 am

Funny you should mention that...

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:55 am

I just ran across Pantless Knights. http://pantlessknights.com/

Pretty funny stuff! If you watch their most recent vid, make sure to watch the original before the parody.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:28 am

I can imagine Shake Weight doing trade shows. Must be a fun work environment. Manning the booth:
Attachments
images.jpg
Shake Weight BEFORE
images.jpg (4.12 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
Pee-Wee-Herman--9258.jpg
AFTER
Pee-Wee-Herman--9258.jpg (65 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

swamp

Post by swamp » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:04 pm

swamp wrote:You guys may want to give PodCastle another go. I have been catching up on episodes after a short hiatus and have been amazed by the quality of the stories.

..here are some of my recommendations:

The Dybbuk in the Bottle by Russell William Asplund (Ep 70) - a light-hearted Jewish take on making a deal with a devil.

The Olverung by Stephen Woodworth (Ep 69) - an adventurous heist story with beautiful words about the two sides of love, human nature, and addiction.

One Paper Airplane Graffito Love Note by Will McIntosh (Ep 66) - falling in love with a woman whose life is on display can be heartbreaking yet hopeful

Castor On Troubled Waters by Rhys Hughes (Ep 64) - a jolly romp through suspect yarns of adventure

Daughter of Botu by Eugie Foster (Ep 63) - a masterfully written Chinese fairy tale of love and loss

Captain Fantasy and the Secret Masters by Tim Pratt (Ep 61) - a secret agent gets to fulfil his lifelong dream of working with his favorite superhero to fight Nazis.

The Cambist and Lord Iron by Daniel Abraham (Ep 51) - an intriguing high-stakes accounting of the worth of diverse items
How come every time I recommend something, it backfires? I stand by my recommendation for Podcastle, but the most recent two episodes have been a letdown, a dissappointing letdown even. For a better sample, go to the episodes above.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:04 pm

swamp wrote:How come every time I recommend something, it backfires? I stand by my recommendation for Podcastle, but the most recent two episodes have been a letdown, a disappointing letdown even. For a better sample, go to the episodes above.
I give every short audio podcast a shot. Podcastle had me for about 30 episodes and then I just got tired and dropped it. The candor of the intro and outro always bugged me (so proper and praise-happy). It seemed to draw a lot of amateurish sounding narration. Also, I've just never been a great lover of fantasy tropes.

Our beloved Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Well Told Tales, and Escape Pod, in that order, these are short fiction 'casts I'm still listening to regularly, having sampled idunno like 35. I miss Hall of Mirrors, now defunct.

Thanks kindly for the episode specific recommendations though Swamp. They're all past the point I quit so I will check them out in time, when a work day goes long. :D
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com