Comments vs. the Forum

What works for Drabblecast? What doesn't? New ideas? Speak up!
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Comments vs. the Forum

Post by Kevin Anderson » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:09 pm

Norm

I’ve noticed in the past few episodes that there has been a plea for more feedback and or participation in the forums. I think you might have lost a certain segment of possible listener feedback by dropping the comment section on the home page.

Some of your listeners, I’m betting (and I include myself in this category 90% of the time), just want to post a simple thumbs up or thumbs down. Lots of people don’t do the forum thing and by having a quick post comment section, you might get some more feedback. I think you can see this working pretty well in the escape artist sites. Many of the people that post comments on the story don’t participate in the forums. There are some that do both, but there is a lot that just swing in post a comment, then move on.

I’ve even seen opposing consensus on stories, were in the story posts are positive, while the forum feedback on the same story tears the episode up. This just indicates to me that for the most part, forum people and comment post people are different kinds of folks.

If your goal is get more feedback from move of a variety of listeners than I think you should consider bringing the comment section back.
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

tastycakes

Post by tastycakes » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:04 pm

I've got to agree w/ Pumpkinhead, er, Kevin here. Although, one problem with that is people posting too much info about the story on the comments. Which is the reason why the comment section was abolished in the first place, I believe. But, maybe it is time to give it another try.
One day he will look into what a ‘stigmata’ really is; for now, it is his trump card for getting out of work. He simply says ‘stigmata’ and they say ‘shit, hope you feel better soon.’ End of story.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:21 am

I must be one of the forum people then. I never understood having comments on the website. However, I guess it doesn't hurt to have both.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:59 pm

This is my non-scientific opinion, but I think audience participation on the forum may be suffering because there's just too much forum. If you count 'em, there are no less than 17 different boards, most of them with possibly confusing titles. I hypothesize that a casual user drifting in might be daunted by that, or that semi-regulars might get the impression that it's too much to keep up with.

I really think the forum would be more effective if it were consolidated down to just four or five boards. That would present a much more user-friendly face to the world. Doing so shouldn't be difficult, since most of the boards have very few threads. 8 (half) of them have 3 or fewer, and some of them are more-or-less expired and will probably never be posted on again.

I recommend we condense everything down to these:

1.) Story Discussion
2.) Unique Events/Promotions
3.) Podcasts
4.) General/Weird Discussion
5.) User Creations

Everything on all the boards falls under one of those categories. The forum would be much tidier that way, and we wouldn't end up with a lot of dead boards. I suspect more people would turn up more often if the place looked more hospitable.
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:01 am

I have to agree with Tweedy. I think our forums are pretty broad. I kind of like it that way- it's the way a lot of forums are and I love seeing topics about Squid CookBooks etc, but I think it can be overwhelming to newcomers.

At the same, time it seems to me, if you love Drabblecast you'll join the forums and be a part of the community if you have the time and interest. If you like the Drabblecast you'll listen as it hits your pod when you have a commute. Seems like those two demographics will always be present.

As far as comments, yah- the old way sucked cuz iweb made comments viewable as you listened to the story from the site, so the story was often ruined if there was a twist. I'll look into seeing if there's a hack or newer update. We did have 5-10 comments per story even back in episode 20 so clearly tons of people comment that aren't interested in joining the forums.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:18 am

Well, Squid cookbooks would go into "Weird Discussion," which is basically just "Drabble News" but with a formal sanction to talk about other stuff like movies or science or whatever. "Drabbles", "Short Stories" and "Drabble Art" collapse into "User Creations." "Con Pandemonium" becomes a thread in "Events/Promotions" instead of being its own board.

I don't think condensing things would hurt the breadth of topics any.

Are you buying a squid cookbook, Norm, or do you consider it blasphemous?
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:44 am

Well that sounds like a good plan then, I'm fine with it.

I'm mostly into the bigguns, and from what the book says they don't taste so good, so I'm alright with it. :-)
"Give us all some Jelly"

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:30 pm

R U dropping the comments section on the web site?
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer