When the Future Starts

Would have beena great fiction story...if it was fiction
strawman

When the Future Starts

Post by strawman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:17 pm

"The future begins as soon as Congress and the president act."
-T. Boone Pickens, NY Times Energy Ad

God having apparently not received the memo, the act of congress authorizing today's sunrise will have to be made retroactive. Until then, tomorrow will officially be today, and today will be yesterday.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

bolddeceiver

Post by bolddeceiver » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:36 am

It's worse... the ad itself requires that the condition, "Congress and the president act," has not yet been satisfied; therefore, since it has not been satisfied in the past and is not in the present, if it ever is satisfied, this must happen in the future; however, the future does not exist unless the condition is satisfied -- therefore, it can never be be satisfied and the future can never happen.

Oh wait, we're saved, because it's always "the present," so it doesn't matter that the future never happens, because that's always been the case. Though if that's so, then Time As We Know It might be fucked up beyond all recongnition if they do act...
...the pagoda-like enclosure, where Japanese sand-badgers disported themselves...

Drabbling Daily

adam

Post by adam » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:06 am

but if they authorized the sunrise retroactively then there is no "until then," in a retroactive sense it's only "since then." and since then, todays authorization coming from yesterday has been based on the assumption that today would be their then tomorrow, making the present the future. if tomorrow must likewise be our today, due to congress' untimely processing, then a today will never be.
so i must disagree with you bd. it is the present which never happens, not the future. the future has always happened- the past is pretty much proof of that.
god never got the memo because by the time he was going to get it, it was already the future. i want to know how the hell T. Boone Pickens came across it though- he's the one beyond space and time.