Captain lands a plane with one arm...

Would have beena great fiction story...if it was fiction
Spindaddy

Captain lands a plane with one arm...

Postby Spindaddy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:48 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pi ... id-4047312

I cant even fly a plane with 2 arms...even in a video game.
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.

strawman

Re: Captain lands a plane with one arm...

Postby strawman » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:33 pm

It's totally unacceptable to comment of physical disabilities. Which means Flybe better not hire Stephen Hawking to pilot my flight to Dublin without filling me up with complimentary Guiness.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:36 pm

That idiot is being hailed as a "hero" (oh, how far we've fallen) when he should be in jail on reckless endangerment charges.

The correct procedure would have been to instruct the co pilot to "go around" and land the plane properly.

This is the kind of BS behavior that kills pilots and passengers every year. They're lucky that they got off with just a rough landing this time.

strawman

Postby strawman » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:46 am

You know why concourses are so damn long these days?
It's the jumbo jet handicapped parking spaces.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

SpareInch

Postby SpareInch » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:07 pm

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:That idiot is being hailed as a "hero" (oh, how far we've fallen) when he should be in jail on reckless endangerment charges.

The correct procedure would have been to instruct the co pilot to "go around" and land the plane properly.

This is the kind of BS behavior that kills pilots and passengers every year. They're lucky that they got off with just a rough landing this time.

It was a British airport, ASID. If a pilot's license works anything like a driving license over here, you have to recklessly endanger people's lives several times before they even think of withdrawing it.

Anyway, it says The Captain decided his copilot didn't have time to assess the situation... I always thought the copilot's job was to stay abreast of what was going on, especially during takeoff and landing, so he/she could take over at a moment's notice. Perhaps they should both be locked up?

And was I the only one who was thinking as I read this, of that scene from the movie Reach For The Skies, where Bader can't escape from his doomed plane because his false leg is stuck under the rudder pedal?
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:59 pm

SpareInch wrote:Anyway, it says The Captain decided his copilot didn't have time to assess the situation... I always thought the copilot's job was to stay abreast of what was going on, especially during takeoff and landing, so he/she could take over at a moment's notice. Perhaps they should both be locked up?

Yes, and pilots are trained to abort landings in an instant's notice if something is not right.
Forgetting this training is one of the leading contributors to aviation accidents as documented by the NTSB.

Spindaddy

Postby Spindaddy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:50 am

Wow.. you know I never thought about that. I just figured 'Hey that's pretty cool."

Then again, I hate flying so this really is just another excuse to stick in my hip pocket when someone asks me if I want to fly somewhere.
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.

Return to “Drabblenews”