GOOD NEWS TURNS BAD

Would have beena great fiction story...if it was fiction
Mr. Tweedy

GOOD NEWS TURNS BAD

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:17 pm

This isn't really Drabble news, but it is nerd news, and I suspect I'm not the only one here who feels passionately about nerdy things.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10594014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

A womAn in New Zealand was fired for repeatedly sending inter-office emails written in ALL CAPS.

IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, YOU BROKE INTO A BIG GRIN AT THIS NEWS, BECAUSE THE ONLY THING MORE IRRITATING THAN PEOPLE TYPIGN IN ALL CAPS IS WHEN THEY ADD OBNOXIOUS FORMATTING AND USE GRATUITOUS EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!

But, alas, the good news turns bad, because this woman succeeded in suing her employer for wrongful termination. :(

THE INJUSTICE!!!

When I worked at the Evil Newspaper, I had to work with one client who always wrote in all caps and used gratuitous exclamation points. So I'd get email like this:

THE COLOR FOR THE HEADLINE WRONG!!!! I CANT READ IT!!!! CHANGE IT TO DARK GREEN!!!!

At first I assumed this client suffered from a condition of eternal PMS, but I gradually realized that it was just the way she (mis)communicated, because she'd send me things like "I THINK THE HEADLINE LOOKS MUCH BETTER NOW!!!! GOOD WORK!!!!" When I realized she was just "shouting" for no reason at all, I decided to mention to her that typing in all caps is generally considered rude and makes you sound hostile. Her response was "I KNOW BUT IM TOO LAZY TO BOTHER WITH THE SHIFT KEY!!!!"

And that's all I have to say about that.
Advertise in this space!

zZzacha

Re: GOOD NEWS TURNS BAD

Post by zZzacha » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:02 pm

LOL! I absolutely agree with your aversion to CAPS. And I kept LOL'ing when I read your anecdote.

My mother used to shout very loud in her text messages too, it made me feel like I was a little kid again, having done something very, very wrong. These days, with the nice new smart phones, the phone does the work for her: just one nice cap at the start of a sentence.
I am starting to get bothered by her use of T9, though. She keeps calling me Racia in her text messages because she doesn't know how to skip to the next opted word.

Ah, technology. I wonder what I'll think of new technologies when they start going way over my own head. I guess I'll think: "Boy, I'm getting old... I'll blog about it, see if my friends want to LOL with me"
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:08 am

Yeah, what the hell is wrong with these "all caps" people? I work with someone that sends her emails in all caps, you would think that getting email from 50 other people every day that is formatted normally would be a hint that typing in all caps is idiotic. Nope.
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:36 am

Goldenrat wrote:Yeah, what the hell is wrong with these "all caps" people?
They never quite grasped the capitalization rules taught in elementary school and figure they have the perfect out. Look, Kanye does it, and he's a millionaire.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:12 am

<GRUMPYOLDMANRANT>
WHEN I WAS A YOUNGSTER I DIDN'T HAVE NO FLIBBLE-DEE FLABBIN LOWER CASE ON MY ADM3A AND I GOT ALONG JUST FINE.

YOU FLABBY KIDS ALWAYS WITH THE "OUCH, YOUR HURTING MY EYES" AND YOUR "STOP SHOUTING AT ME'S" MAKES ME WONDER HOW WELL YOU WOULD HAVE MANAGED WALKING THE 20 MILES THROUGH THE SNOW I HAD TO TRAVERSE JUST TO FIX THE WINDMILL THAT POWERED MY ALTAIR 8800A.

DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON YOUR NEW-FANGLED USB KEYCHAIN DONGLE-MAJIGGIES. WE HAD TO STORE OUR DATA ON ROLLS OF PAPER TAPE AND WE WERE DAMN GLAD TO HAVE THAT. IF THE DATA WAS BAD WE'D HANG IT FROM A ROLL IN THE OUT-HOUSE. SURE THOSE LITTLE PUNCH HOLES CHAFF A BIT, BUT I DEFY YOU TO TRY THAT WITH A USB KEYCHAIN-DRIVE. WE WERE BEIN GREEN AND RECYCLING LONG BEFORE THAT UPSTART GORE STARTED WHINING ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING AND DEFORESTATION AND WAH WAH WAH, BLAH-DE-DAH.

AND ANOTHER THING, MAYBE THOSE ALL-CAPS PEOPLE ARE JUST BEING CONSIDERATE OF MY FADING EYE-SIGHT THAT CAN'T MAKE OUT THOSE ^&*$%ING LOWER CASE LETTERS!!!!
<\GRUMPYOLDMANRANT>
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Big Anklevich

Post by Big Anklevich » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:56 pm

DONGLE-MAJIGGIES.

I LOVE IT.

What other word in English sounds like it should be something gross, but actually isn't?