Addiction danger?

In case of Emergency, please break glass...
pamdemonia

Addiction danger?

Postby pamdemonia » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:50 am

So this is my first post. And I am hoping for some help from some of you more experienced people. Because I have a serious problem. Because of the archive. Which should, really, have some sort of warning on it.

Wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. I should really start from the beginning.

My name is Pam and I'm addicted to a podcast. This podcast. I have been listening to podcasts since around 2004. Mainly comedy, The Sound of Young America empire, and more recently such things as WTF and Never Not Funny and the Nerdist. Plus all the time-shifting NPR/CBC/PRI/BBC type things. But in the last couple of months I discovered the magic world of fiction podcasting. No need to go into it here, but suffice to say I wound up at the Drabblecast within the last month or so. Mainly because of Mr. Sherman's voice on Escape Pod. I couldn't get enough of it. Then I hear about the archives. This was maybe a week ago. Now I was laid off a month ago, (I work in construction as an Electrician, so it's not that uncommon to get these layoffs) and it has really got me down this time. So I don't really do much all day except draw and sleep too much and listen to the Drabblecast. All of them. In order. Sometimes a few times each. Starting when I wake up and ending after I fall asleep. We're talking saturation here. Taking my phone with me to the bathroom (it's my current mp3 player) even. Now I'm closing in on the end of the supply and I am not sure what to do. I have a sort of low level background of Norm Sherman in my head at all times.

So I am hoping that there is help for me out there. And I am pleading with you to PUT A WARNING LABEL on the archives. Thank you for your time.

That is all.

pam

jannypie

Re: Addiction danger?

Postby jannypie » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:03 pm

Yeahhhh. Welcome, Pam, to the world of Norm Sherman. Next you should listen to his CD, because the songs are funny and you get to listen to his voice sing funny stuff. I met Norm at a con and at one point was standing between him and Phil Rossi having a conversation. I have no idea what they said but I was in auditory heaven. And told them so. Many times. And if you haven't heard any of Phil Rossi's stuff, that can be your next addiction.
----
Reality is stranger than fiction... except on The Drabblecast.

swamp

Postby swamp » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:01 pm

There is always the Dribblecast, the unofficial Drabblecast fan podcast. You can just listen, or you can get in on the action and record some stories yourself.

There's also the new Cast Macbre (Norm read a story there).
Sounds like you've already familiar with the three Escape Artists podcasts. How about the Dunesteef?

There's also a bunch listed in this thread.

jannypie

Postby jannypie » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:06 pm

Podcasts: where the okay response to "i'm an addict" is always "here, have more"
----
Reality is stranger than fiction... except on The Drabblecast.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:33 am

jannypie wrote:Podcasts: where the okay response to "i'm an addict" is always "here, have more"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hello Pam. Welcome to this little trap.

I ration new episodes of the Drabblecast, because some days you just need it. You are not the first person to confess to having troubles, which the DC helped lift you up from. The key is not to become a stalker, but instead let Norm tell ya that "Hey, you think YOUR life is bad/strange/messed up? Well, get over it buddy, 'cause the whole world is that way."
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

pamdemonia

Postby pamdemonia » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:50 am

tbaker2500 wrote:You are not the first person to confess to having troubles, which the DC helped lift you up from. The key is not to become a stalker, but instead let Norm tell ya that "Hey, you think YOUR life is bad/strange/messed up? Well, get over it buddy, 'cause the whole world is that way."

I don't think I said it had helped. Although maybe it has. Sorta. If it was helping, it wouldn't be an addiction.

But, no, really, I know my tone is not playing in text, and I am actually NOT trying to be a jerk. I swear.

So, yeah, thanks so much for all your feedback.

And I still think you need a warning sign.

jannypie wrote:Yeahhhh. Welcome, Pam, to the world of Norm Sherman. I met Norm at a con and at one point was standing between him and Phil Rossi having a conversation. I have no idea what they said but I was in auditory heaven.

wow. that truly sounds amazing.

that is all

pam

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:56 am

pamdemonia wrote:I don't think I said it had helped. Although maybe it has. Sorta. If it was helping, it wouldn't be an addiction.

But, no, really, I know my tone is not playing in text, and I am actually NOT trying to be a jerk. I swear.

So, yeah, thanks so much for all your feedback.

And I still think you need a warning sign.

Hee hee.. You didn't sound like a jerk. I wasn't trying to either. I believe tongue-in-beak is the phrase.

pamdemonia

Postby pamdemonia » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:58 am

so just to follow up on all of this, I got a call today, and I'm starting work on Monday. AND I discovered that there were episodes I hadn't listened to yet! Yay! Not that I'm no longer an addict, but at least now I can be a high functioning addict, with a job and everything.....

that is all

pam

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Congratulations Pam! Make those electrons go where you say!

alhilton

Postby alhilton » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:44 am

Welcome, Pam! You've found the best short story podcast. It's all downhill from here. ;) Actually, there are some other good ones, just not *this* good.

If you want to listen to more Norm, check out my podcast, The Guild of the Cowry Catchers. Norm plays a charismatic rascal named Silveo who talks a lot.

pamdemonia

Postby pamdemonia » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:49 am

If you want to listen to more Norm, check out my podcast, The Guild of the Cowry Catchers. Norm plays a charismatic rascal named Silveo who talks a lot.

Oh Ms. Hilton, do NOT make me recount a rather umm vivid dream I had involving a flashily dressed kfoxling and a former pirate and myself aboard some sort of sailing vessel. So you are also involved in this addiction as well!

Return to “Drabblecast Fan Archive”