Drabblecast feed

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
normsherman
Site Admin

Drabblecast feed

Postby normsherman » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:12 pm

Hey folks,

I've been getting a decent amount of email from listeners who can't get the Drabblecast feed because the format is m4a, mp4 etc rather than the standard mp3.
Iweb, the software I use to publish Drabblecast, publishes exclusively as m4a (itunes-because mac wants to take over the world) so people who use winamp or things can't get it.
Not sure if anyone can think of a solution or knows of any good discussion threads, but the only things I can think of are A. Rebuild everything and start a new feed using different software that can publish mp3 or B. Start a new mp3 feed and just have two Drabblecast feeds.
Both are kind of annoying so I thought I'd chuck this out there for alternative ideas.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Mr. Tweedy

Postby Mr. Tweedy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:00 pm

Well, personally, I'd tell those people to update their software. Mp4 is pretty standard nowadays, and not Apple exclusive. The most recent versions of all the major media players play mp4. I, personally, have never run across a player that doesn't.

So, that's my 2¢: iTunes is free. Winamp is free. Real Player is free. Windows Media Player is free. If your player doesn't play mp4, get a better player.

If some listeners are still running Windows 95 or something... Well, new computers have never been cheaper!
Advertise in this space!

cammoblammo

Postby cammoblammo » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:59 pm

I would prefer to get an mp3 download, whether it's through a separate feed or whatever. Simply put -- my* iPod Shuffle doesn't know what to do with an m4a file, and I'm not about to spend more than I have on a portable music device. Mp3, for better for worse, is at least guaranteed to play on every portable device out there.

Moreover, I run GNU/Linux, and I'm not too happy about mp3s (patents and so on -- I'm sure you've heard it all before) but m4as are more drama again. It's not just a matter of trying a different player -- getting the codec turned out to a be a little harder than I expected. Once I tracked that down all my players can play them.

Once I got that sorted out I had to write a script to convert the m4a to mp3 so I could put it on the iPod. It's not a huge headache, but more work than I expected.

*According to the specs the Shuffle can play m4a, but I'm yet to see it work on mine.

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:24 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Well, personally, I'd tell those people to update their software. Mp4 is pretty standard nowadays, and not Apple exclusive. The most recent versions of all the major media players play mp4. I, personally, have never run across a player that doesn't.

So, that's my 2¢: iTunes is free. Winamp is free. Real Player is free. Windows Media Player is free. If your player doesn't play mp4, get a better player.

If some listeners are still running Windows 95 or something... Well, new computers have never been cheaper!

Those are my thoughts too- everything will probably be in mp6 in another couple years anyways. But we are pretty much the only podcast that has a feed of exclusive mp4 format, and not everyone has the patience or know-how of cammoblammo to convert formats or what have you. Gotta make it as easy and accessible as possible for folks. I was hoping sticking downloadable mp3's in the "Warehouse" page would meet the complaints but people like their casts delivered to them (understandably.) Two feeds is more work and harder to keep track of subscribers and stuff. I'm going to see if IWeb 08 has taken care of this- although I've heard some horror stories about it so far.
"Give us all some Jelly"

jundelacruz

Link to the MP3 on the warehouse page

Postby jundelacruz » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:59 pm

Can you provide a link in the feed to the mp3 on the warehouse page? So the m4a will still be the enclosure, but there will be a link that says MP3 Click Here in the description of the story.

Return to “Podcasts and suchforth”