Town Fights Cricket Plague With Led Zeppelin

Would have beena great fiction story...if it was fiction
jay4

Town Fights Cricket Plague With Led Zeppelin

Post by jay4 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:59 am

Verbatim from Slashdot:

"The residents of Tuscarora, Nevada are getting ready to fight the annual invasion of mormon crickets with the power of Rock-N-Roll. Trial and error has shown that the crickets don't think much of Led Zeppelin or the Rolling Stones. The residents circle the town with boomboxes at regular intervals to drive off the millions of crickets. "It is part of our arsenal. You'll wake up and there'll be one sitting on your forehead, looking at you." says Laura Moore, an unemployed college professor and one of the town's 13 residents. The crickets devastate crops, cause slicks on the highway and evidently love rap."

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl? ... 28/1633208

"... and evidently love rap."
Now I REALLY hate crickets!
jay4

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:48 am

<IgnoreMe>Indeed, we should all be alert. The robot menace is documented here The Register: ROTM.

Particularly horifying "Tumble dryer bites woman in Weston-super-Mare" and "Motorised meat-smoker droid vigilante patrols Atlanta".</IgnoreMe>

Edit: Ignore me I'm talking gibberish

StalinSays
Beast-Master

hrm

Post by StalinSays » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:36 pm

Mormon Crickets though - shouldn't they like 'worship' songs, and dislike rap as much as they would rock?

I say they skip the boom boxes and host a Phish concert.

jay4

Re: hrm

Post by jay4 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:25 pm

StalinSays wrote:Mormon Crickets though - shouldn't they like 'worship' songs, and dislike rap as much as they would rock?

I say they skip the boom boxes and host a Phish concert.
An unfortunate side-effect of hosting a Phish concert is dealing with the plague of Deadhead rejects afterwards.

Wouldn't that yodeler guy from "Mars Attacks" work better?

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Sun May 03, 2009 12:25 am

Well, at least it is Led Zep and the Rolling Stones the crickets don't like. I would hate to live in a town where the residents are driving around all day with boomboxes blaring the Jonas Brothers or Miley.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun May 03, 2009 1:15 am

We need to locate us a kid in need of a science project, and get him to play those crickets some Norm Sherman bbardles.
The tri-fold on a card table in the gym: "Sherman superior to Zepplin beating off mormon crickets". Or: "Mormon crickets attracted to Sherman Bbardles"
Blue ribbon, here we come.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"