For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
Mr. Tweedy

Re: AVATAR

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:08 pm

Sadly, I was conceived just five short years too late to enjoy Star Wars in the theatre. Had I been around, though, I would surely have joined you. :)
Advertise in this space!

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:45 pm

It's hard in a forum to tell the Old Buzzards from the Hatchlings, (unless, like ROU, you date yourself). But I am suffering from cognitve dissonance here. You are 5 years younger than Star Wars? And you've already taken your first step, and learned to speak? Not only, but also a Forum Czar?

Huh. And people don't believe in time travel. Curious.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 pm

strawman wrote:It's hard in a forum to tell the Old Buzzards from the Hatchlings, (unless, like ROU, you date yourself). But I am suffering from cognitve dissonance here. You are 5 years younger than Star Wars? And you've already taken your first step, and learned to speak? Not only, but also a Forum Czar?

:lol: I may be taking you too seriously (and you can feel free to type *WHOOSH* at me if it turns out I have), but I believe Mr. Tweedy means that he is five years too young to have seen Star Wars: A New Hope during its first run in the movie theaters. Which would make him about 27 years old, a very respectable age for a Forum Czar on This Olde Intarweb.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

F5iver

Post by F5iver » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:15 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:That's like saying you ran the Boston Marathon in under 26 miles.
Rosie Ruiz did it.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:16 am

26, as it happens. :)
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:09 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Sadly, I was conceived just five short years too late to enjoy Star Wars in the theatre. Had I been around, though, I would surely have joined you. :)
I'll loan you my time machine since I don't use it anymore.

Enjoy.

Oh ya. Buy Microsoft and Google.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:51 am

dreamrock wrote:
strawman wrote:It's hard in a forum to tell the Old Buzzards from the Hatchlings, (unless, like ROU, you date yourself). But I am suffering from cognitve dissonance here. You are 5 years younger than Star Wars? And you've already taken your first step, and learned to speak? Not only, but also a Forum Czar?

:lol: I may be taking you too seriously (and you can feel free to type *WHOOSH* at me if it turns out I have), but I believe Mr. Tweedy means that he is five years too young to have seen Star Wars: A New Hope during its first run in the movie theaters. Which would make him about 27 years old, a very respectable age for a Forum Czar on This Olde Intarweb.
So Star Wars was 32 years ago? That's like last August to me. Junkyard time machine, c'est moi.

Spoiler:

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:48 am

I was actually born in the middle Return of the Jedi's theatre run. "Jedi" came out May 25, 1983. I was born 13 days later. My parents managed to get out and see it, but they didn't take me with them. I'm still bitter.

Sure, ROU, I'll borrow your time machine last week, if that works for you.
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:32 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:I was actually born in the middle Return of the Jedi's theatre run. "Jedi" came out May 25, 1983. I was born 13 days later. My parents managed to get out and see it, but they didn't take me with them. I'm still bitter.

Sure, ROU, I'll borrow your time machine last week, if that works for you.
RotJ was a nice conclusion, where I wish they had just left it. Although it does foreshadow the horror that was to come before in the previous movies 1, 2, & 3 with the arrival of those oh so cute and marketable Ewoks...

Yub Yub... /dance /dance Yub Yub... /dance /dance... Yub Yub...

<ROU scrubs at his brain to no avail...>

Oh, how I wish Han Solo had made good use of that trusty blaster at his side.

I think that the author of "Teddy Bears and Tea Parties" may well have drawn his inspiration from those scenes, for surely greater horror had yet to be unleashed upon the silver screen.

Well, until Jar Jar Binks showed up.
___
Tweedy, consider the time machine yours, but when you reached down between the seat cushions, remember i would one day warn you that there was no telling what cthulu-esque abominations had grown out of the snack foods that fell between them.

Never eat and time-travel, moral of that story.

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:23 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:I was actually born in the middle Return of the Jedi's theatre run. "Jedi" came out May 25, 1983. I was born 13 days later. My parents managed to get out and see it, but they didn't take me with them. I'm still bitter.
Holy crap I feel old! And lucky. But mostly old.
*saw all the movies in the theater, New Hope in a drive in*.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:26 pm

A drive-in in Philadelphia? A drive-BY, more likely.
Yep, the Lucky/Old continuum is a slippery slope. Then, finally, you run out of luck. Not a bad epitaph, really. Especially in the cemetery of a town called Luck.

Here lies Moonowl:
Got hit by a truck
As she ran out of Luck.

Spoiler:

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:03 am

I'll break from my usual derailing ways and steer this thread back on topic.

Just got back from Avatar. (Yes, yes, I know, way to be a month or so behind the curve there, ROU.)

Of course, it was visually spectacular. As a metaphor for the white man's conquest of the America's it was pretty flawed. I mean, the Na'vi won.

The Shock & Awe and Daisycutter references seemed a bit embarrassingly clumsy too. Also, I can't believe they had the balls to name the substance something as hokey as "unobtanium." Geez Louise, puhleeze.

These are quibbles though, minor blemishes in what was an entertaining action/adventure/SF/love story. Can't give it a perfect 10, because nothing could live up to the hyperbole surrounding the movie,

I will go 7 out of 8 tentacles, however.