88 lines about 88 drabblecasts

What works for Drabblecast? What doesn't? New ideas? Speak up!
normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:20 am

I could do Dylan without singing in Dylan style. I agree that that might distracting.
Necessary gratuitousness is my middle name- any splats/face eating/cat dissolving will be done ever so tastefully.
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:04 pm

normsherman wrote:I could do Dylan without singing in Dylan style. I agree that that might distracting.
Necessary gratuitousness is my middle name- any splats/face eating/cat dissolving will be done ever so tastefully.
That'd be good. But of course, you're just trying to get out of reggae. ;-)

Wierd Al's "BoB" is such a great treatment of Dylan. The whole thing in palindromes is just awesome.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

adam

Post by adam » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:52 pm

Kevin Anderson wrote:I like the folk guitar style, but I never know what the hell Bob Dylan is saying. I'd hate for Norm to write 88 lines and no one be able to understand any of them.
did you mean his lyrics or his voice? i think if you picked 80(ish) lines from our drabbles and put them together it would come out exactly like a set of dylan lyrics- completely nonsensical and absurd, but seeming like their getting at something deeper. so he seems like a perfect fit. people didn't care that he mumbled too much because his lyrics woudlnt make sense if you could hear them so what's the difference. norm could deliver an intelligable version though. a dylanized drabble would have universal appeal cause it might come across as a funny parody to non-drabble listeners, rather than just a string of inside jokes only we would get.
unless by some miracle norm can put these lines together into something independently coherent, but that's a pretty tall order.

adam

Post by adam » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:29 pm

:idea: oooh or what about this- considering the vast array of different styles/tones/genres and stuff in the stories, i can picture a really incredible song that weaves totally different sounding movements together into one mighty opus. think bohemian rhapsody. as a style of music, that would be the best representation of the drabblecast- a creative, unified mish-mosh of styles.

**an eerie symphonic intro full of pumpkin seeds and wiggly people segues into a hard-rockin movement of demon guardians and killer ducks, key change, then brought together with an upbeat, feel-good resolution of black and white animals and jelly park**

i think our only genre requirement should be that there are at least 3 of them.

Chivalrybean

Post by Chivalrybean » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:05 pm

Kevin Anderson wrote:I like the folk guitar style, but I never know what the hell Bob Dylan is saying. I'd hate for Norm to write 88 lines and no one be able to understand any of them.

As far as splat sounds, I feel about them the same way I do about gratuitous sex and violence in film. Its all good, as long as its necessary and important to the plot.

At least one really good one. {;0D

Regge would be fun, too. I did think of Weird Al's "Bob" song when I suggented Dylan. I don't even listen to Dylan, so why did I suggest it? Oh well, strange listerners I guess.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:01 pm

Well, as one of the 88 donors, my 2¢ is that it's all good. I don't want to saddle Norm with too stringent of criteria. I would like all the verses to somehow flow together and relate to each other, but beyond that I'm not particular. Whatever y'all decide is good.
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:24 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Well, as one of the 88 donors, my 2¢ is that it's all good. I don't want to saddle Norm with too stringent of criteria. I would like all the verses to somehow flow together and relate to each other, but beyond that I'm not particular. Whatever y'all decide is good.
I didn't know paypal would do 2 cent transfers. Huh.

I agree that these are fine suggestions, but it's up to the Normiester to pick what makes it sound good.

Oh, and good job photoshopping. :-)

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:41 pm

Well, unless anyone has an objection, why don't we agree to let Norm go with the style he tinks will work best.

And with at least one splat sound effect for Chiverybean.

I'd like the episodes to be referenced in order 1,2, 3, and so on. Its the Greman in me.

And what do you guys think about capping the episodes at 80, instead of 88?

How say you all?
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:50 pm

I think the number of verses should simply be the number of whatever Drabblecast episode the Bbardle appears on. If it's on episode 75, 75 verses, if it doesn't get done until episode 87, then 87, etc. That way the longer Norm takes the more work he has to do. :D
Advertise in this space!

Chivalrybean

Post by Chivalrybean » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:20 am

I'll get the $ in ASAP. I've changed banks, no money in PayPal at moment, but that reminds me, I need to pay too much for my car insurance.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:19 am

Kevin Anderson wrote:Well, unless anyone has an objection, why don't we agree to let Norm go with the style he tinks will work best.

And with at least one splat sound effect for Chiverybean.

I'd like the episodes to be referenced in order 1,2, 3, and so on. Its the Greman in me.

And what do you guys think about capping the episodes at 80, instead of 88?

How say you all?
I'm good with leaving it in his hands.
Tom

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:33 am

K, I've got started on this. The goal is by episode 81ish .
Donating participants, let me know if you have objections to these things:
It looks like it will be predominantly, or at least starting in the Dylan style, but after 25 or so will change key or style slightly to remain engaging. The overall unifying message will stay the same and hopefully most of the melody of the chorus, but things will most likely, as adam mentioned, take on a more episodic "bohemian rhapsody" metamorphosis. The lines will mostly be in order of DC episodes, occasionally being grouped with another line, some being more subtle references to episodes that direct approprioations.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:48 am

No objection here. Sounds great.
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:11 am

Update. 75 Lines about 75 Drabblecasts for 75th Anniversary Special. Good to go.
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:44 am

normsherman wrote:Update. 75 Lines about 75 Drabblecasts for 75th Anniversary Special. Good to go.
Ummm... So we have to wait 73 years? Yikes. If you didn't want to do it, you could just say...

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:45 pm

Well sorry folks, this'll probably get delayed a little bit with Episode 75...as I am still trying to get Episode 74 up!!
No worries though, I know that Tom is just testing us- we may be in the belly of the whale now friends, but Tom will deliver us if we but only have faith. Either him or Apple tech support.
"Give us all some Jelly"