Announcing the Weekly Tw(itter)-(Dr)abble Contest!

Submit 100 character stories for the weekly contest
Locked

Do you like twit-fic?

Yes
44
80%
No
2
4%
We'll see
9
16%
 
Total votes: 55

User avatar
moonowl
Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: A WISH THAT CAME TRUE:

Post by moonowl » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:31 pm

TheJebi wrote:Alone on the decimated battlefield, I wipe my blade clean. I'm the best warrior now. The genie actually didn't screw me.
Why does this remind me of "Hello, said the stick" ?
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

User avatar
TheJebi
Member
Posts: 237
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:17 am

Re: A WISH THAT CAME TRUE:

Post by TheJebi » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:41 pm

moonowl wrote:
TheJebi wrote:Alone on the decimated battlefield, I wipe my blade clean. I'm the best warrior now. The genie actually didn't screw me.
Why does this remind me of "Hello, said the stick" ?
I really liked that story.
I suppose they are similar in that they both feature a lone soldier type, and barren landscape.
“I’m not TheJebi because I like the hum of a lightsaber in my hand… and I’m not TheJebi because I like being TheJebi. I’m TheJebi because the Galaxy needs me to be TheJebi.”

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3516
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Re: Announcing the Weekly Tw(itter)-(Dr)abble Contest!

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:16 am

F5iver wrote:
strawman wrote:Albert imagined he could hear the universe's orchestra.
Eyes closed, he directed his attention to the string section.
CONGRATULATIONS!
I cheered and re-tweeted this one.
Yeah, congrats Strawman. I was stunned when I learned that this is your first twitfic win. About time.

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3516
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Arthur Schopenhauer is Rolling in His Grave.

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:26 am

The stages of all truths are:
1) Ridicule.
2) Violent opposition.
3) Called "self-evident".
4) Totally F'd, on the web.

User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Announcing the Weekly Tw(itter)-(Dr)abble Contest!

Post by dreamrock » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:45 am

"Give the gift of misunderstanding!" Seemed like a good idea. Expensive. She'd love it. If only it had been for just her.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
TheJebi
Member
Posts: 237
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:17 am

Re: Arthur Schopenhauer is Rolling in His Grave.

Post by TheJebi » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:26 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:The stages of all truths are:
1) Ridicule.
2) Violent opposition.
3) Called "self-evident".
4) Totally F'd, on the web.
Scratching my head (confused) on 3)
Laughing Out Loud on 4)
“I’m not TheJebi because I like the hum of a lightsaber in my hand… and I’m not TheJebi because I like being TheJebi. I’m TheJebi because the Galaxy needs me to be TheJebi.”

User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Arthur Schopenhauer is Rolling in His Grave.

Post by dreamrock » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:29 am

TheJebi wrote:
Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:The stages of all truths are:
1) Ridicule.
2) Violent opposition.
3) Called "self-evident".
4) Totally F'd, on the web.
Scratching my head (confused) on 3)
Laughing Out Loud on 4)
"We hold these truths to be self-evident." Declaration of Independence, I think.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3516
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Re: Arthur Schopenhauer is Rolling in His Grave.

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:34 am

dreamrock wrote:
TheJebi wrote:
Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:The stages of all truths are:
1) Ridicule.
2) Violent opposition.
3) Called "self-evident".
4) Totally F'd, on the web.
Scratching my head (confused) on 3)
Laughing Out Loud on 4)
"We hold these truths to be self-evident." Declaration of Independence, I think.
Not quite. Google Arthur Schopenhauer. 100 characters can't do him justice.

Consider: If I told you that the Earth orbits the Sun, you would probably say, "Duh!" -- as would almost anybody you could ask. But there was a time when expressing such views would get you killed.

Nowadays, you will find any position argued rabidly, somewhere on the web, and the most insane ideas have slick presentations and militant supporters, just a few clicks away.

Whole classes of people make their living or even their being, based on lies. Searching online it is getting ever harder to determine the truth of any given issue (solely by online data, anyway).

User avatar
TheJebi
Member
Posts: 237
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:17 am

Re: Announcing the Weekly Tw(itter)-(Dr)abble Contest!

Post by TheJebi » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:35 am

dreamrock wrote:"Give the gift of misunderstanding!" Seemed like a good idea. Expensive. She'd love it. If only it had been for just her.
Just confused , though I'm sure I'm missing (I'm misunderstanding) something.
“I’m not TheJebi because I like the hum of a lightsaber in my hand… and I’m not TheJebi because I like being TheJebi. I’m TheJebi because the Galaxy needs me to be TheJebi.”

User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Announcing the Weekly Tw(itter)-(Dr)abble Contest!

Post by dreamrock » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:46 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:Not quite. Google Arthur Schopenhauer. 100 characters can't do him justice.
Ah. I'm vaguely familiar with Schopenhauer, but haven't actually read any of his work. I'll have to add him to my list.
TheJebi wrote:Just confused , though I'm sure I'm missing (I'm misunderstanding) something.
It's probably too large a concept for 100 characters. :oops: The underlying concept is that misunderstanding didn't exist in the universe until a well-meaning moron decided to buy it for his girlfriend. Thus starting the basis of all communication failure. :lol:
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3516
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Re: Announcing the Weekly Tw(itter)-(Dr)abble Contest!

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:04 am

dreamrock wrote:
TheJebi wrote:Just confused , though I'm sure I'm missing (I'm misunderstanding) something.
It's probably too large a concept for 100 characters. :oops: The underlying concept is that misunderstanding didn't exist in the universe until a well-meaning moron decided to buy it for his girlfriend. Thus starting the basis of all communication failure. :lol:
Yep, it's always the broads that do it to us. Eve with her apple, Pandora with her box, and this girlfriend who couldn't control her gift. :wink:

I guess this didn't work for me because I couldn't grok the idea that "misunderstanding" would ever be considered a good thing to give.

Perhaps:
"This gift is better than understanding; it's misunderstanding!"
Adam obtained it for Eve. If only she hadn't bred it.

User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Announcing the Weekly Tw(itter)-(Dr)abble Contest!

Post by dreamrock » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:19 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:I guess this didn't work for me because I couldn't grok the idea that "misunderstanding" would ever be considered a good thing to give.
People seem to be rather fond of misunderstanding though. Having worked in the service industry, I've seen a lot of people work pretty hard at misunderstanding people.
Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:Perhaps:
"This gift is better than understanding; it's misunderstanding!"
Adam obtained it for Eve. If only she hadn't bred it.
:D Reminds me of Gremlins.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
strawman
Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Announcing the Weekly Tw(itter)-(Dr)abble Contest!

Post by strawman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:27 pm

That's what happens when you screw around in Eden. In God's hands, the fruit was from the tree of knowledge. But of course, to Eve and Adam, desiring it because wanting to be like God, it would become the fruit of the tree of misunderstanding.

Caveat emptor.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3516
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Climbing Trees Takes Work

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:42 pm

Knowledge is a tree, with leaves and branches. But deceit is a web, ensnaring all, and poisoning its often willing prey.

User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Announcing the Weekly Tw(itter)-(Dr)abble Contest!

Post by dreamrock » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:02 pm

I drew a bright dividing line across the apartment.

Petty? Maybe.

Ineffective?

Not when a thirtieth level mage drew it.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

juliasd
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Climbing Trees Takes Work

Post by juliasd » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:18 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:Knowledge is a tree, with leaves and branches. But deceit is a web, ensnaring all, and poisoning its often willing prey.
That's an awesome on, Algernon. Extremely deep. I've read it a few times now and I like it more each time!

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3516
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Re: Announcing the Weekly Tw(itter)-(Dr)abble Contest!

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:30 am

Thanks; glad you liked it.

Remember:
People will yakkity yak a streak and waste your time of day.
But, Mr. Dead will never speak unless he has something to say!

juliasd
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Announcing the Weekly Tw(itter)-(Dr)abble Contest!

Post by juliasd » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:48 am

dreamrock wrote:I drew a bright dividing line across the apartment.

Petty? Maybe.

Ineffective?

Not when a thirtieth level mage drew it.
Nice one. I hope you got the side with the bathroom and the kitchen.

juliasd
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Grandpa Demands Global Warming

Post by juliasd » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:50 am

It is 20 degrees colder in Indiana this year than last year. Granddad asks, “When do we get that global warming out here?”

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3516
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Re: Grandpa Demands Global Warming

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:58 am

juliasd wrote:It is 20 degrees colder in Indiana this year than last year. Granddad asks, “When do we get that global warming out here?”
We control the journals, destroy the data and fabricate the results. It's climate change! Freeze or burn, you will die.

Locked