Norm + Escapepod=

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
devora

Norm + Escapepod=

Post by devora » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:05 pm

I read that Norm will be partnering w/ Escapepod. Cool.

Will is be reading stories, hosting, producing? Again, cool. Should bring a nice weirdness to EP.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: Norm + Escapepod=

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:25 pm

devora wrote:I read that Norm will be partnering w/ Escapepod. Cool.

Will is be reading stories, hosting, producing? Again, cool. Should bring a nice weirdness to EP.
If true, then the guys at EP really must be as smart as they sound.

If Norm gets to put his unparralled brand of production quality on da pod that will only make an already fine podcast that much better.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:17 am

Eh? Interesting! 'twould be a big marquette. Before we go off into rampant speculation, what's the deal Norm?
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:57 am

Yah, I agreed to be a somewhat official co-host, which I think translates just that I'll be a guest host on a more regular basis, doing intros and outros and the like. I love Escapepod and I think it'll not only be fun for me, but help them out a little.
Won't be too much extra work, as DC is clearly my "#1 ho", know what I'm sayin playa?
"Give us all some Jelly"

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:18 am

Norm begins his stealth conquest of EP. Wahahaha!

Next: VF
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:56 am

I actually haven't listened to Escape Pod in quite a while. Maybe now's the time to jump back on the bandwagon.
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:08 am

Neat.
Yeah, I haven't listened to EP in quite a while. I tried listening to Variant Frequencies recently, and it seemed to suffer from the same problems as EP (last time I listened to it), which is poor story selections. If I have to listen to 5 episodes to hear one good story, I tend not to listen.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:11 am

As Dr.Loeb would say "Vorld Domination!!!"

I just hope Norm doesn't share Ustes's penchant for Man/Goat love, but who am I to judge. Don't ask, Don't Tell.

Congratulations, Norm. Yes, your'e presence will indeed make a great podcast even better.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:11 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Neat.
Yeah, I haven't listened to EP in quite a while. I tried listening to Variant Frequencies recently, and it seemed to suffer from the same problems as EP (last time I listened to it), which is poor story selections. If I have to listen to 5 episodes to hear one good story, I tend not to listen.
I feel ya on that. I dunno if you listen to Pseudopod though, but I feel of all my 'casts, they are most like DC in story selection. Don't get me wrong, we often have very lighthearted absurdity, and they often have super dark body flinting stuff, but the average story seems to fall in the same general mean. They sometimes have funny stuff (and their listeners complain!) but for whatever reason, it's always what I update first, even before EP and Science Friday.
"Give us all some Jelly"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:21 am

normsherman wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote:Neat.
I feel ya on that. I dunno if you listen to Pseudopod though, but I feel of all my 'casts, they are most like DC in story selection. Don't get me wrong, we often have very lighthearted absurdity, and they often have super dark body flinting stuff, but the average story seems to fall in the same general mean. They sometimes have funny stuff (and their listeners complain!) but for whatever reason, it's always what I update first, even before EP and Science Friday.
I bet the reason you update it first is because your much more likely to get something that is tentacle-related there.

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:24 am

normsherman wrote:I feel ya on that. I dunno if you listen to Pseudopod though, but I feel of all my 'casts, they are most like DC in story selection.
Also, notice that they're the only paying/produced-from-slush market to make it to the Parsec finals.

After mulling it over a little more, I really think there should be a separate Parsec category for true short fiction markets. They do something important for the genre that none of those other podcasts do. Markets actually transcend podcasting and fill a needed niche in spec fic. They are challenging to operate in ways that other podcasts are not. They ought to have their own category.
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Praxis

Post by Praxis » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:39 pm

normsherman wrote: Won't be too much extra work, as DC is clearly my "#1 ho", know what I'm sayin playa?
See, the EP that *I* know and love would never have hosts that use words like "ho" or "playa".

Norm are you sure you're ready for this?

(No really, just imagine Steve Eley signing off with "Have fun....playa". It'd never happen.)

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:39 pm

Praxis wrote:
normsherman wrote: Won't be too much extra work, as DC is clearly my "#1 ho", know what I'm sayin playa?
See, the EP that *I* know and love would never have hosts that use words like "ho" or "playa".

Norm are you sure you're ready for this?

(No really, just imagine Steve Eley signing off with "Have fun....playa". It'd never happen.)
:twisted:
Muwahahaha!
I'll probably behave, no worries.
"Give us all some Jelly"

StalinSays
Beast-Master

good deal

Post by StalinSays » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:49 pm

Pseudopod is my podcast home away from home: love their story selection, never miss an episode. It's never the same thing twice. If podcasting itself was in front of a firing squad, I'd leap to take the bullet for Norm, but my arms would be extended as far as they could to deflect whatever was aimed at Ben Phillips.

Can't help but love Escapepod - EA always brings it. I listened religiously through 175, but then started straying. I'd say I catch about 50% of the stories now. They tend to go with a lot of dry material. I like my stories dark, absurd, or at the very least fun.

Congrats Norm. No matter what, you have to see this as a plus for DC fans. That's filtered listeners who will be I'm sure attracted to Norm's colorful personality. And that picture of him with the pumpkin from his web site.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:42 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Eh? Interesting! 'twould be a big marquette. Before we go off into rampant speculation, what's the deal Norm?
What a buzzkill.

Damn you Mr.Baker.

This thread would have delivered so much more if you had allowed at least 3 pages of rampant speculation before raising the above objection.

(This is a speculative fiction site, after all...)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:07 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:(This is a speculative fiction site, after all...)
Then should we speculate in exactly 100 words?

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:19 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:(This is a speculative fiction site, after all...)
Then should we speculate in exactly 100 words?
Don't I do enough of that already?

Some people are never satisfied. :P

Praxis

Re: good deal

Post by Praxis » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:21 am

normsherman wrote: :twisted:
Muwahahaha!
EEEK!!
StalinSays wrote:And that picture of him with the pumpkin from his web site.
Oh. Yeah, there is that.
*snicker*

Do your 'worst' pumpkin boy.....

anadrea

Post by anadrea » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:43 pm

Goodness! Listening to podcasts just keeps getting better! I rushed over here as soon as I heard about Norm's move, afraid it might mean something bad for the Drabblecast - really glad to find out that it just means more Norm Sherman in my ears. :)

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:09 pm

anadrea wrote:Goodness! Listening to podcasts just keeps getting better! I rushed over here as soon as I heard about Norm's move, afraid it might mean something bad for the Drabblecast - really glad to find out that it just means more Norm Sherman in my ears. :)
Sounds like you need one of the official Drabblecast wash rags.

(rushed disclaimer: please note the official Drabblecast wash rag is not a real piece of swag and only exists in the demented mind of this poster.)