AVATAR

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
User avatar
Mr. Tweedy
Member
Posts: 1733
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Illinois (Land of Obama)
Contact:

AVATAR

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:03 pm

http://avatar.substance001.info/

Awesome? :? I am skeptical. Story looks cliché: Evil imperialists invade peaceful land to steal its resources. Primitive but resourceful natives resist. One of the imperialists falls for a native chick, switches sides. Epic battle, after which everyone resolves to share and play nice. Small twist in that the imperialist is wearing a puppet body, but even that has been done before.

This movie is riding on its special effects, but, really, that trailer didn't impress me. The effects are supposed to be Matrix-level revolutionary, that didn't look any better than Star Wars or, for that matter, a cutscene from a Blizzard game.

Impressions? Biased prejudgments?
Advertise in this space!

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4251
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:42 pm

Are you dissing Blizzard?

Flap PvP and THEN say that n00b.

:D
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
Mr. Tweedy
Member
Posts: 1733
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Illinois (Land of Obama)
Contact:

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:48 pm

You're right. I shouldn't insult Blizzard's cutscenes by comparing them to James Cameron movies. I apologize, Blizzard. Sorry.
Advertise in this space!

User avatar
StalinSays
Beast-Master
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:58 am
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

uh

Post by StalinSays » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:22 pm

I'd be incredibly interested - if I was a furry.

Dunno, not feeling the trailer. Maybe it's all the hyperbole crashing to earth, I don't know. Likely I will see it, if only for the 3D. And to make fun or the inevitable rapid growing, rabies flowing fan base, who will rally around a mainstream event that implicitly condones their strange, internet emboldened sexual deviancy.

User avatar
moonowl
Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: AVATAR

Post by moonowl » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:09 am

I just saw this-what did you guys think???

My eyes, they exploded. Really, the critics are a bunch of poopsticks if they can't see its amazing.

Oh, I wanna pterodactyl pal. Someone get working on it. I want a green one.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

User avatar
StalinSays
Beast-Master
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:58 am
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: AVATAR

Post by StalinSays » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:36 am

http://drabblecast.freeforums.org/drabb ... 6-160.html

Start there in the reviews topic and you get Norm, me, and Alhiltion's thoughts. It's funny now to see Tweedy's review of the trailer. He's completely right about the story, completely wrong about the effects. Bad trailer.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

User avatar
moonowl
Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: AVATAR

Post by moonowl » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:59 am

Whoops! I lost it in that thread of (YAWN!) mostly video game stuff.

I still am waiting for my pterodactyl.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

User avatar
StalinSays
Beast-Master
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:58 am
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: AVATAR

Post by StalinSays » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:14 am

As a consistent contributor I'd chart the reviews thread as: 40% movies, 25% games, 25% books, 10% other - don't yawn it right off the table now.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

User avatar
Phenopath
Member
Posts: 1059
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: AVATAR

Post by Phenopath » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:33 pm

I dont get out much, and have therefore not seen the film. But have any of you guys been feeling a little suicidal since going to the cinema?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/12/avatar_blues/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
strawman
Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: AVATAR

Post by strawman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:55 pm

W....O.....W
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: AVATAR

Post by dreamrock » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:30 pm

Phenopath wrote:I dont get out much, and have therefore not seen the film. But have any of you guys been feeling a little suicidal since going to the cinema?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/12/avatar_blues/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
As strawman noted ... Woooow. As a long term SF fan, I've always had that sort of "Aw, man. Being stuck on this stupid rock sucks." So, maybe these nubs are experiencing their first thin sliver of SF. Otherwise, it's kind of inexplicable. Pandora is a very thin cipher for early European settlement North America. I'd say it's a thinner cipher than most of the worlds on Star Trek. I mean, seriously, they even did the plains nations and pretty much the only thing they added was the hint that there might be some seafaring nations as well.

Well, that and the pterodactyls.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
moonowl
Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: AVATAR

Post by moonowl » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:47 pm

A friend of mine just posted on my facebook that it was a chick flick!!!!!! I mean Meg Ryan wasn't in it!

Dinosaurs vs mechs and awesome pterodactyls vs helicopters. Giant 3d fireballs. What the hell? That's like an awesome cupcake with kickass frosting on top.

I bet this douche cried during Terminator because it had too much character development.

Then again, he is over 40 and still watches the newest South Park every single week and thinks its the best thing on TV. I mean come on, the potty humor has gotten really old!
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

User avatar
munsi
Member
Posts: 855
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:06 am
Location: Calgary
Contact:

Re: AVATAR

Post by munsi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:18 am

QUICK, MUNSI, SOMEBODY'S WRONG ON THE INTERNET!!!

....i can't help but think you're watching Dances With Smurfs beyond the way in which it's intended. Jamcam has never claimed his films were rich in "Plot" or "character", this isn't the appeal that he puts forward to be seen. he never has, and there was a time he even admitted it out loud (after all, he made Aliens the way it was because he knew he could never make a thematically appropriate sequil to Alien that'd do the film justice)

what he is, however, good at is the best possible utilization of technology to create spectacle. T2 pushed film making (in a purely technical sense) forward a decade. so did Titanic. this is the kind of film he makes, and it usually works.

(spoiler alert: due to the nature of my job, i see very few films in theaters, and due to that i've yet to see Dances With Smurfs yet. i hope to before it leaves theaters, but this post is based on arguments on previous Jamcam films and what i know about the flick already)

...if you watch Dances With Smurfs on DVD in five years, you'll be disappointed, because on a fundamental level it's disappointing. nothing much happens, and what does you could piece together from other films. if, however, you watch it right now, in 3D, ideally in IMAX, it'll make you rethink what a movie can be, just like a dozen other directors are re-thinking even as we speak. in two or three years, a half dozen films that are, technically, inspired by Dances With Smurfs, but better written will be released. but who wants to wait that long?

like i said, i've not seen the film yet, and i may not get the opportunity (if i can't see it in IMAX, i likely won't see it) but so far i've had a pretty good track record with describing Jamcam flicks without having seen them, so i'm assuming i'm right here too. it's not timeless, it's not meant to be, it's timely. and if you catch it before it dates, you'll enjoy it. such is the magic of this kind of film.

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4251
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: AVATAR

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:58 pm

Phenopath wrote:I dont get out much, and have therefore not seen the film. But have any of you guys been feeling a little suicidal since going to the cinema?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/12/avatar_blues/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
I think this story says more about the pervasiveness of clinical depression than it does about the movie itself. It's a pretty tough disease to manage, and I think the movie was just another thing for some of those mentioned in the story to hang their depression on. Made newsworthy because of the buzz the film is creating. The depressed get down in the mouth about a lot of other things too that aren't as interesting or topical to write about.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
moonowl
Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: AVATAR

Post by moonowl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:44 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:an it does about the movie itself.

People at work (the psych lab) were talking about this. A few of us noticed how jacked up we were after the movie and my husband felt spacy like he does after a marathon. One of them mentioned the depression cases could have something to do with "adrenaline high" too. Apparently response to adrenaline has something to do with reducing serotonin levels, and a high for long periods of time can set someone on the edge off.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4251
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: AVATAR

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:07 am

moonowl wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:an it does about the movie itself.

People at work (the psych lab) were talking about this. A few of us noticed how jacked up we were after the movie and my husband felt spacy like he does after a marathon. One of them mentioned the depression cases could have something to do with "adrenaline high" too. Apparently response to adrenaline has something to do with reducing serotonin levels, and a high for long periods of time can set someone on the edge off.
What goes up... welll you know the rest.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
eric_marsh
Member
Posts: 1027
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:03 pm
Location: La Drova, Valencia, Spain
Contact:

Re: AVATAR

Post by eric_marsh » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:34 am

Finally saw Avatar. In fact the credits are running now.

Boy, that was fun!
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

User avatar
Talia
Member
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:01 pm
Location: Right behind you

Re: AVATAR

Post by Talia » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:56 pm

Yep I just caught it the other day. I absolutely loved it to death. I am so ready to be done with earth and run away to be Na'vi. Course there's a good chance something would eat me first, but hey. IT'S A CHANCE I'LL TAKE, OK!! :p

User avatar
Mr. Tweedy
Member
Posts: 1733
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Illinois (Land of Obama)
Contact:

Re: AVATAR

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:57 pm

This whole thing reminds me very strongly of Star Wars: Episode 1, at least of my reaction to it. I saw "1" in the theatre no less than 5 times, and was enraptured for each of them. Granted, I was only 16 and the finely honed cynicism I now personify was still nascent, but I think that has less to do with it than with the sheer novelty of the sights on the screen. "1" was, I think, the first movie ever to feature a photorealistic fantasy world. There had been lots of fantasy movies before that, of course, but "1" was the first to do it on that scale, to make it look like a film crew had actually gone to someplace with alien pod racing and shot a movie there. And I think that's really 100% of the reason why I loved it so. I see "1" now and say (along with everyone else) "That sucks!" What changed? Well, "1" isn't novel anymore. I've seen a dozen movies that achieved the same level of fantastic authenticity (and played some games that came close), but many of those actually had good stories and characters, in addition to their spectacle.
Advertise in this space!

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4251
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: AVATAR

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:34 am

6 times. pfft.

I saw Star Wars, back when it was just Star Wars, (not episode 4) something like 18 times in the theater. Now THERE was a spectacle.

Ah, fond memories of the first time the Light Sabre was unsheathed, and the WOW WOULDYALOOKATTHAT mind-blowing experience the first time they leaped into hyperspace. Ok, the science was bad and in many cases the dialog was worse. The Kessel run in under 5 parsecs? That's like saying you ran the Boston Marathon in under 26 miles.

Still, the memories hold a fond place in my heart and imagination and I'm still not sure I can ever truly forgive George Lucas for eventually turning them into feature length commercials for Hasbro action figures.

I do hope to mortgage my dentures and make it out to Hyannis to see what all the hub-bub is about concerning AVATAR, however.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Post Reply