Sponsor a show?

What works for Drabblecast? What doesn't? New ideas? Speak up!
User avatar
moonowl
Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Sponsor a show?

Post by moonowl » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:14 pm

I wonder, instead or along with 'kickass donor of the week' if people would be interested in sponsoring a week of Drabblecast drive? Figure out more or less how much it costs an episode and Norm can make up some funny bullcrap about the donor. This is similar to an adopt a whale/orphan/sheep where the donor proudly gets to point at a cute little episode with sad eyes and say, "I helped that one".
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3612
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:13 am

Ooh! I want to sponsor a squid!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
moonowl
Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by moonowl » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:40 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Ooh! I want to sponsor a squid!

How about a Yeti? Think of the Yeti!
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

User avatar
normsherman
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:58 am

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by normsherman » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:09 am

It's a good idea! Will have to ponder some sort of procedure/structure.

I still like donor of the week because even just your average supporter of the show is intriguing to look into, but a preshow shoutout weighs more than an outro for sure.
"Give us all some Jelly"

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3612
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:49 pm

A side take of this, is I like supporting Heifer international, where you buy an farm animal for a 3rd-world family, to help give them milk, wool, etc. (They have to give offspring of the animal to other members of the village.)

So I like the idea of a fictional buying of a squid, dolphin, etc, to help out weird people.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
alhilton
Member
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by alhilton » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:10 pm

Yeah, this is a concept the podcasting world understands. Escape Artist's podcasts regularly have sponsors (sleep earphones, audible.com). Farpoint Media is plagued with redicluosly long (5 minutes!!) personalized Go-To Meeting adds that you have to fast forward through at the beginning of every show. I think those sponsorships backfire when they get that long. It's not worth hitting the FF button for Steve Elley's Sleep Earphones shpiel, but you definitely have time to find the button while Mike and Mike babble on and on about Go-to Meeting on Dragon Page.

I would guess that to sponsor a show, you must have to pay at least what it cost to buy the story and probably some production costs. The idea of making it into a Sponsor a Squid sort-of-thing is brilliant. :D
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

User avatar
alhilton
Member
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by alhilton » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:11 pm

Of course, the key difference between sponsorship and a donation is that a donation is...well a donation. Sponsorship is the purchase of an add slot. It's a move to advertising.
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by dreamrock » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:48 pm

Yeah, I think if it's a sensible sponsorship blurb it would be fine. It was either Drabblecast or Dunesteef that had one not too long ago for a bed and breakfast and whiskey (totally necessary distinction) in Scotland recently that I thought worked really well. It was short and entertaining, unlike all the various Audible.com, go-to-meeting, and so on ads that I've heard in a lot of places.

In short, I have faith that Norm, Luke, and Kendall can keep it awesome, so I think that sponsorships would be a cool idea.

And if Dr. Pepper is reading, I'm still hoping to get a sponsorship. Another wretched year has passed without it. :(
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
moonowl
Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by moonowl » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:49 pm

Just to clarify, I was hoping we could keep it in the family with 'sponsorships' from listeners.

While I certainly would not object if DC had to take on a corp sponsor, the more we shell out, hopefully the less of a necessity that would be.

Unless the Hubble needed new spinning rims.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3612
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:19 am

moonowl wrote:Just to clarify, I was hoping we could keep it in the family with 'sponsorships' from listeners.

While I certainly would not object if DC had to take on a corp sponsor, the more we shell out, hopefully the less of a necessity that would be.

Unless the Hubble needed new spinning rims.
So no Big Squid?

Hey, I wonder how much the hermit crab industry would shell out?
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
moonowl
Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by moonowl » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:51 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
Hey, I wonder how much the hermit crab industry would shell out?
GAH!

Sponsor a Mythical Megafauna would be fun as well.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

User avatar
themorg
Member
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:52 am
Location: Portland OR

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by themorg » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:18 am

alhilton wrote:Of course, the key difference between sponsorship and a donation is that a donation is...well a donation. Sponsorship is the purchase of an add slot. It's a move to advertising.
The local NPR (as a model) has a larger amount to donate for a Day of sponsorship that they call Underwriter. This being a fiction podcast Underwriter might get confused as if someone co-wrote something. So perhaps calling someone a "Docent of this strange tale" would appeal. I think this would keep it away from traditional comical radio (other than the fire escape episodes) and in a innovative way to pay for norm's (and all of Drabblecast) high quality production. It keeps it would keep it a community paying for strange speculative fiction stories and not 5 min of listening to Go-to-meetings cheaply vialed as "educational promotion."

As a side note the radio station i worked for called Rush and every other program talk program "Educational" when they filed papers with the FCC. When advertising did not sell we played corporate spots or not-for-profit advertisement A.K.A. Tax Write off's. Music and sports was always "Entertainment" and news was...news.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3612
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:31 pm

themorg wrote:I think this would keep it away from traditional comical radio
Lord knows we don't want it to be comical radio!! :D

Otherwise, good points. :lol:
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:20 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:
themorg wrote:I think this would keep it away from traditional comical radio
Lord knows we don't want it to be comical radio!! :D

Otherwise, good points. :lol:
Are you suggesting that Connor Choadsworth isn't a real reporter, and he never travelled to Mongolia?

Or that Norm never really went to the Amazon to report on Candiru noodling?

You're saying these are all elaborate comic hoaxes? :o

I refuse to believe this.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
themorg
Member
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:52 am
Location: Portland OR

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by themorg » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:10 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:Are you suggesting that Connor Choadsworth isn't a real reporter, and he never travelled to Mongolia?

Or that Norm never really went to the Amazon to report on Candiru noodling?

You're saying these are all elaborate comic hoaxes? :o

I refuse to believe this.
not in the least good sir. myself i am thinking of looking him up and giving him my financial aid money for this semester
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:21 pm

themorg wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:Are you suggesting that Connor Choadsworth isn't a real reporter, and he never travelled to Mongolia?

Or that Norm never really went to the Amazon to report on Candiru noodling?

You're saying these are all elaborate comic hoaxes? :o

I refuse to believe this.
not in the least good sir. myself i am thinking of looking him up and giving him my financial aid money for this semester
Phew, well that's a relief. I was afraid you were gonna tell me there is no Santa Clause and that the Mega-Beasts were made up inventions of StalinSays*.

If it leads to more reports from the field, that would be pell grant money well spent. :-)

* (I have the utmost respect for the bravery of that guy, getting so close to those nasty beasts so he can draw them accurately. Unlike Audobon, I don't think he even kills them before drawing them...)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
themorg
Member
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:52 am
Location: Portland OR

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by themorg » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:26 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:Phew, well that's a relief. I was afraid you were gonna tell me there is no Santa Clause and that the Mega-Beasts were made up inventions of StalinSays*.

If it leads to more reports from the field, that would be pell grant money well spent. :-)

* (I have the utmost respect for the bravery of that guy, getting so close to those nasty beasts so he can draw them accurately. Unlike Audobon, I don't think he even kills them before drawing them...)
and continuing to hang out with a guy that did that with Cammel innerds just in case he might find a MDW.
Priceless

but the mega beast is fake... JK
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

User avatar
StalinSays
Beast-Master
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:58 am
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by StalinSays » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:51 am

There's this Narnia style job in my closet. They're real, but in a buffer dimension where we don't gotta worry. It's either the Twilight Zone or the realm of madness from Event Horizon. I haven't figured out which.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

User avatar
normsherman
Site Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:58 am

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by normsherman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:31 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
So I like the idea of a fictional buying of a squid, dolphin, etc, to help out weird people.
Hilarious. Love it.
dreamrock wrote:Yeah, I think if it's a sensible sponsorship blurb it would be fine. It was either Drabblecast or Dunesteef that had one not too long ago for a bed and breakfast and whiskey (totally necessary distinction) in Scotland recently that I thought worked really well. It was short and entertaining, unlike all the various Audible.com, go-to-meeting, and so on ads that I've heard in a lot of places.

In short, I have faith that Norm, Luke, and Kendall can keep it awesome, so I think that sponsorships would be a cool idea.

And if Dr. Pepper is reading, I'm still hoping to get a sponsorship. Another wretched year has passed without it. :(
yah, that was us. That's kind of how I think we'd keep it. Short n sweet and entertaining.
moonowl wrote:Just to clarify, I was hoping we could keep it in the family with 'sponsorships' from listeners.

While I certainly would not object if DC had to take on a corp sponsor, the more we shell out, hopefully the less of a necessity that would be.

Unless the Hubble needed new spinning rims.
Totally. If Go-to or match.com asked to be a sponsor we'd be like "eh...would we be allowed to make fun of you in it?" I hate annoying unrelated ads. It'll never happen on our show.
"Give us all some Jelly"

User avatar
Mr.Shadowbxre
Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:24 pm
Location: Guelph,Ontario

Re: Sponsor a show?

Post by Mr.Shadowbxre » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:21 pm

normsherman wrote:
Totally. If Go-to or match.com asked to be a sponsor we'd be like "eh...would we be allowed to make fun of you in it?" I hate annoying unrelated ads. It'll never happen on our show.
I'm glad to see you will always keep it real Norm. It would be a refreshing change of pace if more sponsors got beat up on once in a while. "These guys suck!....Please buy their delightful products so they won't feel so bad about their douchebagginess."
The alien horde had finally halted. Our sonic weapons had worked. Their battle cry was no more. "Yep yep yep yep, uh huh!"
---------------------------

Post Reply