More Than 10 Episodes in the RSS Feed

What works for Drabblecast? What doesn't? New ideas? Speak up!
BooBoo

More Than 10 Episodes in the RSS Feed

Postby BooBoo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:22 am

Would it be possible to put all of the episodes in the RSS feed like some other sites do? I've newly discovered this podcast and am looking forward to going through the back catalog, but I listen to podcasts with a podcatcher on my phone, so I can only access the last 10 episodes. Just wondering if there is a reason you only make the last 10 episodes available.

Other than that, amazing podcast!

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: More Than 10 Episodes in the RSS Feed

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:26 am

I suspect it is the default setting for the RSS feed. The site admin, tbaker2500, will know more.

I just noticed that http://www.drabblecast.org/ has 6 RSS feeds, including one that 404's out! A couple of the feeds are duplicates, while one includes both regular episodes and "B sides".

Anywho, welcome aboard, BooBoo! But, shame on you for not visiting drabblecast.org proper, in all its graphic glory! :)

PS: You can get big ol' chunks of episodes at the Downloads page.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:21 am

ASID, which RSS is 404'ing?

Hello BooBoo!
I'm going to investigate the pros and cons of putting the whole archive in the feed. I'll get back to you that soon.

In the meantime, you can easily visit http://www.drabblecast.org/downloads/ and download massive chunks of episodes. (Looks like I need to update that list a bit.)

Do you use the iTunes feed, or the MP3 feed?

Thanks for the input and welcome to the Drabblecast!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:12 am

http://www.drabblecast.org/comments/feed/

Okay, it's not 404-ing exactly, but it returns blank, or empty, or with some "Not found" XML.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:38 am

Thanks. That's because comments are turned off. I should clean it up, but it's not the highest priority right now.

I've bumped the podcast feed up to 100 episodes. I'm looking into if iTunes dropped their RSS feed size limit or not. There is a new option in beta which should allow a full back catalog, which would be nice. I'll keep working on it. Thanks for the input!

BooBoo

Postby BooBoo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:21 am

Thanks a lot for bumping up the feed to 100! I've just donated $10, totally worth it.

My podcatcher isn't showing the 100 yet, but I'm sure it will soon. I don't use itunes cos I'm not a teenage girl or a little old lady :P j/k I use "Pocket Casts" on android as my podcatcher and plug my phone into my car stereo to listen to podcasts mostly. Occasionally listen before bedtime, but I hate to fall asleep while listening so I prefer listening in the car during my commute.

I don't care for listening on the 'puter as I prefer a more relaxed environment for consuming media, and it is a bit of a pain to download from the 'puter then transfer to phone, and then the media player doesn't bookmark spots in Mp3s so I can't listen to anything else once I start a podcast. Listening with the podcatcher is always the best option.

BTW, when I added Drabblecast to my podcatcher it defaulted to the M4a feed which is not good for android as you can't pause and resume a M4a in the same spot, it only goes back to the M4a chapter mark or whatever. Luckily I figured out I needed to add the Mp3 feed specifically.

Anyway, thanks for the 100 past episodes!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:37 am

Thanks for the support! I know Norm really appreciates it.

The MP3 feed now goes back to ep 174. If you don't see it yet, you should try refreshing the feed. Also, you may need to look for a function which display all episodes, it's common for only the last 10 to be displayed.

Ah, I found it here: http://iphone.appstorm.net/reviews/life ... -podcasts/
"At the bottom of Episodes page, an option is available to show all available episodes of the podcast. Once the All Episodes page loads, you’ll be greeted with a list of episodes which you can add to your queue by tapping the +Add button."

This will give you access to the full 100.

musendrophilus

Postby musendrophilus » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:38 pm

Could you do the same for http://www.drabblecast.org/feed/podcast-m4a, please?

I use Downcast, the program insists on using that URL and I can't change it in Downcast. Any other way, I get strongarmed into using the Apple podcast app which leaves little to be desired in usability.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:17 am

I meant to do that, but forgot. It's done now, thanks for the reminder!

Return to “Don't be Shy...”