Strange but true: Good movies coming out this summer!

Would have beena great fiction story...if it was fiction
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

DVDs realeased this summer

Post by Kevin Anderson » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:20 pm

If the Happening didn't deliver that apocalyptic fix that you crave - then may I suggest two DVDs that came out in the last few months.

First, out his month - The Signal. This one did great the past few years on the festival circuit and is now available on DVD. Don't look for deep understanding about why or from whom, just take the ride. This one is a heart pounding ride peppered with moments of awkward humor and, well, a descend amount of blood. This flick really taps into what for me is the most important question in any apocalyptic story - I'm not interested in why it is happening, I'm interested in, who will we become while it is happening.

Another one from several months back, new on DVD, is Dead Moon Rising. Fangoria did a great write up on this very indie, very low budget Zombie flick. If you can get past the low budget, the not so scary Zombie make up, some bad audio, then you might enjoy the good writing and the overall humor and effort (blood, sweat, and credit) by the filmmakers.

And one more, not apocalyptic, but bloody, funny and full of surprises - a UK slasher flick - The Cottage. Lots of fun, gore, not for everyone.
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:52 pm

It just struck me that all these movies about people going nuts and killing themselves/each other sound reminiscent of a couple of Biblical accounts where God destroyed armies by making them do that very thing. What exactly does it look like when the Angel of Lord smites people? Seems like people going nuts and beating each other to death is probably exactly what it would look like...

I'd seen some ads for "The Signal." It looked interesting. Assuming that I have a high tolerance for gore in general but a low tolerance for sadistic Eli Roth "gorno" stuff* and the smut/sex that usually goes with it, should I be interested?

*I.e. I'm not necessarily opposed to seeing people getting sliced up, but I don't want to see a movie that's about people getting sliced up.
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:25 pm

Man, that is SO disappointing to hear about the Happening. I was really looking forward to it.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:10 am

normsherman wrote:Man, that is SO disappointing to hear about the Happening. I was really looking forward to it.
I liked it.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:14 am

Kevin Anderson wrote:
normsherman wrote:Man, that is SO disappointing to hear about the Happening. I was really looking forward to it.
I liked it.
Awesome. All hope is not lost. I was going to see it regardless but wanted to be excited about it at least.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:24 am

Kevin Anderson wrote:
I liked it.
Because you enjoy movies that suck (lots of people do) or because you really thought it was good? Will there be a Kevin review? :?: :?:
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:02 am

Just saw it. I rate it better than his worst (the Village) but not great. It had some very effective affecting scenes, a cool overall concept, several "oh please" moments, some laughable over-the-top violence and a general lack of subtlety. It could have been just as mediocre as a Pg13 movie (and I'm the last person who would normally think that!)

You'll wish it was better than it is but you also won't want to leave for 30 seconds to go pee, even if you really have to go.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:58 pm

normsherman wrote:I rate it better than his worst (the Village) but not great.
I really liked The Village. :cry:
Advertise in this space!

adam

Post by adam » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:06 pm

has anyone seen The Fall*? i just saw it the other day and thought it was pretty much brilliant. i'm not an 'indie' film snob by any means, and child actors almost always get on my nerves to an extreme degree, but the little girl in this one was pretty amazing, and the story had enough layers and subtext to really keep me thinking and enjoying it a good while afterwards. i'd be interested to know what you guys thought, if it made it to any theaters around you. it's a bit lengthy though so if you're feeling antcy save it for a patient mood.

*Link added by moderator.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:21 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:
normsherman wrote:I rate it better than his worst (the Village) but not great.
I really liked The Village. :cry:
I liked it ok too, just was my least fav M. Night movie. Heard an interview that he did on NPR before the movie came out and he said he was going for "The best B-Movie you've ever seen."

Might explain some things.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:36 pm

How about Wall - E? Has anyone seen that yet? The reviews I've read are alll positive. Will definitely hit that movie with me lads soon.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:51 pm

We're planning to go on Friday. (Day off - Independence Day. USA! USA!)
Advertise in this space!

bolddeceiver

Post by bolddeceiver » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:42 am

It's fantastic. Best Pixar yet, best children's movie so far this decade, maybe best sci-fi so far this decade.

Go see it.
...the pagoda-like enclosure, where Japanese sand-badgers disported themselves...

Drabbling Daily

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:00 am

Better than the Incredibles?

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:38 pm

Kevin Anderson wrote:Better than the Incredibles?
I would say yes. Took the famn damily to it last night. We all loved it. Neat sci-fi elements. Loved the way the space faring humans were portrayed. Very well done.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:56 pm

Wall-E = Awsome.

I would say it's as good as The Incredibles. Wall-E has better artwork and a better concept, but it has a total lack of quotable lines to remember it by. 4 Stars for each.

Shyamalan has faltered, but Pixar still stands tall.
Advertise in this space!

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:45 am

Alright! All movies checked off my list.

The Dark Knight: Yeah, all that stuff everybody says about it is true. It's that good. Misses out on the 4-star rating because of a few cartoonish impossibilities marring the otherwise dire mood and because Two-Face looks way fake. I also think the story seemed kind of choppy and rushed in places, like they'd made a three hour movie that really needed all three hours, but then they had to hack out 30 minutes of it to make time. But those are isolated complaints amidst a fantastic whole. The movie succeeds so well because it never once stoops to being merely an action movie. It's a complex crime drama full of intense moments, extreme characters and portent moral questions... and it also happens to have a dude in a black cape tearing up the streets on an armored motorcycle with 40-inch tires, grappling hooks and auto-cannons. That's what the phrase "best of both worlds" was made to describe. 3.5 stars.

Hellboy 2: I loved this movie. It was so much fun. Throughout its entire runtime, there was never more than a ten minute stretch when I wasn't laughing out loud at one of the many clever jokes, in surprise at the grotesque awesomeness of the creatures on screen or at the self-conscious ridiculousness of the whole concept.

Example: The first scene in the movie show a young Hellboy watching the Howdy Doody Show. The red-skinned, stone-armed, horned monstrosity expresses his hope to one day meet Howdy Doody in person, but he is gently informed that Howdy Doody is not real. Unlike Hellboy, Howdy Doody is mere fantasy.

Hellboy is then read a story about the Legend of the Golden Army, a bloody and tragic tale about the prehistoric conflict between man and elf. We are privy to Hellboy's imaginings, in which all the war and sorrow of the legend is acted out... with wooden marionettes.

Yeah, well, it's a lot funnier if you actually see it. Lets see you try to describe a funny movie scene so it stays funny, huh? Huh?

A character I particularly enjoyed has no body. He's just a cloud of ectoplasm occupying an empty suit. And he speaks with the prissiest Germans accent ever.

Okay, so the point is, the movie is really fun. It's like a kids movie for kids who are 30. Go see it. 3 Stars.

It has been a great summer for movies, and I didn't even see all the ones I was interested in. Would that Hollywood showered us with such bounty every year! :D
Advertise in this space!

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:08 am

I've got to agree with your summary of the Dark Knight, but I'd probably give it 4.5 out of five. Heath Ledger's performance was one of the best I've seen from an actor in a very long time.

I'm going to check out some of the other Batman movies, although I am fully aware they are all quite different from one another. I have a bit of catching up to do---the only other Batman movie I've seen involved Adam West and a big can of shark repellent.

The only problem I have with the Dark Knight isn't with the movie---it's with the merchandise that's being flogged to kids. This ain't a kid's movie.

(Oh yeah, the other movie I've seen this winter is Mamma Mia. I was pleasantly surprised. For a musical that involves Greco-Shakespearean-style comedy and actors who can't sing, it really wasn't too bad. I might even let my wife buy the DVD.)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:30 pm

cammoblammo wrote: (Oh yeah, the other movie I've seen this winter is Mamma Mia. I was pleasantly surprised. For a musical that involves Greco-Shakespearean-style comedy and actors who can't sing, it really wasn't too bad. I might even let my wife buy the DVD.)
This is, I suppose, to balance out her coing to see the Dark Knight?

I loved Jay Leno's sketch for the summer blockbuster for both guys and women:

Mummy Mia.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:53 pm

cammoblammo wrote:I've got to agree with your summary of the Dark Knight, but I'd probably give it 4.5 out of five. Heath Ledger's performance was one of the best I've seen from an actor in a very long time.
I was using 4-star scale.
Advertise in this space!