too much podcastage?

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
Chuckbucket

too much podcastage?

Post by Chuckbucket » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:43 am

Is there such a thing as to much podcastage? I spend more time listening to podcasts than I spend watching movies or TV. yet somehow I have 358 podcast episodes on my ipod. and that is only 34 different podcast streams.

I think I am addicted.

My favorite podcasts: ( in alphabetical order)
BBC World News
Drabble Cast
Escape Pod
How to Succeed in Evil
Prairie Home Companion's News from Lake Wobegon
Pseudopod

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:59 pm

Personallly, I think it's kind of cute that you have a wholesome goodness show like "Prairie Home Companion" sandwiched in-between "How to Succeed in Evil" and "Pseudopod."
:)

Chuckbucket

Post by Chuckbucket » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:03 am

I am a successfully evil, wholesome, horrifying kind of guy. I knocked out a lot of casts today, I'm down to 342.

most of today's podcasts were from http://www.barelypolitical.com/ . their videos are quality. someone else should check them out.

Philippa

Post by Philippa » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:21 pm

I've certainly transferred my movie addition to a podcast addiction - but I like to think listening to four half-hour science/skeptical/current affairs podcasts while I get some work done is far more constructive that 2 hours of silly alien/yakuza/superhero violence - though I still manage to fit enough of that in somehow...

Don't worry Chuck, I'm subscribed to over 70 podcasts (excluding the audiobooks) - thank goodness they only update once a week or so! Between sitting at my pc working, jogging, bus rides, cooking and cleaning, I somehow manage to get through them all and feel good about the multi-tasking. I can learn about how my brain works while I de-grease the oven - it's like a dream come true!

I've recently found a new one which I'd recommend to any classic science fiction fans - StarShipSofa. It's a mix of narrated stories (the latest is Harry Harrison's By the Falls) , and discussions on authors, books and various concepts in science fiction. Once you've (inevitably) run out of things to listen to, there's some good suggestions in the other podcast thread. Some of my faves (apart from Drabblecast, Escape Pod and Pseudopod of course):

All in the Mind
The Brain Science Podcast
Quirks & Quarks
The Geologic Podcast
The Guardian Science Weekly
Game Theory
The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe
Technorama
What the Cast

AliceNread

Post by AliceNread » Thu May 15, 2008 7:05 am

Nonsense! You cannot have too much podcasts. The beauty is that podcasts allow to do things while you enrich your life. I cannot sew, cook, clean, drive, all while listening to stories.

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Thu May 15, 2008 2:48 pm

Yeah, I had to trim my podcast list as they were just piling up in Itunes and I couldn't keep up. My faves are Escape Pod, Drabblecast, Skeptic's Guide to the Universe, Skeptoid, NASA cast, Sound Opinions, Musicheads.

I definitely listen to podcasts more than watch TV as I listen in the car and while walking my daggets.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu May 15, 2008 2:54 pm

TV? Why would anyone watch TV?

Podcasts, video games, music, movies, good-ol paper books: TV just can't compete.
Advertise in this space!

AliceNread

Post by AliceNread » Thu May 15, 2008 6:25 pm

Goldenrat wrote:Yeah, I had to trim my podcast list as they were just piling up in Itunes and I couldn't keep up. My faves are Escape Pod, Drabblecast, Skeptic's Guide to the Universe, Skeptoid, NASA cast, Sound Opinions, Musicheads.

I definitely listen to podcasts more than watch TV as I listen in the car and while walking my daggets.
I listen to most of those. Except for Sound Opinions, Musicheads.

I also listen to Well Told Tales, and Podcastle and Pseudopod.

PLUS my son listen to them as I do, which is very nice.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:37 am

Out with the old media, and in with the NEW MEDIA. That 2 word phrase was actually in my college degree, so I have to pretend it has meaning.

I'm hooked on all the short story casts - pseudopod, escapepod, podcastle, the drabblecast (of course), well told tales, Hall of Mirrors, and Variant Frequencies. It gets almost overwhelming, but since I barely ever pick up print novels, it keeps me feeling semi-literate, with only my ear-holes, and not my eye-holes. I value that.

planish

Post by planish » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:49 am

My iPod used to be filled with obscure Indie music, Industrial, '60s Rock, and Classical music.

Now it's about 40% Surf Guitar music, 10% Classical (mostly late 19th-early 20th C chamber music), 20% podiobooks, and 30% podcasts. Oh, and a couple of selections from some Tuvan throatsinging CDs.

I keep the music for when I have to pay close attention to some activity.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:29 am

You guys make me glad I'm picky. I listen to a bunch, then take only the best for any given mood. But I find what suffers much more than TV is reading. I'm way behind.

Currently on my list, in Alphabet Soup:
Discovery's Friday News Feedbag
DC
Friday Night Comedy from Radio 4
MAKE Magazine
Newshour
NPR Krulwich on Science
NPR Cartalk
NPR Unger report (just ended)
Onion radio and video
Podcacher
PRI: The World Tech
Hooting Yard
Science Friday
TERRA
WNYC's Radio Lab
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:47 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:TV? Why would anyone watch TV?

Podcasts, video games, music, movies, good-ol paper books: TV just can't compete.
With the advent of DVR and Tivo, TV has become just another Podcast portal, imo.

Can't wait til my next fix of the "Lost" podcast.

What's up with that island, anyway.

jonathancg

Post by jonathancg » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:18 am

Right now it's several for me, including:

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
Dan Carlin -- Common Sense
History.com -- Military podcast
Variant Frequencies (they've run some of my stuff, too)
Drabblecast
Escape Pod
Pseudopod
Well Told Tales
Astronomy Cast
IndieFeed- Electronica
The Wiire
Author of "On Dasher", "Old Clara's Favorites", and a host of other tales available online and in print. Check out my site at http://jonathancg.net

DougallStrange

There is no such thing as having too Many Podcasts

Post by DougallStrange » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:35 am

For me (I work for 40hrs a week in a room filing) there might not be enough. after I have listened to 60 Mins, A history of Scotland, Around Comics, Backstory, Common Sense with Dan Carlin, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, How to Succeed in Evil, Naked Archaeology, NPR's Car Talk, NPR's Wait Wait don't tell me, Science Friday, Fresh Air, Pseudopod, Stuff You missed in history class, Stuff You Should Know, The Bugle, The DrabbleCast, The History of Rome, This American life, Tom Vs The Flash, Variant Frequencies, And Well told tales.(this usually gets me to Wednesday) I have to go searching for new sources of entertainment. Luckily I have only recently discovered some of them so I have backlog (Drabblecast count 40 episodes) What I am saying is more great Podcasts are needed not less.
Unnamable Cthuloid horrors, crumble rock, rusts scissors and inscribes paper with blasphemous secrets that cause your eyeballs to explode while your tongue catches fire from the unholy hymns your crazed mind forces you to scream out.