File Format

What works for Drabblecast? What doesn't? New ideas? Speak up!
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

File Format

Post by Kevin Anderson » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:03 pm

I don’t claim to know all there is to know about podcasting but I have noticed a few standards out there that seem to be emerging. Standards and Norms change all the time but for now it seems that MP3 is the norm for podcasting. Call it the lowest common denominator of audio files if you want, but every podcast I listen to and don’t listen to, all put their episodes in MP3.

Now I don’t mean to use the bandwagon appeal as my argument, but for me personally it’s just a matter of convenience. I have to transfer the drabblecast into an MP3 in order to listen to it. Sometimes I forget, burn it to a CD, then get out on the road only to realize I have no drabblecast to listen to.

At the very least, can you make a direct downloadable MP3 as an option?

adam

Post by adam » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:33 pm

seconded!

direct mp3 download, especially for the earlier archived stories, now only listenable to through quicktime streaming (bleeeh) for newer listeners would be fantastic, if doable.
though the perks of this feature would cut into the perks of kevins great suggestion #2 below- of the cd. unless you toss in the other goodies i mentioned.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:40 am

Yes, this is something I really wish we could do and its surely an issue. I can make the files mp3, no problem- the problem is that I use Mac's iLife to publish the podcast, and because it's so user-friendly it doesn't give you many options for things like this.
I haven't been able to find a way to have downloadable mp3s put up- iLife automatically converts everything to mp4 for quicktime/itunes. I was hoping the feedburner subscription link would give people more options and make it more accesible, and I think it has, but I definately need to figure out how to get downloadable mp3s up.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:15 am

You're using iWeb, Norm? If so, I'm 99% sure you can put up a link to any file of any type. Check out the link at the top of this page I made with iWeb. Right click it and you get the option download the linked PDF file.

The trick is to type some text and set that text as a link to the mp3 file. If you just drag the mp3 into your document, it makes the Quicktime movies.

(I think. I'm not really tech support here.)
Advertise in this space!