How'd you find Drabblecast?

What works for Drabblecast? What doesn't? New ideas? Speak up!

How did you find out about the Drabblecast?

A friend told me about it
12%
Heard it talked up on another podcast
56%
Discovered it on my own at _________ while searching for new podcasts
9%
Saw an advertisement on the web at _________
No votes
Saw someone blogging about it at _________
7%
Saw an advertisement in the real world at ________
No votes
Other: ___________
16%

Total votes: 43

normsherman
Site Admin

Re: How'd you find Drabblecast?

Post by normsherman » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:35 pm

K I put some keywords up on main description, doesn't seem too cluttered. We'll see if it helps!
"Give us all some Jelly"

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:40 pm

TheJebi wrote:And so, since this is the "Don't Be Shy, Suggestion Box thread", I will suggest that whoever is responsible for this kind of stuff gets to work, and makes the DC have a higher google ranking, or whatever you call it, so that people just getting interested in this kind of podcasts can find us directly, and not have to go through EP, or anybody else.
Save 'em some time, and get 'em started earlier... :)
Companies spend thousands of dollars trying to answer this question! Your Google rank isn't something you get to pick. Google's algorithm is complicated and not fully public. Here's what wikipedia says: "The PageRank algorithm computes a recursive score for web pages, based on the weighted sum of the PageRanks of the pages linking to them. The PageRank derives from human-generated links, and is thought to correlate well with human concepts of importance."

Links are key. Google doesn't just index words on a webpage. It mostly ranks the website based on how many pages link that site, and it weights each of those links by how many pages link to that site, etc. So the way to bounce higher on Google is to get linked a lot. That's why bloggers link all the time. That's why it's considered poor etiquette to talk about someone and not link them. It's a tiny little payment.

However, it's my understanding that Google also learns from searches. If people were routinely looking for "sci-fi podcast," going to down 5 pages in the results (or whatever) and clicking on Drabblecast, it would eventually climb higher in results. That's my understanding, although I don't think anyone outside Google really knows how that works.

For instance, I named my fantasy world and first book "Panamindorah." Terrible choice for internet marketing because it's a terrible thing to spell. But, hey, I was 14 when I named it, and I didn't want to throw away what branding I'd already achieved. When I first started podcasting, I was sad because I knew people would misspell it, and misspellings never found me. You had to hit it spot on. I knew I was doing OK when various vowel switches began to produce my website. Now you can spell it a lot of kookie ways and still find me. How did Google do that? I'm not sure. I certainly didn't put a page on my website with all possible misspellings in order to trigger their webcrawlers. It's something more sophisticated than that.
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:43 pm

normsherman wrote:K I put some keywords up on main description, doesn't seem too cluttered. We'll see if it helps!
I bet that does help. I just said all that stuff about links, but that's really for ranking. You gotta get in the results before you get ranked. Heh.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:28 pm

With regards to Panamindorah, that's almost worse than my company name, Steradian technologies. I have to spell that one out to customers 10 times each day.

I think my clue should have been in the meeting with the lawyer, when setting up the LLC. He asked how to spell it, and I misspelled it out loud.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

TheJebi

Post by TheJebi » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:19 pm

alhilton wrote: You gotta get in the results before you get ranked. Heh.
Okay, I just quickly scanned the first ten ages of results after googling "science fiction podcasts", "sci-fi podcasts", and even, "strange stories podcast", and the DC was nowhere to be found. :cry: So it seems you're right alhilton, and the DC is completely off of Google's radar. Makes me wish I had some knowledge about this sort of thing so I could help out, but I sadly have none.
“I’m not TheJebi because I like the hum of a lightsaber in my hand… and I’m not TheJebi because I like being TheJebi. I’m TheJebi because the Galaxy needs me to be TheJebi.”

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:09 pm

Yes, my knowledge of such internet lore is pretty much confined to my efforts at gamingi the mega-beasts voting system in favor of P.A.I.N.G.U.I.N.

Call me Karl ROUve.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:48 am

TheJebi wrote:Okay, I just quickly scanned the first ten ages of results after googling "science fiction podcasts", "sci-fi podcasts", and even, "strange stories podcast", and the DC was nowhere to be found. :cry: So it seems you're right alhilton, and the DC is completely off of Google's radar.
Well, yes. But DC doesn't actually market itself as a sci-fi podcast or even a speculative fiction podcast. Norm doesn't call it that, and it isn't. The tag line says it all. The other search that matters is iTunes, which is notoriously stupid, but still - you only get a few key words, and it's worth thinking hard about them. iTunes's system is, I think, a plain old word index.

The good news is that most people seem to find new podcasts by listening to old podcasts. Podcasts seed each other. They don't usually get found by direct search.

For Google - if you have a blog, and you want DC to get more attention, link it. Those links all get counted, no matter how small or insignificant your website. Webcrawlers find them and bump DC higher in search results. This is why podcasters beg you over and over to blog about them and link them. It's not just because that person's friends will see the entry. It's because the whole web will see the entry.

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:36 am

tbaker2500 wrote:With regards to Panamindorah, that's almost worse than my company name, Steradian technologies. I have to spell that one out to customers 10 times each day.

I think my clue should have been in the meeting with the lawyer, when setting up the LLC. He asked how to spell it, and I misspelled it out loud.
:lol: That's hilarious! Vowels - they are trouble.

I won't be releasing another book with a made-up word in the title. It just causes too many problems with marketing and branding. Live and learn. Of course, I now have people who seem to think I made up the word cowry, when in fact it's a common seashell. Then a listener chastised me for not spelling it the Ausie way (cowrie). You cannot win.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:56 pm

Hmm, this poll needs a "Heard Norm on Doctor Demento" option, but I guess that will have to go under Other, since modifying the poll throws out the old results.

I have noticed lost of first posts recently, however. I wonder if the international radio show exposure is a factor.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:34 pm

Guess they're all filing 'other' - watch this post.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com